Worthwhile Microwave Utensils

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Worthwhile Microwave Utensils

Postby earthmaiden » January 7th, 2020, 11:21 pm

On the rice thread a cooking pot for the microwave was mentioned which is excellent for cooking rice and some vegetables well.

I think that pots etc recommended for microwave cooking can be very hit and miss. I have had two which were supposed to cook eggs well in various guises but didn't (and one was from Lakeland :evil: ). Sometimes an ice cream tub will be just as good.

Have you any which are worth every penny or others you wish you hadn't bothered with? I would happily invest in a few if they really made a difference.
earthmaiden
Registered

Re: Worthwhile Microwave Utensils

Postby StokeySue » January 7th, 2020, 11:40 pm

I am not convinced by most special microwave gadget as

I have the aforementioned steamer for rice and veg, love it and the lid fits my pasta bowls which is handy when reheating stuff ( not generally pasta)

I don’t think eggs work in the microwave, it cooks them to ice hockey pucks regardless of the container as it cooks from the inside. Anyway you can cook an egg on the hob in less than 4 minutes

The only other gizmo I bother with is a bacon rack. In my oven two slices of back or 3/4 of streaky cook to perfection in about 2.5 minutes, 3 if you like it very crisp. Cover the bacon loosely with a sheet of grease proof or parchment. If making a butty warm the complete sandwich for a few seconds to heat the bread.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 8th, 2020, 7:55 am

I had heard that bacon racks were good. Useful to know. At work we just had two microwaves so did experiment with things like eggs. One guy got a full cooked breakfast (egg, bacon, beans, tomato, mushroom etc) down to a tee - he poached eggs in water which worked well.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 8th, 2020, 9:38 am

Yes poaching in water does work, as the hot water cooks from the outside in but still easier on the hob in my experience
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 8th, 2020, 9:43 am

Is there potentially an issue with using any old plastic in the microwave? i.e. chemicals leaching out etc.?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 8th, 2020, 10:04 am

Herbidacious wrote:Is there potentially an issue with using any old plastic in the microwave? i.e. chemicals leaching out etc.?

In theory there could be, but I don think it’s worth Googling as the idiots have been out shouting that anything convenient is lethal

I am very cautious about putting plastics in the microwave, as there are problems I have seen for myself. Microwaves create hot spots so a plastic that’s ok at fairly high temperatures can develop a blister, and some plastic packaging can melt or even burn

I only use plastics intended for microwave use in the microwave, Tupperware type containers used for freezing I put in to defrost on the special setting, then transfer to the serving dish to heat up. If I get one of those plastic Christmas pudding basins though I keep it for reheating baked beans etc as they seem to last forever
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 8th, 2020, 10:40 am

StokeySue wrote:The only other gizmo I bother with is a bacon rack. In my oven two slices of back or 3/4 of streaky cook to perfection in about 2.5 minutes, 3 if you like it very crisp. Cover the bacon loosely with a sheet of grease proof or parchment. If making a butty warm the complete sandwich for a few seconds to heat the bread.

That's really good to know as we don't use the grill that's built into the oven - it's horribly smelly and smoky. What sort of bacon do you get usually? Do you get the good quality that doesn't have added water? And therefore doesn't 'stew' if you make it in a pan :lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 8th, 2020, 11:21 am

I try to buy the good quality bacon, but without testing properly I think one of the advantages of the microwave method is possibly that it copes with the wet stuff quite well, p
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 8th, 2020, 1:13 pm

Years ago I bought a couple of 'Irish Stew' bowls while in Dublin ... they are quite a bit larger than any other bowl I have and I found one worked extremely well for making porridge in the microwave .. 30 gms oats, covered with milk and/or water and set to high for 5 minutes. The bowl was big enough that the porridge didn't boil over and cooked perfectly for my taste. I also use a pyrex jug for scrambled eggs along with a silicone spatula for scraping/mixing the egg after each 30 second blast until cooked to my liking (quite wet ;) )
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 8th, 2020, 8:18 pm

StokeySue wrote:I try to buy the good quality bacon, but without testing properly I think one of the advantages of the microwave method is possibly that it copes with the wet stuff quite well, p

With that in mind, this looks like good value at the moment ... https://bit.ly/39QrmSq :D
KC2
Registered

Return to The Kitchen