[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Gougeres

Gougeres

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Gougeres

Postby Pepper Pig » December 18th, 2019, 12:33 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Gougeres

Postby suffolk » December 18th, 2019, 2:05 pm

Love gougeres ... they were my 'must have' at my 1970 wedding buffet :chops: and really quite a doddle to make too.

Back in the 'dinner party' days of the 70s a gougere ring was one of my 'go to' starters ... in fact some people (usually the men) would ask if I was going to serve it, if so they would definitely be accepting my invitation ... they liked a cheesy starter :lol:

Edited to add this: https://diplomatickitchen.com/2012/03/2 ... ring-form/
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 18th, 2019, 3:38 pm

Yum!

I have a recipe for cumin and Comté gougères. I must resurrect it. A good thing to make/do over Christmas (the list is growing and will doubtless not be ticked off...)

Felicity has borrowed one of my dinner plates, there...
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 18th, 2019, 4:15 pm

I love gougeres
I use a porion scoop
Might do some for New Year's Eve
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 18th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Oooh yes please!! :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 18th, 2019, 5:04 pm

They're obviously due for a come back ... the Hairy Bikers are making some this afternoon ... 'At Home for Christmas'.... mind you it's a repeat from 2017 so the come back is a bit overdue :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 18th, 2019, 5:50 pm

Nice. I particularly like the little bite-sized ones. As usual, no good for the annual pot luck supper as they'd need reheating :rolleyes:. Might be nice to make with GD one day.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 18th, 2019, 6:26 pm

I wouldn’t reheat them ... particularly not with a cheesy filling. I’ve never had them hot.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Lokelani » December 18th, 2019, 8:14 pm

A bit like profiteroles, when I first started cooking, they were one of my wow moments. That something so impressive that I thought would be impossible to get right, were actually jolly easy to make if you just followed simple instructions.

I'm really tempted to try making them again now, for the first time in about 20 years! :D
Lokelani
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 18th, 2019, 8:31 pm

Mmmmm! Cheese!!

I had some ages ago. Now I think I must make some before Christmas! :)
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Herbidacious » December 18th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Ocado do acceptable frozen ones if people don't feel up to making them - I think they might be the Picard brand. I suppose in view of this, and bearing in mind what Felicity says in the article ablut freezing before cooking, you could make them up, and freeze them to cook as and when you want them. I don't entertain, and with just of the two of us, it doesn't seem worth making a batch, unless we go down the gougere-dinner route. Which is not an impossibility. By any means :D
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 18th, 2019, 11:48 pm

StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 19th, 2019, 7:06 am

That's the kind I meant, Sue. Not bad cold but nicer at least slightly warm.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 19th, 2019, 9:07 am

Ah I see ... we used to do them when catering for parties, weddings etc, but wd always put a filling in ... my partner had a recipe for quite a light whipped mousse-type filling but I can’t remember it ... it was quite a long while ago now ... it might have been a Joscelyn Dimbleby one ... it’s her sort of thing ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 19th, 2019, 10:24 am

I know Rats makes a Gougère filled with chicken livers, but assume that is served hot as it’s a main course. I’ve seen big filled Gougère rings, like a savoury Paris-Brest, Josceline Dimbleby has a recipe for one that is served cold as the filling is dressed with mayo

But Felicity’s, and mine, are little cheese flavoured puffs to have as nibbles. Her instagram feed has been full of pictures of delicious looking golden nuggets as she tested :chops:
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Kitchen