[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - classic foods that should make comeback

classic foods that should make comeback

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

classic foods that should make comeback

Postby wargarden » February 23rd, 2020, 3:49 pm

what classic foods,side dishes, sauces and desserts do you think should make comeback?
Last edited by wargarden on February 23rd, 2020, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wargarden
Registered

Re: classic foods that should make comeback

Postby earthmaiden » February 23rd, 2020, 4:10 pm

Do classic foods ever date?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 23rd, 2020, 4:29 pm

Not sure that we should be encouraging deserts to make a comeback
... the Sahara has never gone away and nowadays it’s spreading ... ;)
(sorry ... couldn’t resist that :lol: )

I think junket should make a comeback ... delicious. :chops:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » February 23rd, 2020, 6:05 pm

Gruney
Registered

Postby wargarden » February 23rd, 2020, 6:20 pm

suffolk had junket once at my aunts house,
she stopped serving it after the spider incident.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 23rd, 2020, 7:00 pm

Ha ha! :D
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Gruney » February 23rd, 2020, 7:19 pm

Gruney
Registered

Postby wargarden » February 23rd, 2020, 9:35 pm

starters
hot crab dip
calamari

soup
leek potato soup
lobster bisque

mains
chicken a la maryland
steak tartar
chicken pot pie
seafood newburg
chicken a la king
chicken Kiev

side dishes
green bean almondine
fruit compote

salads
Waldorf salad
Watergate salad

dessert
peppermint ice cream
butter brickle ice cream
tutti frutti ice cream
wargarden
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 23rd, 2020, 9:45 pm

Food, like everything else in our lives, evolves; one might suppose, gets better, more presentable, more nutritious.
Having said that, boeuf bourguinon, coq au vin, roast beef,fish & chips, yorkshire pudding, guacamole, chiles rellenos, ceviche, causa limeña, Osso buco, polpettone, risotto, spaghetti al sugo, haggis, cullen skink,paella valenciana, tortilla española,gazpacho, kebabs, falafel, kibbe, tzatsikis, taramasalata,murgh masala, chole,naan, navratan korma and even frikkadele, have been around for centuries and are still popular.
So what´s your point?
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 23rd, 2020, 9:46 pm

Some of those would be first time round for me!

(I really meant those on Wargarden's post - but some on KK's too!). It's strange how some quite nice dishes go in and out of vogue but I still think that classics stay - for the discerning at least! Not had junket in a while - can you still get rennet easily?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby wargarden » February 23rd, 2020, 10:45 pm

wargarden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 24th, 2020, 8:45 am

You can get anything on amazon ;) (Although increasingly, I am not trusting it. Lots of fakes, but probably ok for this.) There are other suppliers too. (I make cheese from time to time.) My go to is Moorlands cheesemakers ltd.

I've not heard of a few of the things on your list, Wargarden.

I struggle to answer your question as 'classic' (savoury) foods tend to be meaty and I have never had htem and of course now don't want to. I can't say I'd bring back anything from my childhood even if I did eat meat and fish. But then I was brought up on (often cheap) meat and two (overcooked) veg, and the occasional fish in parsley sauce. We ate out once a year (unless you count the occaisional sandwich in a cafe) and gourmet it was not. No junk food at least, I suppose... Unless you cound what was probably my 1970s childhood highlight: Tate and Lyle's Golden Syrup on white sliced (factory) bread with Krona faux butter ;) Yum :hungry:
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 24th, 2020, 9:25 am

Waitrose sells rennet so I expect other supermarkets do as well.

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/shop/sear ... erm=rennet

I don’t think many of your classics are what you would term “Classic” in the UK wargarden. Especially the ice creams. Classic desserts here include a fair amount of stodgy confections such as Spotted Dick.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 24th, 2020, 9:53 am

Surely there's a problem with the title of this thread ... if something is 'Classic' then it is 'beyond fashion' and will always be part of the general repertoire. If something has gone out of fashion, surely it cannot be, per se, 'Classic'. In cookery it often refers to a 'foundation dish' which can be adapted/tweaked according to fashion, but the Classic version is timeless.

It seems that the New York Times has a different idea of what are 'classic' recipes, in the USA at least
https://cooking.nytimes.com/68861692-ny ... nt-already

I can also confirm that leek and potato soup (or Vichysoisse), calamari (cooked in various ways), steak tartare, chicken (pot) pie, fruit compote and Waldorf salad have never needed to make a comeback in this household ... they're enjoyed pretty regularly. :chops:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » February 24th, 2020, 11:22 am

Gruney
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 24th, 2020, 11:31 am

Leek and potato soup - that was supper last Thursday!
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby scullion » February 24th, 2020, 11:54 am

leek and potato soup is a standby that has never gone out of fashion in this house, too.
i bought leeks the other day just for that (like i do weekly when they're in season).
i had to look up watergate salad as i'd never heard of it - maybe it should have stayed that way. not a salad but something that looks like a fast food chain pudding and definitely not a classic - in the same way that none of the ice creams are (well, maybe tutti frutti could be squeezed in - at a push).
i agree, classics remain. if it needs to make a comeback it isn't a classic or deserves not to be dragged up again.
is fruit compote a side dish? isn't it a breakfast choice?
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 24th, 2020, 12:24 pm

suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 24th, 2020, 12:24 pm

With a few exceptions (stewed liver :sprout: - I like mine just cooked) most of the "classics" I grew up with soups, stews, mince & tatties and stovies I continue to cook regularly though they'll have been tweaked over the years as more herbs etc. became widely available. Puddings and cakes less so as I don't have a sweet tooth so seldom bother. "Classics" to me are very regional and household specific description rather than a definitive list.
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 24th, 2020, 12:28 pm

earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 24th, 2020, 1:08 pm

Goodness, haven't seen tutti frutti ice-cream for years. And what ever happened to raspberry ripple? Don't seem to see that very often now.

Does anyone still make Brown Windsor soup? Or is it one of those things that never really existed?
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 24th, 2020, 1:16 pm

Brown Windsor soup was served in the Footman & Pretty's restaurant while the mannequins paraded and posed amongst the tables, in the Fifties and Sixties.

I last had Tutti Frutti ice cream on the sea front at Cromer a few years ago ... would someone like to commission me to research next time we go ...? : :drool: :chops:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 24th, 2020, 4:50 pm

Seatallan
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 24th, 2020, 9:40 pm

" Watergate Salad".
You can barely call this a classic - it was only invented in 1975 - by a multinational, mega-corporation. Much more "Classic" would be a "Winter Salad"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 4th, 2020, 5:55 pm

Chicken Pot Pie for supper here today

IMG_1585.JPG
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 4th, 2020, 6:43 pm

:hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :chops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 4th, 2020, 6:50 pm

Looks a bit good to me, Suffs :tu:
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 4th, 2020, 7:55 pm

Help yourselves ... ;) :cocktail: :cocktail:
suffolk
Registered

Return to The Kitchen