What did you eat for Christmas dinner ?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Postby wargarden » December 25th, 2019, 2:08 pm

wargarden
Registered

Re: What did you eat for Christmas dinner ?

Postby Busybee » December 25th, 2019, 2:40 pm

Nothing yet! We don’t eat until after the Queens speech - I’m aiming to sit down at 4pm.

Roast turkey, roast potatoes and parsnips, sprouts, carrots and peas. Pigs in blankets, bread sauce, cranberry sauce, stuffing and gravy. Christmas pudding with fresh cream, trifle for the non pudding eaters. Washed down with Tattinger and a dry Riesling. Port will be served after. We have had home made sloe gin cocktails this morning to sharpen the appetite.

What are you having Warfarden?

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby wargarden » December 25th, 2019, 2:52 pm

still cooking it so will report back later.
one of five desserts is a tomato soup cake with cream cheese icing
wargarden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 25th, 2019, 4:57 pm

Just cooking my goose (literally.... :D )
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby wargarden » December 25th, 2019, 5:46 pm

Seatallan wrote:Just cooking my goose (literally.... :D )

you post is very fowl!
wargarden
Registered

Postby Gruney » December 25th, 2019, 6:45 pm

Duck breast, with roast potatoes, carrots and parsnips; Savoy cabbage, sweated in onion, garlic and juniper berries - all with a cherry and red wine sauce.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 25th, 2019, 7:26 pm

I haven’t felt very well for a couple of days and the smell of food wasn’t very appetising. I had a slice of turkey, a roast potato and a parsnip with some bread sauce. Then I felt sick. Then the battery was flat on my car so the lads had to jump start me. Chris meanwhile had a lovely time as did the others including the niece and younger son who are newly vegan. Elder son catered and was, as ever, magnificent. Just sad I was a damp squib.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 25th, 2019, 8:19 pm

Hope you feel better soon Pepper. We were unwell a couple of weeks ago and are still not on top form, it seems to take a while to bounce back.

Plenty of rest and an early night.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 25th, 2019, 9:33 pm

Just the two of us today, so we had a grilled lobster each, with parsley, lemon zest and garlic butter, accompanied by potato salad with Ratte potatoes, finely chopped spring onions and cornichons with homemade mayo with a a little creme fraiche, and lamb’s lettuce lightly dressed with a classic vinaigrette. We drank a Picpoul de pinet with it.

Later on we had a fine cheeseboard with blue Stilton, Camembert and Belton Farm Red Leicester with fig relish and pickled walnuts ... and a small glass of late bottled vintage port (a lovely present from a kind friend).

Now I’m ready for bed ...
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 25th, 2019, 10:11 pm

Stuffed Guinea fowl, pigs in blankets, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, Brussels sprouts, carrots and green beans, followed by a meringue roulade filled with a chestnut cream and ricotta mixture.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby wargarden » December 25th, 2019, 10:28 pm

which type of pig in blanket:
pigs in blankets or
little pigs in blanket
wargarden
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 25th, 2019, 10:52 pm

wargarden wrote:which type of pig in blanket:
pigs in blankets or
little pigs in blanket

Chipolata sausages wrapped in bacon.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Rainbow » December 25th, 2019, 11:30 pm

We had a nut roast (BBC Goodfoods recipe) with roast potatoes, sweet potato, beetroot and pumpkin. Love the nut roast recipe but it takes a while to prepare, so only for Christmas!
Rainbow
Registered

Postby wargarden » December 26th, 2019, 12:47 am

Suelle wrote:
wargarden wrote:which type of pig in blanket:
pigs in blankets or
little pigs in blanket

Chipolata sausages wrapped in bacon.

reason i asked is here pig in blanket is usually
mini hot dogs in a pastry

little pigs in blanket is oysters wrapped bacon
wargarden
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 26th, 2019, 4:02 am

wargarden wrote:reason i asked is here pig in blanket is usually
mini hot dogs in a pastry

little pigs in blanket is oysters wrapped bacon

Oysters wrapped in bacon are Angels on horseback. Pigs in blankets are generally made with chipolatas or cocktail sausages
Catherine
Registered

Postby wargarden » December 26th, 2019, 5:02 am

Catherine Pigs in blankets made with chipolatas and cocktail
sausages is more modern post WW 2 use of the name before
that the name was to refer to oysters wrapped in bacon.
I you do not believe me I can cite over 100 recipes in UK, USA and AU
newspaper sources from pre 1900-1960.
wargarden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 26th, 2019, 8:32 am

Language changes over the years, as does food. We used to have chipolatas and bacon rolls at Christmas (by which I mean rashers of streaky (American style) bacon rolled and skewered). Then the major supermarkets started selling pigs in blankets ready made and people went mad for them. I have a friend whose husband is a butcher. Her job throughout the festive season is to make pigs in blankets until she is sick of the sight of them. Personally, I still prefer the sausages and the bacon rolls cooked separately.

Popular hors d'oeuvres used to be either Angel's or Devils on horseback. One was prunes wrapped in bacon, the other oysters. They are classic dishes, not traditionally known here as pigs in blankets and certainly not served on a Christmas lunch plate.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 26th, 2019, 10:52 am

Had a discussion elsewhere on this, and we all had the same memories.

When I was a child (60s) if you had sausages with a turkey they were unwrapped chipolatas, sometimes left as a string and draped round the bird, called “putting the mayor in chains” but we never did it at home and I think it was probably done more for magazine photos than at home

Forward a few years, and people started routinely wrapping the sausages in bacon (though I’m sure some families did it before) , and Marks & Spencer started selling them but I don’t remember the term pigs in blankets being used until later, and they certainly weren’t ubiquitous as they are now.

