[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - side dishes for meat dishes

side dishes for meat dishes

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

side dishes for meat dishes

Postby wargarden » January 10th, 2020, 8:55 pm

I am making a beef rib roast this weekend.
I am looking for side dishes to go with it.
I have starches covered with potato gratin,parker house rolls and yorkshire pudding.
I looking for lite tasting vegetable dishes.

ps please don't post strong tasting brassica dishes.
wargarden
Registered

Re: side dishes for meat dishes

Postby Pepper Pig » January 10th, 2020, 9:00 pm

Not biting.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 10th, 2020, 9:57 pm

At this time of year a favourite green vegetable side dish to go with a roast in this family is steamed purple sprouting broccoli dressed with a little melted butter, a squeeze of lemon juice and ground black pepper.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 10th, 2020, 10:18 pm

Another favourite would be steamed cauliflower with a bechamel sauce with a little grated nutmeg ... but you’re having potatoes au gratin. I presume this is with a creamy sauce? If you had roasted or hassleback potatoes instead of the gratin, the the cauliflower with white sauce would be fine.
Last edited by suffolk on January 11th, 2020, 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 10th, 2020, 10:20 pm

In the UK we tend to just serve assorted vegetables alongside that kind of meal. I was taught to provide a mix of colours so would go for root veg such as glazed carrots and/or roast pumpkin or squash. Many people like roast celeriac and parsnips but I don't. I would also provide something green. If you don't like cabbage, broccoli or Brussels sprouts then probably garden peas (frozen at this time of year) - green beans are not in season and not always nice frozen. You could also do braised red cabbage https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/col ... ith-apples (not sure if that's officially a brassica or not!)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 11th, 2020, 7:19 am

I usually keep the vegetable dishes simple with a roast, not necessarily adding any extra flavours. With beef, at this time of year, I'd probably cook carrots and a mix of leeks, cabbage and a little black kale just wilted quickly then braised in butter. Which doesn't help you at all.

This is a good side dish using root veg, as it doesn't have to have last minute preparation:
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/par ... eriac-bake
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » January 11th, 2020, 10:01 am

I thought I posted on this thread last night
I probably would serve a fairly robust brassica such as Brussels sprouts or cavolo nero but apart from that
Glazed carrots
Roast parsnips
Mashed swede (rutabaga)
Braised celery - the easy way of doing this someone on here told me, prepare the celery and put it in a foil parcel with seasoning, butter and a splash of liquid preferably beef stock but water will do, close tightly and put in the oven for about 45 minutes though obviously that’s quite variable
Leeks, any style
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 11th, 2020, 10:10 am

“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 11th, 2020, 11:08 am

Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 11th, 2020, 11:37 am

This is very interesting, I have never cooked or been served leeks of any sort with a roast dinner. I am fond of them and would be happy to eat them though :chops: !
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » January 11th, 2020, 11:42 am

i was thinking carrots and broccoli - with maybe mashed swede or mashed sweet potato.
i had to look up the rolls - would you eat those with the main meal or are they to go with a soup course?
scullion
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » January 11th, 2020, 2:20 pm

If you're having three types of carbs already with your main , with one cooked in cream as well, then I'd just add whichever veg you like, lightly steamed
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 12th, 2020, 6:44 pm

Please do let us know what you eventually provided, and how it went
Gruney
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 12th, 2020, 6:48 pm

And little details like how many you are cooking for.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » January 12th, 2020, 7:28 pm

I like cabbage stir fried in butter with a few caraway seeds, or a carrot and swede mash.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby wargarden » January 13th, 2020, 1:23 am

As I said; I needed to avoid cabbage related vegetables.
I went with something simple since I had 8 instead 6 as I
originally expected so with 3 hours notice i went with
green bean almondine. with frozen green beans.
For dessert i went with tomato soup cake, caramel glazed
white cake and fruit cocktail cake.
wargarden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 13th, 2020, 6:40 am

Sounds lovely. I hope everyone enjoyed it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 13th, 2020, 1:12 pm

Does indeed sound good... :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Return to The Kitchen