Brains

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Brains

Postby Pepper Pig » December 27th, 2019, 8:40 am

This has popped up in today’s Guardian. I eat most offal but I can’t recall ever having brains.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/d ... offal-1934
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Brains

Postby patpoyntz » December 27th, 2019, 9:19 am

Sheep’s brains were often served as part of a meal in Lebanese restaurants when we lived in Abu Dhabi. They were served whole, and unadorned on a plate. They were probably stewed as they were quite grey. They tasted ok, like pate really. They weren’t my favourite part of the meal, but I always tried them.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 27th, 2019, 9:30 am

According to Ma I was weaned on brains ... and brains have always been a favourite dish ... poached as described and then served with beurre noisette (or Ma’s version of the same) and chopped fresh parsley ... not often available but when they are I’ll be at the front of the queue :hungry:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 27th, 2019, 10:15 am

When I was about 10 my dad was bamboozled by a partly loopy example of French menu handwriting into ordering me what he thought were beignets de crevette (shrimp fritters) but were in fact beignets de cervelles , brains. I wasn’t entirely convinced by the crevette reading but I gave them a go. I didn’t mind the taste but the texture :sprout:
I have tried them since and don’t really like them, maybe I should try again.
Last edited by StokeySue on December 27th, 2019, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 27th, 2019, 10:16 am

I used to love brains. We did them fricasseed at school. DD was weaned on them too sometimes - pushed through a sieve. I haven't had them since the mad cow thing - I didn't know you could still buy them. They are creamy and lovely to eat, with a mild flavour unlike some kinds of offal :chops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 27th, 2019, 10:48 am

I asked for "some of that" in a French restaurant, thinking it was cauliflower cheese. It was a dish of lambs brains in a blanquette. :shock: :shock: :shock:
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby KC2 » December 27th, 2019, 11:13 am

aero280 wrote:I asked for "some of that" in a French restaurant, thinking it was cauliflower cheese. It was a dish of lambs brains in a blanquette. :shock: :shock: :shock:
I hope you're not vegetarian aero280!

OH still talks about the brains he had at a restaurant in the old city of Lyons some 35 or so years ago, and he really likes liver ... but I have never been able to eat offal like kidneys and liver and tripe etc. I once bit into a kidney thinking it was a mushroom ... :sprout: :sprout: :sprout:
KC2
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 27th, 2019, 1:46 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I haven't had them since the mad cow thing - I didn't know you could still buy them.

That's what I thought. I've never eaten brains and I think I'd struggle a wee bit with the concept in all honesty. Which is daft because I'll eat sweetbreads and tripe. I think it's probably the CJD connotations especially as a close friend's sister died of vCJD.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » December 28th, 2019, 3:31 pm

They still feature at the St John restaurants. I haven't seen them in a butcher's shop for years but maybe Halal butchers do them. It used to be possible to buy frozen packs from New Zealand and I have had curried brains in a restaurant in Southgate, maybe 35-40 years ago.

I always think that the texture is similar to soft roes.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 28th, 2019, 10:37 pm

Badger's mate wrote:I always think that the texture is similar to soft roes.
'

You beat me to it Ted .... I love soft herring roe, but don't think I could bring myself to eat brains :rolleyes: :scared:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 28th, 2019, 11:43 pm

I’m not really keen on soft roes, though that’s the odour more than the texture, though that’s not great
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » December 29th, 2019, 10:51 am

but don't think I could bring myself to eat brains

I've had them a couple of times in recent years at B&W, they have the brain burger on the bar menu from time to time and they still occasionally offer crispy brains with green sauce or aioli, iirc. :hungry:
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 31st, 2019, 7:19 pm

I'm open to trying most offal and am keen to try tripe but brains is a step too far for me. I have a brain tumour and it seems a bit weird
Catherine
Registered

