Who bakes for cake sales?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Who bakes for cake sales?

Postby Pepper Pig » December 9th, 2019, 10:28 am

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this :oops: (given that I left the eggs out of the Christmas cake this year). :D

My daughters are running the London Marathon next year for Crohns and Colitis. Philippa suffers badly from colitis but her treatment has been managed extremely well. They are also doing other fundraising to try to reach their target. Phil is a PE teacher and her school is holding a cake sale next Monday for the charity and I've been asked to bake some things. I am SO out of the baking loop and I need recommendations that are saleable and (mostly) quick to make. Her school is about 90% Muslim so I'm not sure whether there are any ingredient no-nos, possibly not though.

I'm putting in the girls' Just Giving link just so you can see how they are doing. I'm a proud mummy.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/philippa-rebecca
Last edited by Pepper Pig on December 9th, 2019, 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Who bakes for cake sales?

Postby liketocook » December 9th, 2019, 10:48 am

My go to for these over the years has always been shortbread or empire biscuits and tablet. For Christmas sales I usually make star shaped shortbread and half dip it chocolate. The tablet gets cut into bars then wrapped in greaseproof paper with the parcel sealed with a festive sticker. Both have always sold really well and are nice and quick to make (and can be done in advance).
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 9th, 2019, 10:53 am

I have noticed in recent years that people seem to like things (like bars, cupcake/fairy cake type things) that they can just buy one of. Back in the day it was more usual to buy a whole cake or a small batch to take home for tea.

Scones, fruit loaves, shortbread, iced cupcake/fairy cakes .... I might do a butter iced coffee and walnut sponge because I know I can do it quite well but a Victoria sandwich or similar might be easier. Everyone seems crazy about carrot cake these days too.

I have not studied Muslim dietary laws in any great detail but worked with several people who observed the faith, all of whom enjoyed eating cake! I think if you avoid gelatine and alcohol it should be acceptable, to be on the safe side use vegetable fats. Eggs etc seem to be ok but I noticed that rennet is mentioned sometimes so perhaps avoid cheese scones or cream cheese topping. Possibly not anything that is associated with the traditional festivals of other religions too. You could make any of the things I mentioned following those guidelines (do you have to list the ingredients?)!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 9th, 2019, 11:08 am

I don't think I do EM. But I would flag up anything at all challenging.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 9th, 2019, 12:34 pm

I bake for WI cake stalls, and would endorse the idea of tray bakes where people can buy an item - especially as it’s at school. If you go for whole cakes you can cut them in half. A whole cake properly priced can be a bit expensive, we find that half Victoria sponges etc sell well.

Shortbread, flapjacks, brownies all sell well. Gingerbread/ biscuits could be seasonal?

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 9th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Busybee wrote:I bake for WI cake stalls, and would endorse the idea of tray bakes where people can buy an item

Exactly what I was going to say. I bake for regular 'tea & chat' sessions at local village hall (surplus is 'bought' for a small donation to hall funds) and I generally make tray-bakes or (for tomorrow's session) Christmas biscuits. I also used to bake regularly for local animal rescue bring & buy sales when at previous house. Muffins used to go down well as did flapjacks.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 9th, 2019, 12:48 pm

Thanks everybody. Lots of great ideas!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby smitch » December 9th, 2019, 2:33 pm

You can buy vegan marshmallows (Freedom brand) in Sainsbury's and Holland & Barrett https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/freedom-mallows-vegetarian-marshmallows-vanilla-60035915

Although not particularly cheap, one bag is enough to make Rocky Road (I use Nigella's recipe). I also used vegan 'butter' and chocolate plus ginger nut biscuits. I found it was really popular with Muslim students at our charity bake sale as they cannot normally eat it.
smitch
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 9th, 2019, 4:43 pm

I often make Mary Berry's little lemon drizzle cakes, except instead of using an expensive and fiddly tin I make them in cupcake cases, they are dead easy and very popular
https://blog.lakeland.co.uk/recipe/mary-berrys-little-lemon-drizzle-cakes/

They aren't too rich
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 9th, 2019, 4:46 pm

Thanks both. Lots to think about.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » December 9th, 2019, 4:59 pm

millionaire's shortbread?
i make a sort of tray bake with 4oz oats, 4 oz wholemeal flour, 4 oz butter and 4 oz sugar. mix up and firm half the batch into a cake tin/tray put a layer of stewed and mashed dates or apricots etc, or mincemeat, put the other half of the mix on top and press down a little then bake at around 180°c until it starts to colour (maybe about half an hour? i would have to go and have a look).
scullion
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » December 9th, 2019, 7:44 pm

I'm a bit late to the party but I would 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) traybakes. They're quick and easy to put together and once cut give plenty of portions.
I have the right sized tin for Mary Berry's recipes but, better still, to make it a lot easier Lakeland sell the foil version.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby wargarden » December 10th, 2019, 2:19 pm

have not seen cake auction except at local county fair.
wargarden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 10th, 2019, 3:20 pm

wargarden wrote:have not seen cake auction except at local county fair.

