[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - foods for the big game

foods for the big game

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

foods for the big game

Postby wargarden » January 11th, 2020, 11:41 pm

What foods and snacks do people in UK serve and eat before,during
and after watching the big game. Do the foods differ depending on the sport.
Are the foods different for soccer, rugby , cricket, tennis and etc.
Is it regional like it is in USA different cities or states have different
foods depending on the sport.
wargarden
Registered

Re: foods for the big game

Postby scullion » January 12th, 2020, 2:05 am

in this house there are no set foods for anything (even christmas dinner was indian where everyone did a couple of dishes) and we don't watch much sport.
i don't think brits go in for anything like that, or not as much as yanks, anyway - but then i wouldn't know.
the only obvious tradition is overpriced strawberries and cream at wimbledon.
scullion
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » January 12th, 2020, 4:49 am

As scully says we don’t tend to go for the ‘big game’ parties you have on that side of the pond. Most folks who watch football with their mates tend to go to the pub, I am one of those. I would never dream of having a house party with food and snacks the way Yanks do and to be honest I can’t think of anyone I know who would either. It’s the same with other sports.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 12th, 2020, 8:24 am

Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 12th, 2020, 8:43 am

In the UK some football (soccer) clubs have a traditional relationship with pies ... but these are eaten by spectators at the game, not whilst watching on tv. Folk watching lawn tennis at Wimbledon can buy strawberries and cream to eat between matches. Some folk attending horse racing in the summer months will take a picnic, and cricket matches always have a break in the afternoon for sandwiches, scones, cake and cups of tea etc for the players; spectators will take a picnic.

As has been said, it’s not usual for people here to host gatherings at their homes to watch sports on tv ... if a group of friends want to watch a match together they will go to a pub or club, and then possibly they’ll go for an Indian or Chinese meal or similar afterwards.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 12th, 2020, 9:15 am

I have a close relative who was involved with Dominos Pizza for many years. It is extremely common to send out for pizza during a game. It is also quite common for people to drink a lot of cans of beer.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 12th, 2020, 10:02 am

Yes you’re right of course EM ... pizza and beers for two or three friends watching a game on tv :D

We don’t seem to do what Americans think of as hosting a party. Perhaps it’s because distances between friends and family members may be greater so they’re more likely to make a day of it and arrange a larger gathering involving whole families rather than just those who want to follow the match.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 12th, 2020, 10:30 am

Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 12th, 2020, 10:48 am

Gruney, as a Tractor Girl, we’ve grown used to drowning our sorrows over the past few years :rolleyes:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 12th, 2020, 11:10 am

And you pinched our best player -top scorer in the league, last season. He's smacking them in for you now.
Gruney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 12th, 2020, 11:12 am

I thought the big game the OP was referring to was something like Grouse, Pheasant or Venison ... :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 12th, 2020, 11:24 am

Gruney ... things are improving very true, but I’m not holding my breath ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » January 12th, 2020, 11:57 am

scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 12th, 2020, 12:08 pm

I think if there’s a big match we are more inclined to watch it in the pub or a club if we are interested, I remember 4 of us (1 English, 1 French, 1 South African, 1 Australian) touring local pubs to watch the Rugby World Cup on big screens; I’m not sure we could have seen all the matches at home as we didn’t have either cable or satellite then; this was the 2003 World Cup held in Australia so due to the time difference the pubs used to lay on special brunches.

Apart from that the only big matches I’ve known friends cater for specially are the US Rose Bowls, for which people occasionally have what we call a barbecue pre-match (they are quite late here) or provide popcorn, hot dogs or other foods seen as appropriately American, not taken very seriously but done for fun
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 12th, 2020, 1:41 pm

When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Return to The Kitchen