[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - report on the Campbells tomato soup cake.

report on the Campbells tomato soup cake.

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

report on the Campbells tomato soup cake.

Postby wargarden » December 24th, 2019, 6:09 am

Campbells tomato soup cake.
I made this cake Saturday and served it to some friends and
some other people. It tasted good and it was not as red
as AD for recipe might suggest it was more orange in
color. As for taste not to spicy and sweet with hint
the tartness of tomatoes.
this version is from 1950
The attachment tomato soup cake2.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
tomato soup cake2.jpg
Last edited by wargarden on December 29th, 2019, 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
wargarden
Registered

Re: report on the Campbells tomato soup cake.

Postby earthmaiden » December 24th, 2019, 8:03 am

Fascinating. Are there other sweet Campbells recipes that you know of?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 24th, 2019, 9:52 am

That’s interesting, I’d taste it if I got the chance but doubt I’ll make one, not having an occasion for it. Good to have a first hand report

I wonder if I the centre would stay soggy if not made in a tube pan? My banana bread recipe is a fairly sticky one, and has to be cooked in a tube / ring pan or the long narrow kind of loaf pan, otherwise it never cooks through.
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 24th, 2019, 11:09 am

Wow- never thought of such a thing. Good on you for trying it wargarden!
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby wargarden » December 24th, 2019, 1:11 pm

wargarden
Registered

Postby wargarden » December 24th, 2019, 1:31 pm

here are two earliest version of cake recipe i found.
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/41015301/
The Charlotte Observer
Charlotte, North Carolina
15 Feb 1930, Sat • Page 8

' Tomato Soup Cake
1 tablespoon lard
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 can tomato soup
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup raisins 1-2 teaspoon cloves
Cream sugar and lard In bowl add soup with soda dissolved in it
Add flour spices and raisins — mix thoroughly and bake for one hour
wargarden
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » December 24th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Curiouser and curiouser. I wonder if that would go well with my Bacon Jam?
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby wargarden » December 24th, 2019, 4:43 pm

karadekoolaid do serve Bacon Jam with cake often.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 24th, 2019, 6:02 pm

One question. Why?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby wargarden » December 24th, 2019, 9:43 pm

why what?
wargarden
Registered

Postby wargarden » December 25th, 2019, 12:17 am

an Australian version of the
Truth Sun 7 Feb 1932 p 20
Tomato Soup Cake.
REQUIRED: 1 cup granulated sugar, 1
cup melted butter, 1 tin tomato soup,
lever teaspoon baking powder. 2
cups flour, 1 teaspoon each ground cinnamon,
cloves and salt, 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg,
1 cup each chopped nuts and dates.

Method: Cream sugar and butter and
sift remaining dry ingredients together.
Add baking powder to soup and stir the
entire mixture together, adding the nuts
and dates last. Bake for 45 minutes.
To make icing, mix 1 packet of cream
cheese with 1) cups powdered sugar and
1 teaspoon vanilla. Still until creamy,
wargarden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 25th, 2019, 4:56 pm

Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » December 26th, 2019, 9:28 pm

:tu:
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 27th, 2019, 10:26 am

My 1985 Campbell's Cook book has recipes for fruited spice cake squares, Three-Fruit Cake Squares, Spicy Vegetable cake (the vegetables aspect is 'a handful of shredded vegetables'), all with tomato soup. Souper Cheesecake, Rice pudding, German cheese fruit kuchen, all with cheddar cheese soup. (Which we can't get in the UK?) It also has a few bready recipes which just call for 'condensed soup'. No flavour specified.
Curiosity and experimentation aside, I think they either need to be really good, or you need to have a surplus of Campbells condensed soup to want to make these often? Or a deficit of less processed ingredients.... Or making them with soup makes them easier to make? Or Campbell's soup is very cheap in the U.S? It's cheaper than here, but not s(o)uper cheap :) End of the day, though, just a fun novelty, I imagine.
The rice pudding one though...
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby wargarden » December 27th, 2019, 3:27 pm

