[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Knafeh

Knafeh

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Knafeh

Postby Pepper Pig » January 11th, 2020, 1:05 pm

https://lithub.com/on-knafeh-and-a-visi ... t-borders/

One of my best friends, a fellow swimmer, makes this. It is divine. She is Iraqi although has lived here for over 40 years.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Knafeh

Postby StokeySue » January 11th, 2020, 2:55 pm

Interestingly I saw katayef made in Damascus, and that version was not filo nor anything like it, but a form, as mentioned of crepe. The batter is put into a pot with a little hole in the base which is swung over a hot plate to form tiny trail of pancake which are immediately scraped up, and that’s the katayef

I’m not actually very keen on it, though adding cheese might improve it.
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 11th, 2020, 6:56 pm

Looks like Haringay is a good place to sample it (not surprisingly, perhaps) or the Edgware Road.

https://wrapyourlipsaroundthis.com/wher ... in-london/
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 11th, 2020, 7:30 pm

Not sure that link is working?

There’s a good Turkish pastry shop opposite St Paul’s Church West Hackney on Stoke Newington High Street that would be worth a try, but I bet they buy in the katayef from an industrial estate in Tottenham or Enfield. I tend not to buy Turkish pastries as they are too sweet for me.
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 11th, 2020, 7:43 pm

If you open the link and scroll down there is a section to open about places to find Knafeh in London. I am not familiar with it but the pictures there make me want to try it very much!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 11th, 2020, 8:32 pm

It’s too hard to read on a small screen for me
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 12th, 2020, 1:39 pm

I can buy frozen the local version. Katayifi frozen in most supermarkets here. I have never really taken to it, too much like Shredded Wheat for me.

moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Return to The Kitchen