[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Microwave rice pouches

Microwave rice pouches

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Microwave rice pouches

Postby Pepper Pig » January 6th, 2020, 2:42 pm

Now that I am only cooking for two, after years of 6+, these have become my go to rice provider.

Shoot me now foodies. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Microwave rice pouches

Postby aero280 » January 6th, 2020, 3:16 pm

I'll pop over with a gun once I've finished the slice of quiche I bought at the butchers earlier. It's quite nice with the Mrs Bridges pickles... :D

I might finish off with a couple of Mr Kipling apple pies that were on offer this morning in Tesco...
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Herbidacious » January 6th, 2020, 3:17 pm

My husband uses them. I think they are ok aren't they? I am not a big rice fan so don't partake. Biggest down side is over use of plastic I imagine...
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 6th, 2020, 3:18 pm

“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 6th, 2020, 3:24 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 6th, 2020, 4:40 pm

I use a microwave steamer to cook rice, and often vegetables, it doesn't save a lot of time but seems to me to give the best results for a small amount of rice, i.e. 3 portions or fewer
The other thing it is brilliant for is frozen whole leaf spinach, put the little cushions on the rack, cook lightlyly or on defrost setting, press gently, perfect blanched spinach to use in pasta dishes, quiches etc,

This is mine, just put the rice on the rack, rinse* under the tap, pour over boiling water to just cover the grains, put on the lid . stand on a plate (in case it froths over) and give it 10 minutes, or 20 for brown rice
* you don't always need to rinse the rice, but you get the very occasional packet that froths up. Hence the plate

:oops: jut noticed currently unavailable, but there are plenty of similar ones around, I see I've had it 4 years, and it goes in the dishwasher
StokeySue
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » January 6th, 2020, 5:12 pm

I always keep a couple in my store cupboard for ‘emergency’ quick meals. I like the little containers slightly more than the pouches. I get plain basmati and pilau ones. They are good for a ‘bottom of the fridge’ fried rice.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 6th, 2020, 5:50 pm

I keep a few packs of VeeTee basmati rice in stock, because it's the only brand I can find that comes in single portions.

If I'm cooking a curry, and expect to freeze portions, then I'll cook rice from scratch and freeze a portion alongside each pot of curry, but I find it incredibly difficult to cook single portions of rice.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » January 6th, 2020, 6:57 pm

I think I mentioned that according to Big Brother - aka the Nectar card, I was declared the 3rd largest consumer of Tilda rice with pumpkin seeds and quinoa at my local Sainsburys store over the past year :lol:. I used to use it a lot for ultra quick meals at home and work and it made a nice snack with butter or light meal with an egg but don't think it can be a very popular item as I didn't eat that much! I don't have it so much now but keep a packet in the cupboard. I have gone through phases of cooking rice in bulk and freezing in portion sizes but it takes up too much space. I have never bought packet rice when it's not on offer.

Your gadget looks good Sue. I have been put off special microwave dishes by having a couple that claimed to cook eggs in various guises but did not do it well. It is good to know which are worthwhile.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » January 6th, 2020, 7:10 pm

I came across a new way of cooking rice a few years ago, can't remember where, but I have used it ever since and it never fails.
My standard rice measure is 1 Paris goblet is about right for the 2 of us, it halves and doubles successfully.

Place the rice in a sieve and pour a kettle of boiling water over.
Put the wet rice into a bowl and cover with old water, you will probably need to break the clumps up.
Leave it to soak. The shortest I have done is about 15 mins and the longest probably a couple of hours when I went to the pub.

When you're ready to eat drain the rice, put some salt and a drop of oil into a pan and add enough boiling water for your quantity of rice.
Once boiling again add the rice, bring to the boil and cook for 4 minutes.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 6th, 2020, 9:18 pm

I'm not a great rice lover unless in soup or other wet dishes. Now there is mainly just me for meals I use the packs fairly often. I use 1/3 then freeze (more than enough for me) the other two portions and reheat from frozen as required. I find them a good shortcut when I only want a small amount of rice so definitely no "shooting" from me :) . On the shooting front though I quite like the packs of "savoury" or "golden rice" for things like a quick kedgeree or "chinese style" mince & rice. I think in the scheme of things life is too short not to take some quick options where they work for you. :D ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » January 6th, 2020, 9:44 pm

I have to admit that no matter how I try I cannot cook rice the way it’s intended to be. I normally buy boil in the bag although I have tried microwaveable ones and they’re not too bad.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » January 6th, 2020, 10:07 pm

