Homemade 'Reese's'

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Homemade 'Reese's'

Postby Herbidacious » February 9th, 2020, 1:37 pm

I am a bit bored (storm keeping me in) and I have been toying with the idea of making some Reese's style nut butter cups for some time, using some 'special edition' (i.e. flavoured) Pip and Nut butters I have in my cupboard. Most recipes use a lot of icing sugar. These flavoured butters are already sweetened somewhat (agave syrup) so it seems likely that just following, say, Nigella's recipe (I have done this with ordinary peanut butter. Very nice.) is going to render the result far too sweet.
The question is, is the icing sugar doing more than sweetening the 'cups'? Is it also acting as a binder/giving texture?

I could just get on and do it, but, although I want to use up the nut butter, as ever, I don't want to waste expensive nut butter and quite posh chocolate (by making something unpleasant.)

So, any thoughts?
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Re: Homemade 'Reese's'

Postby scullion » February 9th, 2020, 2:00 pm

i wouldn't imagine it's acting as a binder, maybe a thickener or something to decrease the oiliness of the peanut butter - maybe you could use something else that would have that effect but without the sweetness, coconut flour? ground almonds? a little cocoa powder - seeing that you're covering them in chocolate?
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 9th, 2020, 2:05 pm

I suppose I just need to experiment. Nigella uses 200g of icing sugar to 200g pf peanut butter though. (Plus 50g butter and 50g of dark brown sugar.)

Another one: 1 sleeve graham crackers crushed (10 sheets)
1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 cup peanut butter melted
3 cups milk chocolate chips

Funnily enough, I don't have any graham crackers, or for that matter any biscuits in the house. Oh I do have some shortbread...
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » February 9th, 2020, 2:17 pm

yes, i imagine the crackers are doing that job, too - maybe digestive biscuits, or something like that, crushed up would work as well.
- or shortbread.
scullion
Registered

Postby wargarden » February 9th, 2020, 2:58 pm

if you want peanut to stay solid chill it in mold before you pour chocolate on.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 9th, 2020, 5:05 pm

I'll have a go, wargarden, but all the recipes on line (mostly American) involve another ingredient, so was wondering if this is necessary for anything other than sweetening.

The nut butters I am thinking of using are this brand:

https://www.pipandnut.com/

They have a layer of oil on them. Not sure if that's relevant. I guess it means that if you mix it in, they are much oilier than, say, Sunpat. Ha! Just looking to see what American brands there are, I remembered I also have a jar of Reese's peanut butter chocolate spread in the fridge... I could make Reese's with Reese's.

But as I say, I think I may just have to have a go.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby wargarden » February 10th, 2020, 12:42 am

the oil is separated from nut butter. not added to it.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 10th, 2020, 10:23 am

Yes, I know :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 10th, 2020, 10:39 am

I haven't had a Reeces cup for about 15 years. My memory is of a chocolate cup holding peanut butter. This conversation suggests there was some kind of crumb element as well. Is that just to absorb excess oil & liquid? I don't remember a texture like that.

These are the ingredients on the pack (courtesy of Amazon) Ingredients
MILK Chocolate (Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Chocolate, Non-fat MILK, Milkfat, Lactose (from MILK), Emulsifiers (SOY Lecithin, E476)), PEANUTS, Sugar, Dextrose, Salt, Preservative (E319).

I suspect the emulsifiers are the secret! The peanut butter I buy from a wholefoods shop is very thick, especially if you discard the oil rather than stir it in.
earthmaiden
Registered

Return to The Kitchen