Campbell tomato soup cost on average a $1/£0.76 a can or on sale $0.50 /£ 0.38 in usa
wargarden
Registered

Postby wargarden » December 27th, 2019, 4:13 pm

please define "s(o)uper cheap"
wargarden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 27th, 2019, 6:25 pm

I suppose that's relative!
A tin of Campbell's condensed is about £1. (= about $1.31)
Last edited by Herbidacious on December 29th, 2019, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 28th, 2019, 10:33 pm

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 28th, 2019, 11:06 pm

Interesting about all those sweet recipes Herbi. Vegetables and tomato soup sounds like a savoury loaf and could be alright!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 29th, 2019, 10:30 am

Hmm but the spicy vegetable cake was sweet. It has a load of sugar and syrup in it. Tomato soup is also sweet...

That's it. All of these things sound like maybe possibly they could be alright, but do not really sound delicious (to me). I am a bit risk averse when it comes to baking, though, as I do it so rarely, so if I do do it, I want it to be really worth it (taste wise) given the effort (not being practised at cake making, it take me a lot longer)... and worth the calories.

I think I have said before I have various British product-related cook books - T&L Golden Syrup, Marmite, HP sauce, Colemans etc.. Will have to have a flick through to see if there are any peculiarities in these as well.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 29th, 2019, 12:09 pm

Didn't realise that the spicy veg was sweetened. I imagined a tomato flavoured savoury bread where slightly sweet tomato soup as a base could work. Probably not worth wasting good ingredients to experiment!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 5th, 2020, 9:08 pm

I am just reading the Lateral Cooking book section on cakes and it mentions tomato soup cake. Apparently Sylvlia Plath made one the day she wrote Death & Co. The book says it was also known as Depression Cake, as in the '30s slump, due to its relative lack of expensive butter, eggs and milk.

The recipe in this book looks similar to the one at the start of this thread, but uses plain flour, bicarb and baking powder. She refers to its somewhat pleasing fox-fur colour :)
Last edited by Herbidacious on January 6th, 2020, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 5th, 2020, 11:23 pm

I hadn't noticed before that there were no eggs in either recipe above. The additional information makes it all the more interesting! :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby wargarden » January 6th, 2020, 5:07 am

earthmaiden if you would i will do evolution diagram of recipe from
origin to modern it might a take while. but sounds it sounds fun.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 6th, 2020, 8:26 am

Campbell's provides a brief account of it here:

https://www.campbellsoupcompany.com/new ... pice-cake/
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 6th, 2020, 9:26 am

Thank you Wargarden. I am not really that interested in it for you to go to all that trouble and Herbi's link is enough. I was interested that the original recipe on this thread seemed to tally with Herbi's findings about a cake to be made when luxury foods were scarce. Later recipes adopt luxurious ingredients such as more butter. The picture in Herbi's link shows up the 'fox fur' colour well :?. :D
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 6th, 2020, 4:47 pm

StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 6th, 2020, 5:01 pm

It's a dull-looking book, but she writes very amusingly. Worth having (to me) for that alone. I have not put anything into practice as yet though. It appeals to me because I get very anxious about baking - about straying from precise instructions, as I am not an experienced baker.

I'd have thought that with the lack of photos it might work well on Kindle. Not sure that her bulletpointesque vertical use of a word to introduce the different variants of a culinary item really works. (That will make no sense unless you have had chance to have had a good look at her book, I imagine!)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 6th, 2020, 5:03 pm

You could request a free Kindle sample of it, Sue...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 6th, 2020, 5:07 pm

Thanks - that was my worry, that the layout is part of the description on those quite large pages, and I can't quite imagine how it would work on Kindle, I need to see one I suppose

I have been surprised to find that authors don't get a comp of the Kindle edition, unless they ask for one, in fact most have not seen it. :?
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 6th, 2020, 6:36 pm

Their advanced copies will come from the publisher. Kindle is a separate thing, I guess. Not sure how it works. I don't think we (work) do kindle versions, although we did do digital books at one point.
Herbidacious
Registered

Return to The Kitchen