When I was in the Brownies a pig in a blanket was a cooked, warm, sausage wrapped in a slice of bread and butter, but I don’t think the term was widely used.

Yesterday we had (bought, small) pigs in blankets as the children wanted them. Other than that we had a 3 bone fore rib roast with roast potatoes and parsnips, sprouts, other veg, Yorkshire puddings and gravy. Then we had cheese later. I’m the only one who likes all the stuff with dried fruit in it so no mince pies or Christmas puds
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » December 26th, 2019, 3:23 pm

We had our Christmas dinner on the 24th, which is the traditional day for celebrating Xmas in many Latin American countries. We had hallacas ( Venezuelan tamales filled with cooked pork, chicken, peppers, onions, olives, capers and almonds) and, since half the guests were Portuguese, pasteis de bacalhao ( salt cod fritters) and porco com batatas ( pork and potatoes).
Then yesterday we made chicken and egg chilaquiles, and a BBQ to round off the day!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 26th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Nut roast with red wine gravy, bread sauce, roast parsnips, potatoes, stuffing, carrots. Mother had turkey slices.
Dessert was a raspberry, cream and white chocolate sponge gateau (purchased - there's no way I could a) make anything as beautiful and b) have time to do this as out the day before we went up) with more cream :oops: (Mother told me today that she doesn't like white chocolate. Is there an eye rolling emoticon?!)
And to drink...? husband had some posh red wine, I had some grapefruit tonic water I found in the fridge and mother had sour cherry juice! (For her pseudo gout...)
I had a slither of quiche with a dessertspoonful of coleslaw and some cold bread sauce on the side for tea and didn't have breakfast. Lunch (the dinner) wasn't massive. I just can't manage to eat tons of food anymore.
It went well in the circumstances. My mother enjoyed it a lot, but then her diet is unvaried and cold, apart from her daily poached egg, so it was a nice change for her. I thought it was alright too :) I am not accustomed to making meals that require timing and coordinating things, but it was all ok. Also grateful we didn't have to evacuate the room for a commode session during dinner. Today was another matter, though.

PP I hope you are feeling better.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » December 26th, 2019, 9:27 pm

Scallops with black pud and pea salsa
Fillet of venison in pancetta with roast potatoes, baby carrots, sautéed leek.
Christmas pud with white sauce for me, with cream for J
Cheese and crackers.
Far too much wine :lol:
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 26th, 2019, 10:32 pm

Probably like most folk -far too much.....
When I was growing up pigs in blankets were known as "Kiltie Sausages" and were a routine part of roast poultry dinners - mainly as way to stretch the meat as chicken/turkey was comparatively much more expensive than it is now. To me they have always been mini chipolatas wrapped in streaky bacon but some families used to skin ordinary sausages,form the meat into small patties and wrap the bacon round those. Although there were only four of us I made 38 of them and my nephew and son demolished most of them, tonight there are only two left and I suspect when my son returns from the pub quiz they'll be gone!
Yesterday we decided to not have starters or pud but while opening presents had some nice nibbles - smoked salmon blinis, dried figs & goat's cheese wrapped in parma ham, haggis bon bons and tempura prawns. I made a nice and easy dip to go with the bon bons (from the Waitrose website) which was mix of mayo, wholegrain mustard and whisky. We drank very spicy Bloody Marys with those.
The main event was Roast Ayrshire White turkey (which my son boned and rolled), roasties, mash, honey roast parsnips, bread sauce, vermouth glazed carrots, sprouts with bacon & chestnuts, pork, sage & onion stuffing balls, kiltie sausages and gravy. It was blooming delicous. :chops: My skinny as a lampost nephew ate two large platefuls and was the only one to attack some chocolates in the evening!
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 27th, 2019, 1:42 pm

wargarden wrote:
Seatallan wrote:Just cooking my goose (literally.... :D )

you post is very fowl!

:D :D :D

Goose was lovely :chops:

I made a forcemeat stuffing (including the goose liver) and we had roasties, mashed swede with crispy pancetta and sprouts. Potted shrimps to start and lemon meringue roulade for pud. Plus cheese and chocolates. And some seriously good wine. :hungry:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 28th, 2019, 9:04 pm

Only just seen this post - Christmas day seems a distant memory now. There was 4 of us sitting down to lunch ... after the Queen's speech ;) . In an effort to a) to limit waste and b) not buy what I may already have in the freezer (in other words, I am a tight wad whilst also trying to be conscious of the waste food mountain) - I had a turkey leg (drumstick and thigh), a small rack of lamb and a piece of beef. I was also trying to make use of my Instant Pot, so followed instructions for 4 minute beef (sounds unbelievable, but it works with a decent piece of beef which mine wasn't :rolleyes: ) and first thing in the morning, used the IP to cook the turkey under pressure, to be finished off in the oven later. Veg was roast potatoes, parsnip and carrot stir fried in honey (a la Gordon Ramsey) and brussels finished off in the wok with chestnuts and pancetta. I had read in Good Housekeeping that Tesco's sausage meat and pigs in blankets wreath had scored really well in the pre-christmas food tests and decided to make my own. I think it still cost about £5 the same as buying it ready made, but the satisfaction was there and actually I was really pleased with the result. I added fried onion and a grated apple to the sausage meat with sage and thyme and arranged the pigs in blankets sun ray fashion in a circle with a dollop of my home made cranberry sauce in the middle. Desert was an Italian style trifle, again a la Gordon Ramsey, using pannetone and mascarpone .
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Return to The Kitchen