[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - weirdly named ingredient or dishes.

weirdly named ingredient or dishes.

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

weirdly named ingredient or dishes.

Postby wargarden » December 11th, 2019, 3:51 pm

here three i saw yesterday.
ingredients:
butcher butt ham.
pork fish

Dirinks
major butt's egg nog
wargarden
Registered

Re: weirdly named ingredient or dish.

Postby suffolk » December 11th, 2019, 3:56 pm

Afraid 'butt' doesn't really have the same resonance for us in the UK as it does for you in the USA .... we know from watching the Simpsons what it refers to, but it's not a term we use unless we're pretending to be Bart :lol:

Over here 'butt' is either a rainwater barrel in the garden, the end of the wooden stock of a shotgun or rifle, or a row of hides for the 'guns' at a driven game-bird shoot.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Re: weirdly named ingredient or dishes.

Postby Herbidacious » December 11th, 2019, 4:07 pm

I am sure I have spotted numerous ones in foreign languages which sound slightly amusing to me (in my linguistic ignorance.) Does that count? e.g. spotted in local Turkish supermarket recently.

49204465907_6911e3a6d7_c.jpg

At this risk of being vulgar, they also sell a certain Caribbean soup made from what sounds like roosters, but named after the uk version of this word, abbreviated. Contains no chicken, confusingly.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 11th, 2019, 4:42 pm

There are some funny ones around. Pork cheese, Toad in the Hole etc as well as hilarious translations. I thought that butt ham was just what it said (?).

Talking of translations, a friend who is fluent in German (I am not) told me today of a friend who went into a store in Germany and in a mix of German and English said he wanted a gift for his wife. Apparently the spoken word 'gift' means poison in German. He got some odd looks.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 11th, 2019, 4:46 pm

Originally a cheese was a foodstuff that was cooked and set to preserve it ... pork cheese, damson cheese, and a milk cheese. It was the same in France ... https://honest-food.net/fromage-de-tete-recipe/
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 11th, 2019, 5:33 pm

From my book of 'English Puddings - Sweet and Savoury' by Mary Norwak:

Apple Hog - a dessert once decorated with almond slivers to resemble hedgehogs

Apple Bolster - shaped like the double length pillows which used to be used on double beds

Devonshire Apple Drugget - a drugget is either a soft wool carpet or a protector for good quality carpets

Million Pie - a million was a type of marrow used as a fruit to pad out pies made with more expensive ingredients

Crit tart - a sweet tart containing the little crisp browned pieces left when fat is rendered, as well as apples, currants, cooked rice and spices
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Pepper Pig » December 11th, 2019, 6:33 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » December 11th, 2019, 11:38 pm

I picked up some 'Chongqing fish sauerkraut' from Loon Fung. It's not pickled fish, but preserved Chinese cabbage used in a traditional fish dish from Chongqing
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 12th, 2019, 12:08 am

StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » December 12th, 2019, 2:25 am

scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 12th, 2019, 8:17 am

How very ‘transatlantic’ of your family :shock: ;)
If Ma had referred to that part of our anatomy at all she would’ve said ‘bottom’ ... Pa would’ve said ‘backside’.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » December 12th, 2019, 9:12 am

Bottom or backside in my family too. Bum was a rude word so American references to tramps were frowned upon for two reasons. Butt was all the aforementioned non anatomical things and ass a quadruped.

We went to the Outer Hebrides in1996. At the Northernmost point there we encountered an American tourist who was much taken with the Butt of Lewis.

The younger members of the family would now probably use all the above in an American sense, and raise one finger rather than two if angered... :(
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 12th, 2019, 9:22 am

Not so much transatlantic as regional I think Suffolk, butt not used by my family but it has come up before that my mother, fairly broad Worcestershire, used a lot of words that most of the rest of the UK thinks of as American particularly New England. Mom rather than Mum for a start.
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 12th, 2019, 9:50 am

Quite, Sue. I think, as in Butt of Lewis, the original meaning was probably the end, tail or nether region of something and it is one of those old words which was lost in British English but not American. I am not near the dictionary at the moment to look it up.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 12th, 2019, 9:56 am

And the phrase in which I most often hear it is “the butt of the joke”
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » December 12th, 2019, 10:31 am

Reading books written by British authors two or three hundred years ago, words like valour, honour and labour were spelled without the u. (doubtless there were different regional spellings)

I've always presumed that the American pint (and consequently gallon and so on) was the old British one, the volume of a pound of water. A quick Google shows that isn't quite the case. The American system is the old British one, but the standard unit was the gallon and the bushel for liquids and solids respectively. I didn't appreciate that the fluid ounce was different under the two systems, I thought that their pint was 16 and ours 20 of the same floz.

Every day a school day :D
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 12th, 2019, 10:32 am

Skate's (k)nobs (perhaps other fish too ?) :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 12th, 2019, 1:25 pm

Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » December 12th, 2019, 2:07 pm

Kit-e-kat pie. To this day I do not know what was in it :shock:
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 12th, 2019, 2:14 pm

Bill Bryson's 'Made in America' dealt with the American vs British English language quite well.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 13th, 2019, 10:27 am

Rumbledethumps always make me smile - it a lowland Scots version of colcannon or bubble & squeak which includes swede as well as potatoes, cabbage and onions.
liketocook
Registered

Postby scullion » December 13th, 2019, 1:38 pm

i've just remembered that i used to buy butts of leather - again it's the (middle and) back end of a hide where the leather is more robust.

no-one has mentioned sussex pond pudding, yet, or clangers, star gazey pie, heavy (hevva) cake, spotted dick, plum duff - i'm beginning to get deja vu...
scullion
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » December 13th, 2019, 2:44 pm

I never used to think about it at school, but now I´m wondering where "faggots" came from :scared: ;)
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 13th, 2019, 2:49 pm

A faggot is something tied into a bundle ... as in a faggot of pea sticks cut from the hedgerow, or a faggot of herbs. A faggot of offal is wrapped in caul fat, like a bundle.
:D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 13th, 2019, 4:42 pm

The Italian name for the musical instrument we call the bassoon is "faggotti", because the instrument resembles a bunch of sticks stuck together.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Return to The Kitchen