[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Sugar Rush?

Sugar Rush?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Sugar Rush?

Postby earthmaiden » December 20th, 2019, 4:03 pm

I have just been looking at Mary Berry chocolate cake recipes online, one for a cake and one for a tray bake. I was astounded by the amount of sugar in each.

For the cake the ratio was 50g cocoa, 175g SR flour, 100g butter and 3 eggs to 300g sugar. The traybake was the same but 275g sugar.

I don't think I've ever made a cake where the sugar to fat ratio was so high (possibly Brownies but I've only made them once as they are too sweet). I thought it was one of those online errors- but surely not on two recipes?

Our family t&t choc cake recipe is an old wartime one, now that people like very light and fluffy cakes it could be considered slightly heavy, albeit delicious. I was looking for a nice t&t basic but chocolatey sponge recipe for a Christmas tray bake which will keep a couple of days.
earthmaiden
Registered

Re: Sugar Rush?

Postby wargarden » December 20th, 2019, 4:11 pm

do you mind how old the recipe is because i have chocolate sponge recipes that are.
20,40,50,80 and hundred years old.
wargarden
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 20th, 2019, 4:31 pm

I remember we had a discussion about reducing sugar in cake recipes - Suelle had some great tips. I'll see if I can find the thread and if it had anything useful for you, EM. And I agree with Brownies having an unbelieveably high sugar content in all the usual recipes. I was given the book of Desserts from the Loveless Cafe (USA) and just reading some of the recipes gave me toothache! (Just got back from having a large replacement filling .... have to be careful with it now over Christmas :lol: )
KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 20th, 2019, 4:39 pm

Yup, found it:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16702 - that was on Brownies ...

and this one that you reminded me I had already started, EM, when I started the Brownie thread :oops: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16286 on sugar free cake
KC2
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » December 20th, 2019, 4:47 pm

I have mentioned elsewhere that Mrs B made a red velvet cake containing 500g flour and 950g sugar. To be fair, about half the sugar was in the cream cheese frosting, but it worked out at 1000 calories a slice, if portioned according to the recipe.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby wargarden » December 20th, 2019, 5:00 pm

here is an 105+ year old CHOCOLATE SPONGE CAKE.
Lichfield Mercury - Friday 23 May 1913 p 3.
CHOCOLATE SPONGE CAKE. An easily made and delicious cake this, over hot water cupful sugar, two tablespoonfuls of grated chocolate and a little vanilla extract; remove from the fire and heat until very light, adding one cupful of flour sifted with a teaspoonful of baking powder and beating Steadily for fifteen minutes. Then fold quickly the stiffly beaten whites of four eggs. Bake immediately a slow Oven until leaves sides of the pan (a ring cake mould should he used), inverting the pan when cooked until it cools. Ice with a soft boiled icing.
wargarden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 20th, 2019, 5:16 pm

Thank you all for your comments. Very kind of you Wargarden but as I explained, I was looking for a modern recipe. Also one that keeps, the classic sponges aerated with whipped egg white tend to need eating on the same day.

I was really commenting with surprise that someone like M B would use so much sugar and wondered what others thought. Our wartime family one is 4:4:6 with one egg plus cocoa powder. It's nice. I may stick to it - I might try a hand blender or an extra egg to bring it up to 21st century tastes ;).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » December 20th, 2019, 5:30 pm

EM, I made the one in the link below as a sandwich cake but reckon a chocolate buttercream topped traybake version would work.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16847&p=496256&hilit=Chocolate+cake#p496256
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 20th, 2019, 6:23 pm

Thank you slimpersoninside. That and Suelle's similar recipe on the same thread look to be a success if you both declare it to be so! I imagine it's chocolatey and light. I shall try it.

KC2, thank you for going to the trouble of providing links too. All very useful!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby wargarden » December 20th, 2019, 7:35 pm

there is the chocolate sponge recipes that are low in sugar
from the ration period post WW2 of UK.

given the recipe I post the sugar ratio has alway been high since the hundred plus year recipe has
has same ratio to the ones you were referring to. may the solution is something that
counter acts the taste of sugar in sponge cake. such as something with a sour taste.
wargarden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 20th, 2019, 8:11 pm

Nigella has a recipe for a chocolate sheet cake or traybake that uses 200g sugar to 300g flour, plus frosting.

StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 20th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Chocolate cakes don't have to be that sweet, although it is the sugar which helps makes them dense and chewy, which is a favoured characteristic of chocolate cakes. There are a couple of Dan Lepard recipes which I really like, which aren't too sweet:

https://www.goodfood.com.au/recipes/dou ... pxzf2.html

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... pes-baking

The Lamingtons recipe works just as well split in half and made into a layer cake - it's good for a decorated cake as it rises evenly!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » December 20th, 2019, 8:38 pm

thank you Sue and Suelle. All those recipes look worth a try. Nigella's has the sort of amount of sugar I'd expect. The Lamington recipe looks very good too.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » December 20th, 2019, 9:16 pm

The Michael Barry one is a light sponge cake as opposed to the Nigella one which is described as fudgy. It depends what you're after as to which type you choose.

As an aside, I've tried many a chocolate cake recipe to find a light, spongy one that's nice and chocolaty, I now have it! I shall give it a go as a traybake with the topping from the Nigella one.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » December 21st, 2019, 8:12 am

There's certainly a trend towards light, sugary, often garishly coloured sponge cakes and away from traditional sponges and fruit cakes. My favourite chocolate cake is the HF-W chocolate & chestnut truffle cake which has got an infinite sugar to flour ratio :D . It's quite good at Christmas but not for our younger niece's nut allergy. Mrs B does one of the MB chocolate traybakes if we're feeding the outlaws.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 21st, 2019, 10:53 am

EM, I have a Two Fat Ladies 'adult' chocolate cake recipe that doesn't use fat at all (and very splendid it is too) so at least it cuts down on the overall calories a wee bit. Ratio is 225g plain chocolate to 225g unsalted butter, 280g caster sugar and 5 eggs. Basically, you melt the chocolate over hot water, cut the butter into chunks and beat it in, then do the same with the sugar, whisk up the eggs in a separate bowl until very frothy, gently fold into the chocolate mixture and pour into greased and lined 22.25cm tin. Bake in a bain marie for 1 hour at gas 4/180 degrees, let it cool completely before removing from bain marie and then store in fridge overnight. It's like a cross between a cake and a brownie in consistency and it is very moreish. Must make one again soon! :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 21st, 2019, 11:02 am

Thanks Seatallen! At this rate I'll be testing chocolate cakes all next year! All would be lovely at some point. I don't care for the sweetness or chewiness of Brownies and would never choose to eat them but most people I feed do.

In this case I just wanted a chocolate sponge of fashionable lightness. The Michael Barry one seems to fit the bill but this will be a great reference thread.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 21st, 2019, 11:45 am

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » December 21st, 2019, 12:01 pm

maybe she means no flour - but isn't that more like a mousse then?
in which case the calories per oz/g are probably higher!
scullion
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 21st, 2019, 12:02 pm

Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby KC2 » December 21st, 2019, 1:43 pm

KC2
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 21st, 2019, 1:45 pm

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 21st, 2019, 2:12 pm

Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » December 21st, 2019, 2:13 pm

Don't believe everything you read Suelle :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby wargarden » December 22nd, 2019, 5:02 am

here is ww2 sponge recipe low in sugar
sponge sandwich.jpg
wargarden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 22nd, 2019, 9:35 am

Very similar to my choc cake recipe Wargarden, except of course that has cocoa. Makes a very good cake but denser than people expect nowadays. I would certainly still use it for a chocolate sponge and choc custard pud.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 22nd, 2019, 1:06 pm

Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 22nd, 2019, 5:44 pm

Blast! I thought you’d suddenly discovered that butter was fat free and I could eat it with impunity (or even immunity :idea: ) and if that was so the same must be true of cream and cheese ... :drool:
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 22nd, 2019, 11:38 pm

There’s a book I might get round to reading called “Is Butter a Carb?” by two registered dieticians that sorts out some diet myths
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 23rd, 2019, 1:45 pm

Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 23rd, 2019, 2:13 pm

Phew!!! :woohoo: :clap:
suffolk
Registered

Return to The Kitchen