Postby Lokelani » January 2nd, 2020, 1:01 pm

I remember Mum cooking faggots sometimes when I was little & my older brothers loving them. I'm sure they said they had brains in, not necessarily true looking at recipes, but it was enough to put me off eating them!! All the more for them no doubt. :lol:
I'm not keen on the texture or flavour of liver or kidneys, unless it\s a lovely smooth pate or parfait. I'll eat sweetbreads if served in a restaurant, but haven't cooked with offal myself. I've always been tempted to make Ian's chicken liver pate from this forum, but haven't got round to it yet. One day.
Lokelani
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » January 2nd, 2020, 1:13 pm

The most widely available brand of ready-made faggots was/is from a company called Brain's. 'Brain's faggots' might have fuelled misconceptions about the ingredients.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Lokelani » January 2nd, 2020, 3:10 pm

Badger's mate wrote:The most widely available brand of ready-made faggots was/is from a company called Brain's. 'Brain's faggots' might have fuelled misconceptions about the ingredients.

Ah yes, that would have done it! I was very young. :lol: Mum was a really good cook, but I'm fairly sure they were one of the few things she didn't make herself.
Lokelani
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 2nd, 2020, 3:27 pm

You can still buy Brain's faggots at Iceland, frozen, though I'm not keen on the gravy now, I'm sure I used to like it
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 2nd, 2020, 3:30 pm

Our Waitrose sells them too!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 2nd, 2020, 7:20 pm

I too used to love Brain's Faggots .... and haven't seen them in years. In fact I am still certain that there is a pack lurking in the bottom of my chest freezer. :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 2nd, 2020, 7:50 pm

The first time I came across faggots was when we moved to Wiltshire and a west county chain called Devon Savouries sold them (with or without caul fat) along with pasties etc. They were hugely popular. I was given to believe they were a west country delicacy. Later on I made them from scratch. I have always found Brains faggots quite rich, MIL used to love them.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 3rd, 2020, 10:42 am

I love faggots. I've made my own a few times and must do so again. Just fab with mushy peas :chops: :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 3rd, 2020, 11:12 am

:hungry: :drool:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » January 3rd, 2020, 11:54 am

StokeySue wrote:You can still buy Brain's faggots at Iceland, frozen,

Iceland seems to move stuff around regularly and I always feel a bit silly asking where they are.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » January 3rd, 2020, 2:06 pm

Seatallan wrote:I love faggots. I've made my own a few times and must do so again. Just fab with mushy peas :chops: :D

I've always had them with pease pudding. Our butcher has recently started selling them. They were a (surprisingly) big hit with Mrs B. :D
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 3rd, 2020, 2:39 pm

Offal is fine - but mushy peas or pease pudding a step too far :sprout:!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » January 4th, 2020, 12:21 am

I love faggots, and mushy peas, and especially Pease pudding, I make my own.
I've never tried brains, but would give them a go on a restaurant menu, I don't think I could bring myself to cook them at home, though I have bought and cooked tripe.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » January 4th, 2020, 9:25 am

It's increasingly difficult to find split peas. At one time the readily available pulses were butter beans, dried peas (for soup), split peas and red lentils. Haricot beans were available baked in tins and red kidney beans in tins of ready made chilli con carne, but that was pretty much it. Fashions have clearly changed and split peas are off trend.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 4th, 2020, 10:46 am

That's interesting, I have been able to get all those things (dried) since the mid '70s but as you say, it was more limited in ordinary shops before that. Considering how similar they are, there is no logical reason why I loathe marrowfat peas, mushy peas etc and any sort of split pea in soup so I have not looked for split peas. Lentils and beans are fine. Possibly something to do with food served in early childhood, much of which I still dislike, even though I don't think it was badly cooked.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 4th, 2020, 11:13 am

I've recently being buying pulses from this company https://hodmedods.co.uk/ sharing a delivery with friends
I used to like the Mr Brains faggots but tried them a year or so ago and they were really greasy and salty. :sprout: It's not smething butchers seem to sell locally.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 4th, 2020, 1:27 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Return to The Kitchen