I'm the same NLB, no matter how many "Can't fail. Always works" methods I try my rice is awful! Hubby is very grateful for microwave rice (me too really ;) ) and we make good use of the different flavoured ones too.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » January 7th, 2020, 12:47 am

northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 7th, 2020, 5:50 am

We don’t have a microwave any more. When we had one it was hardly used so I’d rather have the space. I’ve never had a problem cooking rice ... even quite small amounts. Sorry :) :duck:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » January 7th, 2020, 8:57 am

I've never bought ready cooked rice. don't have a problem cooking rice, either.
only once had a batch of overcooked rice - it went in the freezer and i never found it again. it seemed to have morphed into perfectly cooked rice when i next needed some - i put it down to the drying effect of the freezer or the microwave (when we had one).
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 7th, 2020, 9:18 am

Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 7th, 2020, 10:54 am

I have had a microwave rice pot (probably similar to Sue's but larger) for years and it has always produced a good finished rice .. It has a removable inner pot that has holes in the bottom. Rice goes in that and water is added until it covers the rice plus about an inch.. the lid goes on and it is set to cook for 10 minutes (brown/wholegrain rice takes about 20 minutes), so really it takes about the same amount of time as on the stove top in a saucepan. But you can just switch on and leave it .... It gets clean better in the dishwasher though :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 7th, 2020, 11:30 am

Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 7th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Gruney, I soften/caramelise the onions, celery, carrots etc and then use a slotted spoon to put them in a dish, then I turn up the heat, sear the meat, deglaze the pan with wine or stock etc and return the veg to the pot. That works best for me. :tu:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 7th, 2020, 12:55 pm

Thanks Suffs - trust me to get it back to front :lol:
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 7th, 2020, 1:18 pm

I’m not saying that’s the right way ... it’s just how I do it :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 7th, 2020, 1:53 pm

If I can't be bothered to remove the onions it sometimes works OK if you just push them to the edge of the pan (especially with our current induction hob, which 'pulses' the heat at the centre of the pan).
Seatallan
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » January 7th, 2020, 2:43 pm

I´d never use a pouch of rice. Firstly, because it´s GOT to be more expensive than "ordinary" rice, and secondly, rice is so easy to cook!
I don´t use the absorption method; I cook my rice like pasta. In other words, a pot full of water, salt, bring to the boil, add rice, cook for 15 minutes, drain. Ready, Freddy.
While I´m prepping the other veg, etc. for my meal, the rice is cooking all on its own.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby scullion » January 7th, 2020, 9:48 pm

That’s roughly how I cook it, too. It helps to dilute the arsenic!
I don’t see the point in paying for expensive water in the pre- cooked stuff.
scullion
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » January 7th, 2020, 10:01 pm

northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 7th, 2020, 10:07 pm

I prefer the texture of rice cooked by the absorption method to that cooked in a large volume of water. Which is why cooking a small amount doesn’t work well, though it might with a different hob.
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 7th, 2020, 10:40 pm

Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » January 7th, 2020, 10:43 pm

I don't have a problem with cooking rice (but think the microwaveable packs are great for convenience or when you don't want to wait 15 mins or more, especially those containing mixed rice and seeds etc you might not have in stock).

I was brought up using an absorption method which was spot on on an electric hot plate. I have never found it so good on a gas hob and of course not for brown rice which takes longer to cook and has different absorbency qualities.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 7th, 2020, 10:56 pm

StokeySue
Registered

Postby Rainbow » January 7th, 2020, 11:36 pm

I have induction and don't have any problem with the absorption method. I use Delia's method in a fry-pan - a small one as I don't do large quantities and I do find induction better than the gas or other electric hobs I've used :)
Rainbow
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » January 8th, 2020, 3:55 am

karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 8th, 2020, 8:47 am

No-one has mentioned types of rice. In earlier times it was all Patna. Now we see Basmati everywhere. I find Basmati much more successful for the boil method that karadekoolaid describes.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » January 8th, 2020, 2:34 pm

Very true, Earthmaiden.
The above method works for most "long grain" rice varieties, especially the "parboiled" ones.
With Basmati, I often need less time, depending on the thickness of the grain.
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 8th, 2020, 8:19 pm

I have used that method in the past but much prefer to cook rice by the absorption method, to me both taste and texture are better

Take one cup of rice. Rinse in a sieve, if needed (most rice doesn’t need it). Add just a thought less than two cups of cold water and salt if required. Cover tightly and bring to the oil. Immediately turn down to the lowest possible heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stand for 5 minutes.

