[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Creativity with Leftover Sandwiches

Creativity with Leftover Sandwiches

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Creativity with Leftover Sandwiches

Postby earthmaiden » February 25th, 2020, 9:35 am

Last night I attended a beige kind of buffet. There were leftovers which would probably have been thrown away, so I came home with a large tub of cheese and onion sandwiches cut in triangles. They are now in the freezer.

Apart from just eating them (I don't like sandwiches with raw onion very much), my first thought was a savoury bread and butter pudding.

Thought it might be fun to see what other inventive ideas people could come up with!
earthmaiden
Registered

Re: Creativity with Leftover Sandwiches

Postby karadekoolaid » February 25th, 2020, 10:17 am

Dip them in batter and deep-fry them.
Seriously - I once did that for my kids and they went crazy over them!!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 25th, 2020, 10:29 am

Toasties!!!

Or dip in beaten egg and panfry ... delicious lunch :chops:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 25th, 2020, 10:29 am

Toasties!!!

Or dip in beaten egg and panfry ... delicious lunch :chops:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 25th, 2020, 11:13 am

Definitely toasties! I'd probably extract as many of the raw onions as I could as I'm also not keen on them tbh, if that's feasible, and then would substitute some dried tomatoes and/or add some ham if I had it. Or even pesto, if you have some - that's great in sarnies.
Then they'd be perfect for our Lakeland Lekue grill. But just normal toasties would also be delicious. Interesting idea to dip in egg and panfry.
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 25th, 2020, 11:53 am

I loathe all forms of eggy bread/pain perdu, - it's the mouth feel.. but a sort of savoury bread and butter pudding works well

Not sure about the onion, but a slightly stale cheese sandwich whizzed in a food processor or mini chopper is a wonderful crispy cheese and crumb topping for any kind of gratin or bake
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 25th, 2020, 1:20 pm

Pick out the onions if you can be bothered and caramelise them. Return to the sarnies and make toasties. :chops: :chops:

Unlike Sue I love eggy bread! Haven't had it for yonks. :hungry:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 25th, 2020, 1:24 pm

...Actually, as well as blitzing up any left-over ones for Sue's crispy crumbly topping, you could blitz some up for a meat-ball variant. Either veggie-balls or add some minced pork, finely chopped tinned anchovies, herbs of your choice and seasoning. Make into balls, brown them in the oil from the anchovies plus a little olive oil and then oven-bake in some stock and serve with noodles. I do something similar quite often and very tasty it is too.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 25th, 2020, 1:52 pm

What interesting ideas! I'm beginning to wish I had more sandwiches! The onion is minced and mixed with the grated cheese. They are very oniony but I don't mind that in a hot dish.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 25th, 2020, 2:05 pm

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 25th, 2020, 2:07 pm

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » February 25th, 2020, 2:21 pm

just fried - they were called cheese dreams when i was a guide (ok, without the onion but that should be 'off-raw' by the time they were golden on both sides and melting).
glamorgan-ish sausages?
scullion
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » February 25th, 2020, 7:48 pm

Haven't had cheese dreams for ages.
Isn't HP sauce compulsory with them?
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 25th, 2020, 8:08 pm

Fried in batter is my choice! :) We did it years ago with a load of stale bridge rolls left over from a party. Really good and moist (again!)
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » February 26th, 2020, 3:38 pm

I thought I would make some batter for a couple of pancakes later (yes, I know it's Lent now :oops:) and try some out on a couple of the sandwiches for lunch (they are cut into quarters). I haven't the wherewithal for deep frying but they shallow fried well (setting off the fire alarm and stinking the house out :lol: ). It worked well. I'm not sure I'd make them again, they were very rich but nice.

I do like the meatball/crumb idea, the rest will probably be used for that. There is far more onion than I care for in a sandwich.
earthmaiden
Registered

Return to The Kitchen