It’s not an auction, we probably do have those but I’ve never seen one, just a stall at a community event selling items as in a market.

We do quite often have a raffle (lottery) for a larger, more impressive cake, specially decorated Christmas cakes, in aid of church or school events.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 14th, 2019, 4:25 pm

I’m doing the Mary Berry lemon drizzle tray bake and was all set for Nigella’s rocky road. Daughter has just told me that the school is a nut free zone. :o

Best flapjack recipe?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 14th, 2019, 6:17 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I’m doing the Mary Berry lemon drizzle tray bake and was all set for Nigella’s rocky road. Daughter has just told me that the school is a nut free zone. :o

Best flapjack recipe?

Mine, of course! IaninFrance always thought so!

https://mainlybaking.blogspot.com/2019/ ... jacks.html

Doesn't have to be dates or ginger in them - any combination of dried fruit you like.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby smitch » December 14th, 2019, 6:38 pm

I don’t put nuts in my rocky road. Just marshmallows and biscuits. Sometimes use some dried cranberries too. I’ve just st realised Nigella has two different recipes, sorry!
smitch
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 14th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Actually I think she has three Smitch!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » December 14th, 2019, 7:11 pm

Suelle wrote:https://mainlybaking.blogspot.com/2019/09/date-and-ginger-flapjacks.html

Doesn't have to be dates or ginger in them - any combination of dried fruit you like.

Sue, do your flapjacks have to have additions or can they be plain please? I'm after a good base for Millionaires Flapjacks.

Thank you.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 14th, 2019, 8:27 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:
Suelle wrote:https://mainlybaking.blogspot.com/2019/09/date-and-ginger-flapjacks.html

Sue, do your flapjacks have to have additions or can they be plain please? I'm after a good base for Millionaires Flapjacks.

Thank you.

They can be plain. I'd bake them a little longer to make them crisper if using them as a base for toppings.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby slimpersoninside » December 14th, 2019, 9:10 pm

Suelle wrote:
slimpersoninside wrote:

Thank you.

They can be plain. I'd bake them a little longer to make them crisper if using them as a base for toppings.

Thanks Sue
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 16th, 2019, 8:41 pm

Update. They raised another £145. I made rocky road and lemon drizzle tray bake. Krispy Kreme donated too, not sure via which outlet.

Thanks again!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 17th, 2019, 9:20 am

Hurrah!! Well done PP!! :tu: :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 17th, 2019, 9:22 am

Satisfying to know your efforts contributed to the total raised! Sounds lovely.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Janet » December 22nd, 2019, 5:17 pm

I made these at the weekend for a cake sale. They sold out before the official opening!

Chocolate traybake spread with chocolate fudge icing then cut into triangles and decorated with eyes, cherry nose and CurlyWurly antlers.

rudolf.jpg
rudolf.jpg (150.4 KiB) Viewed 520 times
Janet
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 22nd, 2019, 6:15 pm

Brilliant! On another thread I have been discussing choc traybake recipes. This will be the perfect decoration to do with GD! Thank you.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 22nd, 2019, 8:08 pm

Janet wrote:I made these at the weekend for a cake sale. They sold out before the official opening!

Chocolate traybake spread with chocolate fudge icing then cut into triangles and decorated with eyes, cherry nose and CurlyWurly antlers.

rudolf.jpg

What a great idea :tu: ... I love them :hi5: :kneel: :luv:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 22nd, 2019, 8:36 pm

Brilliant!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Rainbow » December 22nd, 2019, 10:33 pm

Great idea - not surprised they sold so fast.
What do you use for 'eyes'?
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Janet » December 22nd, 2019, 10:52 pm

Janet
Registered

Postby wargarden » December 23rd, 2019, 3:24 pm

I saw a cake sell for $100/£75 at cake sale for a bacon caramel smith Island cake with 14 layers.
no I did have chance to taste it.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Oat » December 23rd, 2019, 3:54 pm

I think this is probably just my way of thinking, but I can't get a grip of how to cut them into triangles without waste from a tray bake? Blonde moment maybe :lol:
Oat
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 23rd, 2019, 4:00 pm

I thought about this as I will be making some tomorrow. I an going to do them in a round tin and then cut a small section with a cutter from the middle for which there will be plenty of takers as a treat - then it can be cut into triangular slices with maybe just a small amount of nose trimming. I have the eyes, noses and antlers at the ready! I wish I had some of those nice rectangular cake cases.