This works perfectly with a full cup of rice, but on my gas hob a smaller amount often turns to a crust stuck to the pan, even using a heavy pan with a good close fitting lid.
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 8th, 2020, 8:40 pm

Gruney
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 8th, 2020, 8:42 pm

KC2
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 9th, 2020, 7:12 am

The rice I use is "Tilda" basmati, which I buy in a 5kg bag from Morrisons. I simply put the rice into a pan, with a small pinch of salt, and add twice the volume of boiling water. Give it a thorough stir, put the gas on minimum, lid on then leave for 13 minutes. The rice is perfectly done at this point, albeit with a little stuck - not burnt - to the bottom of the pan.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 9th, 2020, 7:36 am

I use either Wrose own or Tilda basmati and follow the method described by Gruney, except I turn the heat off after ten minutes and leave the pan with the lid on for 3-5 mins.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 9th, 2020, 12:48 pm

My method is more or less identical to Gruney's. I just don't add salt. I use Sainsburys basmati.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » January 9th, 2020, 8:25 pm

I think I've used most of the methods outlined with possibly a few more thrown in for good measure! I can't remember a single good pot of rice from any of them. I'm not a bad cook (not fantastic either) but rice seems to be me nemesis.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby wargarden » January 10th, 2020, 10:59 am

maybe a rice cooker or ceramic pot like those used in many asian countries
is the way to go when cooking rice.
wargarden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 10th, 2020, 11:31 am

Rice cookers make great rice, but it comes back to making a small amount perfectly, my friend who regularly cooks for 4-8 people has one, but it doesn’t make less than 4 portions. I think you can get smaller ones, but then it’s another gadget to buy and store, probably not worth it for the number of times used in the average small UK household

Actually I though I’d look before I posted, and you can get a mini (2 portion) rice cooker with good reviews for £24.99, which you couldn’t lat time I looked. I’m tempted but probably would get one.
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 10th, 2020, 12:36 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 10th, 2020, 1:44 pm

That's the joy isn't it PP! No washing up, great if you only have a microwave and really quick when you're pushed for time. I've got no objection to Smash in the same circumstances either :twisted:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 10th, 2020, 3:40 pm

I haven’t used the rice pouches for a while, basically because with three of us it’s just as easy to make a pan full. However, I have used them in the past and DS used them all the time at university, ideal for a quick meal, especially the flavoured varieties. Likewise the Batchelors type flavoured packet rice which you cook on the hob.

Life can be difficult, I don’t think we should negatively comment on others choices as we don’t know what else is going on in their lives. I certainly use shortcuts and convenience food when needed - I found myself buying ready prepared roast potatoes last week! I’m really tired after the flu bug and just couldn’t face peeling spuds so in the trolley they went. Not a regular purchase but they did the job.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Oat » January 10th, 2020, 4:16 pm

I use the rice pouches in the caravan they are great when we go in after being out all day, they cook in the microwave while a pan of curry taken from home (thawed from frozen) heats through.A meal on the table in minutes :)
Oat
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » January 10th, 2020, 4:24 pm

patpoyntz
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » January 10th, 2020, 4:51 pm

I've decided to disown all of you that have no problem cooking rice using any method :-D :-D :-D :D !

I was very interested in the mini rice cooker Sue but thought twice as I'd never get it past hubby, too many years of "this has been declared foolproof" followed by yet another failure.

I agree with BB, it's very easy to be dismissive of those that have lives that make some cooking tasks difficult or of those that have something they just can't get right no matter what.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 10th, 2020, 5:42 pm

I agree with BB too. There is of course a good deal of snobbery about using ready prepared foods for a variety of reasons, often because something relatively simple can cost a bit more, but the price you put on convenience depends on your circumstances.

I think that perhaps the important thing is, if you are able, to have learned how to cook something (not just rice) from scratch at some point so that you can make an educated decision on whether or not it is worthwhile to you and also being aware of additives including salt, sugar and types of oil which might not be beneficial if eaten regularly (another brand might be better). I can remember feeding the family before having a fridge, freezer or microwave and the daily shopping and, unless tinned food was used, having to get home from anywhere in time to prepare a full meal. The introduction of convenience foods made such a difference, they did go through a grim patch but nowadays many are wonderful.
earthmaiden
Registered

Next

Return to The Kitchen