Roast dinner - for a veggie.

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Roast dinner - for a veggie.

Postby Gruney » January 22nd, 2020, 7:53 pm

My daughter is a vegetarian. My only experience of cooking a roast dinner for her, is if she comes for Christmas dinner, when I do all the traditional roast potatoes and vegetables. I do a duck breast for me and a quorn steak for her - cherry and red wine sauce for both. There will soon be an occasion for me to have to repeat the exercise, but I'd like to substitute something veggie for both the duck and quorn, so both are the same. Any ideas please?
Gruney
Registered

Re: Roast dinner - for a veggie.

Postby liketocook » January 22nd, 2020, 8:14 pm

Toad in the hole made with veggie sausages (the Linda McCartney "Red Onion and Rosemary" are fab) is lovely served with roast veg, spuds etc. and gravy. "Bisto" powder is veggie-friendly for easy onion gravy. ;)
Large mushrooms stuffed with sage & onion or whatever takes your fancy can give a "meaty" feel to a roast dinner. Cauliflower "steaks" could be another option.
I make this https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/gol ... pherds-pie quite often if I have a mixed veggie/non-veggie group for dinner and it always goes down well.
For more traditional "roast" a bought nut or Quorn roast could be an option and could save a bit of prep to let you concentrate on the rest and your daughter.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 23rd, 2020, 8:42 am

Thanks Ltc - I'm attracted to your mushroom idea.
Gruney
Registered

Postby scullion » January 23rd, 2020, 8:52 am

How about picking up a vegetarian haggis? We had one at my brother's the other day with the usual trimmings and it was very good. It wasn't the mcsween's one but another that I think may have come from sainsbugs.
I think there are recipes out there if you wanted to make one from scratch.
I'm quite happy if cauliflower cheese is offered. It has the protein content needed to be the main feature of the meal - quite often that's missed out of a vegetarian substitute by meat eaters.
scullion
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 23rd, 2020, 9:02 am

Roast potatoes, gravy and the usual vegetable accompaniments would go really well with a pie, if you can tolerate the double carbs of pastry and potatoes.

Why not check out what supermarkets stock in the way of meat alternatives; they've come a long way since Quorn was the only option. You don't need to buy, but you might get some ideas - I often get meal ideas by looking at the ready meal section.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Gruney » January 23rd, 2020, 9:08 am

scullion wrote:How about picking up a vegetarian haggis?

Yes - that's the one! She loves vegetarian haggis - I'd forgotten that. Thanks Scully - and thanks to everyone else. Job done!
Gruney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 23rd, 2020, 10:34 am

I know you've decided now, but depending how much effort you want to go to, my former Christmas day stalwart was this:
https://theordinarycook.co.uk/2011/10/0 ... ellington/

With added porcini.

I think you want something with a bit of protein to balance the meal out?

It is a tricky one, and I think there is a tendancy to veer towards meat subs perhaps because of the protein factor. I do like a good nut roast, but a good nut roast is quite hard to come by, and not as easy to make as one might think. (Dry and crumbly ones are...)

I just saw a recipe for a mushroom and stout mini suet puddings (Mushroom are another theme. I guess they offer a bit of umame.) Which remind me, there is Mildred's recipe for individual savoury puddings that I've been meaning to try for ages.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 23rd, 2020, 11:36 am

Thanks Herbi. Not for this occasion, but I've added it to my "must do" for some time very soon.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 23rd, 2020, 12:57 pm

It's a bit involved. (The pastry is delicious though. And incredibly fattening, I suppose.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » January 23rd, 2020, 2:50 pm

As a vegetarian , I love most veggie sausages and bisto gravy is vegan and you can pimp it up a bit. I also love a nut roast or even a root veg stew with some wine or marmite in to add that bit of savouriness
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Catherine » January 26th, 2020, 2:05 am

Catherine
Registered

Return to The Kitchen