You could cut a rectangular traybake into large squares then divide each in half too but you'd have to get the angle right.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 23rd, 2019, 4:22 pm

Oat wrote:I think this is probably just my way of thinking, but I can't get a grip of how to cut them into triangles without waste from a tray bake? Blonde moment maybe :lol:

Depends on the size of the tray, but I would cut in half down the length of the tray, then cut each strip into wedges, with the cuts placed to give 'almost' triangles which laid in opposite directions. You'd only lose a little at the ends that way.

There's an illustration about halfway down this blog post which illustrates what I mean, although I'd angle the cuts to leave a flat 'nose', rather than a point:
https://www.sugarsaltmagic.com/strawber ... tit-fours/
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Oat » December 23rd, 2019, 4:23 pm

A round tin fits my way of thinking! Thanks EM :lol:
Oat
Registered

Postby Oat » December 23rd, 2019, 4:27 pm

Suelle that explains it really well, and as EM said there would need to be some nose trimming ;)
Oat
Registered

Postby Janet » December 23rd, 2019, 4:28 pm

Oat wrote:I think this is probably just my way of thinking, but I can't get a grip of how to cut them into triangles without waste from a tray bake? Blonde moment maybe :lol:

I cut the whole slab into eight large rectangles / nearly squares (4x2). I used a 12x7inch baking tin. Each piece was then cut diagonally, but just missing the corners so you get right angled triangle with the sharp point missing. The resulting pieces aren't symmetrical. Sorry if that sounds like a geometry lesson!

Janet
Janet
Registered

Postby Janet » December 23rd, 2019, 4:33 pm

earthmaiden wrote:..........I wish I had some of those nice rectangular cake cases.

The cake cases are just flattened muffin cases with the sides folded up against the cake

Janet
Janet
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 23rd, 2019, 4:39 pm

Goes to show how clever both Janet and Suelle are! It would be easier to do a traybake - I will have to make a template - I am notoriously bad at geometry/ measuring things accurately :? :lol:.

Surprised at the cake cases, they look like the sort you used to get fancy cakes in in tea shops.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 23rd, 2019, 4:44 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Goes to show how clever both Janet and Suelle are! It would be easier to do a traybake - I will have to make a template - I am notoriously bad at geometry/ measuring things accurately :? :lol:.

Surprised at the cake cases, they look like the sort you used to get fancy cakes in in tea shops.

I think using a circular cake would work just as well - they won't have flat heads, then! :lol:
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » December 23rd, 2019, 5:33 pm

I'll see how I feel tomorrow!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Janet » December 23rd, 2019, 5:40 pm

Now I'm on the PC I've mocked up a template to explain the cutting.

Janet
Attachments
rudolf template.JPG
Janet
Registered

Postby Oat » December 23rd, 2019, 5:47 pm

Oh thats clever! I do struggle with things like this and often numerical things just leave me floundering, thank you for explaining it :)
Oat
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 23rd, 2019, 7:29 pm

:kneel: :kneel: brilliant!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 28th, 2019, 2:27 pm

The Reindeer cakes were a huge success, both for decorating and eating entertainment! Thank you so much for the idea (and slicing diagram!). GD was also delighted to discover Curly-Wurleys :rolleyes:.
20191228_142054_resized.jpg
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 28th, 2019, 3:18 pm

Brilliant EM! :) :D
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 28th, 2019, 3:51 pm

They look fab, delighted that GD has discovered the delight of a curly wurley.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 28th, 2019, 4:07 pm

We put the remaining half curly wurly in the larder to be eaten at a future date. On Boxing Day, various treats were on offer but she went straight to the larder to find the piece of curly wurly and blissfully enjoyed it!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 28th, 2019, 4:21 pm

Both teams of reindeer look fantastic!

Congratulations!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 28th, 2019, 4:24 pm

The last Curly Wurly I ate was when I was doing Slimming World. It took out one of my fillings.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Next

Return to The Kitchen