[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Christmas Day breakfast

Christmas Day breakfast

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Re: Christmas Day breakfast

Postby suffolk » December 14th, 2019, 9:56 pm

Last edited by suffolk on December 15th, 2019, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby wargarden » December 15th, 2019, 1:46 am

Herbidacious i would be careful not to tell people; you make Yorkshire
pudding without drippings; they might call you a heathen or claim you
have committed an abomination against food.
wargarden
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » December 15th, 2019, 8:29 am

Wargarden clearly hasn't read Suff's post, or thinks he knows better. :rolleyes:

Back on topic
Christmas day breakfast here is porridge with demerara sugar, cream and a capful of whisky. :D
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Gruney » December 15th, 2019, 8:53 am

Gruney
Registered

Postby Gruney » December 15th, 2019, 9:10 am

Well I've just tried it - but it made my cap go all soggy.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 15th, 2019, 10:44 am

I think I can cope with those judgements, for the sake of my vegetarianism, Wargarden ;) Not sure if me being a Yorkshire woman (by birth and up bringing) gives me carte blanche to do them how iI want... or the opposite!
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 15th, 2019, 12:56 pm

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 15th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Isn't Clafoutis pretty close to a batter pudding pudding?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby wargarden » December 15th, 2019, 1:44 pm

the reason I say popovers are more versatile.
some filling or drizzles do not go well drippings.
Given the flavor of butter is less prominent then the flavor of drippings.

a British view.
Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail - Saturday 02 November 1929 p2
American Pop-overs Gaining Favour as Dinner Pop-overs are rather like Individual batter puddings, but little stiffer. They are beginning to served at luncheon parties In this country, with butter, Instead of dinner rolls. Delicious, their only drawback is that they are fattening! Make them in the coolest corner your kitchen, and keep all the ingredients as cold as possible. Beat up two eggs, add to them a cupful of milk, and then beat again. Stir in half cupful of flour, a little melted butter, and pinch of salt. Beat vigorously for three minutes .preferably with a ” wheel egg-whisk. Ha.e ready some large patty pans well greased, and hot as possible. Pour the mixture into these, and bake in hot oven for half an hour, or until risen and cooked. Serve once.

Western Gazette - Friday 28 December 1934 p11
Another toothsome tea-time dainty was what the Americans call Popovers. These can be made in deep, well-greased patty-pans if popover moulds arc not obtainable. They will be quite satisfactory cooked in this way. To make them take two teacupfuls of self raising flour, and place in a ba=in. up two egg< thoroughly with a pinch of salt, and add two teacupfuls of milk. Beat milk and eggs together thoroughly, then stir into the flour and mix until the whole is perfectly smooth. Well grease the patty pans. Place spoonful of the mixture each pan. and place in a hot oven; they bake in about half-an-hour. They rise up and turn a golden-brown, and can be eaten with piece of butter on the top, or little jelly or preserve.
wargarden
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 15th, 2019, 2:13 pm

In the UK we learnt a long time ago not to believe everything written in the newspapers. Some of us would go so far as to say that we don’t believe anything we read in the newspapers. :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 15th, 2019, 2:22 pm

This is getting boring. We all know that a batter pudding mix with various tweaks and cooked in a
variety of ways will make different things, most of which are versatile in their own way, some of which are enjoyed in various parts of the world for breakfast.

Does anyone have something really unusual for Christmas breakfast? I have never had goose liver in a sandwich or whisky in my porridge for any meal ... things to look forward to!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 15th, 2019, 3:46 pm

I think I have mentioned before that the cafe at our gym is now being run by a Masterchef semfinalist, Niisha Parmar.

https://www.nourishbynisha.co.uk/menu.php

The Huevos Rancheros are amazing. OH doesn’t do eggs and Josh is a vegan at the moment. I don’t think I’d go to all that trouble just for me. But in my dreams . . . .

I like shakshuka for breakfast too.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » December 15th, 2019, 3:50 pm

I love Huevos Rancheros or any similar version. Nice looking simple menu
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 15th, 2019, 3:56 pm

Me too! Yum.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » December 15th, 2019, 4:14 pm

Sorry about your cap Gruney.
I should have been more specific ;)
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 15th, 2019, 4:21 pm

What strikes me about that menu PP is the prices. I automatically think London prices are more expensive but you would pay considerably more up here for similar.

It’s a lovely looking simple menu, it all looks appetising.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Gruney » December 15th, 2019, 4:29 pm

Gruney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 15th, 2019, 4:30 pm

there are some great choices there. I've never had Huevos Rancheros. There's always been something I liked the look of more.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » December 15th, 2019, 5:41 pm

Wargarden, your compulsion with popovers is bordering on the obsessive and I think that some folks on here are getting a bit fed up with it and I don't think quoting snippets from a couple of newspapers that were written before the majority of us were born helps your case. As Suffolk has said above it's coming across as being arrogant, just accept the fact that most folks on here prefer Yorkshire puddings.

Back to topic: I'm away this Christmas and staying with friends, their breakfast tradition is scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on toast with Bucks Fizz to wash it down - and I'll be looking forward to that.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » December 16th, 2019, 12:45 pm

The menu looks great, gyoza bowl for me please.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby nursemimi » December 16th, 2019, 2:34 pm

For use cheesy scrambled eggs sausage, and toast and lots of fresh coffee
It much different then a weekend breakfast!

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » December 17th, 2019, 2:36 am

Breakfast on Xmas day could well be Huevos Rancheros - with habanero sauce - or Chilaquiles with green salsa. That´s what comes of being on holiday in Mexico!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » December 17th, 2019, 11:20 am

I love huevos rancheros, and Benny eggs for that matter. I do miss the bacon & goose liver on Christmas morning, but I still eat it one day over the season. My other favourite post Christmas breakfast is turkey dripping with bread or toast. It doesn't always happen though, if I'm not cooking the turkey.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Lokelani » December 21st, 2019, 6:43 pm

We tend to have our Xmas day meal at about 1, lunchtime. So just have the usual breakfast which for me is a yogurt. All the more room to save for the amazing lunch.

I'm hoping to make eggs benedict one morning as a real treat breakfast, it's just a matter of finding a day when we can have a tiny late lunch. I'm roasting the ham at the moment actually, it will be foiled up in portions for the freezer later. I usually do it Xmas Eve, but wanted to get a bit ahead this year.
Lokelani
Registered

Previous

Return to The Kitchen