[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Perfect mapo tofu

Perfect mapo tofu

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Perfect mapo tofu

Postby Pepper Pig » January 22nd, 2020, 12:23 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Perfect mapo tofu

Postby earthmaiden » January 22nd, 2020, 3:39 pm

Even though it's probably nice, I don't think I'd go to all this trouble to make a meat dish with tofu. Probably because this sort of cuisine has never been a huge part of my domestic life. The link to the veggie/vegan one looks interesting.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 22nd, 2020, 10:04 pm

I quite often make ma po tofu
It’s by no means a “meat dish” - just a couple of TBS of mince to add texture and flavour to the sauce. But as Felicity says, the meat can be replaced, I actually don’t really like the texture, and I never have 40 g of mince to hand so I substitute a couple of dried shiitake mushrooms soaked and quite finely chopped, as recommended by Fuchsia Dunlop in Sichuan Food

A whole tablespoon of Sichuan pepper seems like quite a lot to me.

Here’s Fuchsia’s meatless version, quite similar. But less Sichuan pepper!
StokeySue
Registered

Postby wargarden » January 23rd, 2020, 11:42 am

mapo tofu
you replace meat with soy bean and if cook and flavor beans correctly you make great meat substitute.
Like mao's mother did episode of 2 of Cooking Master Boy.
6 uniting factors
heat
aroma
color
heat
numbness
texture
wargarden
Registered

Postby wargarden » January 29th, 2020, 6:46 am

I just made this today it really has bite and burn if made right.
wargarden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 29th, 2020, 8:10 am

I’ve got the ingredients but didn’t fancy it last night. Will try flavouring the oil with the with the Sichuan pepper as Felicity does
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 1st, 2020, 1:59 pm

Made it last night, Fuchsia’s recipe but I flaavoured the oil with Sichuan pepper as Felicity suggests, which is worth doing. I used a 500g block of tofu, Felicity’s 250g would need a proper veg dish as well as rice to make a meal for 2 imho, which is worth pointing out as I usually find her portions huge. For me 200g per person would be a about right with rice and steamed greens, but if you make it really hot then I guess it would “send down” more rice and you’d need less tofu. I didn’t use all the optional chilli and should have used a bit more

9497CDE2-5B81-467B-B736-7B14842EBFFD.jpeg
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 2nd, 2020, 10:38 am

That looks fab Sue.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 2nd, 2020, 1:04 pm

I realised when I served up the second portion I had far more left than I thought so maybe 250 is only slightly shot rations
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Kitchen