[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Not just chlorinated chicken

Not just chlorinated chicken

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Not just chlorinated chicken

Postby Pepper Pig » March 2nd, 2020, 2:49 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Not just chlorinated chicken

Postby suffolk » March 2nd, 2020, 2:54 pm

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 2nd, 2020, 4:45 pm

Appalling. I'd also imagine such practices increase the risk of further Coronavirus-type events too.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 2nd, 2020, 5:00 pm

Horrendous.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 2nd, 2020, 5:14 pm

Along with several other matters currently being discussed on these boards I really am, for the first time in my life, getting really concerned for the future of our nation, quite aside from the planet. Each day brings more horror and stupidity.

I was just looking for a quote from '1984'. I couldn't find it but was horrified at how apt all the ones I could find had become.

Do I just feel old and give in - which is tempting - or go down fighting?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 2nd, 2020, 5:32 pm

You and me both EM. It’s a dilemma isn’t it?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 2nd, 2020, 5:35 pm

This has just appeared on my Twitter feed.

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/02/28/fowl ... ains-poor/
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 2nd, 2020, 6:00 pm

Farmers have been shouting about this for several years ... but who listens to farmers ... what do they know ?

As anyway ... it’s not important
https://farming.co.uk/news/leaked-email ... uks-future

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby KC2 » March 2nd, 2020, 6:11 pm

KC2
Registered

Postby wargarden » March 2nd, 2020, 7:13 pm

to bad the articles are badly sourced with incorrect information.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 2nd, 2020, 7:26 pm

Gruney
Registered

Postby scullion » March 2nd, 2020, 11:40 pm

scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 3rd, 2020, 1:00 am

This would affect other economies outside the EU too. A lot of chicken used in mass catering currently comes from Thailand. It is easy to imagine that an agreement with the US could have an impact there as well.

Of course we want cheap food if we've barely enough to live on but perhaps addressing some of our social issues would be more helpful than throwing badly raised chickens to the masses and declaring all is well.

As for farming being uneconomic, surely sustainability and food security should come into the equation somewhere? I thought we learned that during 1939-45. We haven't enough land to feed our vast population properly now but the time could come when we had to try (even Coronavius is starting to limit our normal interaction with the outside world ).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 3rd, 2020, 1:28 am

I don’t want to be rude - but that article is not news. It’s something that has been widely known for a long time

US food producers have 2 concerns
1 making a profit
2 providing food at an unfeasibly low price to support a political stance that’s really a modern version of giving the proletariat bread and circuses
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 3rd, 2020, 7:37 am

One of the problems is that the media (and also government ministers) keep referring to ‘chlorinated chicken’ as if being chlorinated is the problem ... it is not ... it is also misleading because dressed poultry in the USA is also treated with lactic acid and other washes, none of which are the problem per se.

The problem is that the poultry welfare regulations in the USA are so very much lower than in the UK and EU. These poor welfare standards result in the poultry in the US being kept in crowded and unhygienic conditions leading to them carrying harmful bacteria necessitating the chlorine washes or other treatment to help to prevent food poisoning in the consumer.

Whilst a difference in methodology means there is dispute about how to compare the actual levels of food poisoning, it is accepted by most reputable bodies that figures for food poisoning in the US are much higher than in the UK.

The concern being voiced by UK farmers is that whilst we were in the EU the welfare standards applied not only to them but to their competitor farmers within the EU and there was obviously a level playing field. However if the UK is forced to accept imports of US poultry produced to much lower welfare standards and consequently cheaper, the UK farmers will be unable to compete on price unless they also lower the welfare standards for chickens on British farms.

The term ‘chlorinated chicken’ is journalistic shorthand and misleading ... what is more the USA is now saying that they don’t use chlorine any more, they use lactic acid ... an attempt to pull the wool over unsuspecting eyes in the UK.

Instead of using the term ‘chlorinated chicken’ it would be more useful if this poultry was described correctly as ‘low welfare chicken’.
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 3rd, 2020, 7:46 am

Well said Suffs.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 3rd, 2020, 8:36 am

Then there is Trehalase

https://www.mdmag.com/medical-news/diet ... -virulence

there is a link to the original paper in Nature.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby dennispc » March 3rd, 2020, 9:29 am

Lots here, so I’ll be brief.

Sue, you’re never rude, accurate is a better word. Yes, it’s old news, oft quoted by me when vegan friends give me links to articles that are American based. ‘I don’t eat American food’.

We also have Trehalose

“In September 2001 Bioresco were granted authorisation to market Trehalose in the EU by Commission Decision 2001/721/EC." (Food Standards Agency)

The byline times article says, “Well into the 1980s, most British people ate crap”. I’m quite sure there’s more food crap sold on our high streets, supermarkets and takeaways now than ever was eaten in our house in the 1980’s. We ate what the UK produced and what we could afford.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, people did take notice of farmers (and fisherman).

https://www.nfuonline.com/nfu-online/ne ... -leave-ge/
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby dennispc » March 3rd, 2020, 9:36 am

And maybe wargarden has read this, (no idea if its accurate)

https://briefingsforbritain.co.uk/fact- ... -checkers/
dennispc
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 3rd, 2020, 9:41 am

George Eustace and Owen Paterson were government ministers and had no mandate to speak on behalf of farmers ... a very large number of whom to my certain knowledge voted Remain

https://www.nfuonline.com/news/brexit-n ... eferendum/
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 3rd, 2020, 10:03 am

I just hope the provenance of any meat or meat products is clearly labelled - I will boycott any American meat, and support British farmers.
Gruney
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 3rd, 2020, 10:03 am

miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 3rd, 2020, 10:04 am

suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 3rd, 2020, 10:09 am

miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 3rd, 2020, 10:16 am

suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 3rd, 2020, 10:26 am

The fishing issue has also been subject to disinformation and disingenuous reporting.

A friend of a friend who is one of the country's leading QCs was saying just the other day that the UK fishermen were sold out by their own industry ... he confirmed my memory of the trawler owners being given huge sums of public money in compensation following the Icelandic Cod Wars. He said that the intention had been for part of this compensation to be used by the trawler owners to compensate the actual fishermen, but because their legal employment status was different to most of us, (paid per trip) they were not legally entitled to redundancy etc. The QC in question fought long and hard on behalf of the fishermen to get some compensation but very little was granted. The trawler owners scrapped their vessels, sold their quotas to the French and Spanish and bought themselves villas in Spain and took early retirement. The UK fishermen were betrayed by their own folk, not scuppered by the EU.
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 3rd, 2020, 10:33 am

miss mouse
Registered

Postby dennispc » March 3rd, 2020, 10:49 am

dennispc
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 3rd, 2020, 10:56 am

suffolk
Registered

Postby dennispc » March 3rd, 2020, 11:06 am

dennispc
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 3rd, 2020, 11:08 am

StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 3rd, 2020, 11:49 am

Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 3rd, 2020, 2:27 pm

It is the ref to Nature, second para

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature25178
miss mouse
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 3rd, 2020, 2:39 pm

Thank you
Still can’t read the whole article, and critically can’t see the numbers
Interesting but it’s one study in an unknown number of mice.
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » March 4th, 2020, 12:25 am

scullion
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 4th, 2020, 12:43 am

miss mouse
Registered

Postby dennispc » March 4th, 2020, 4:06 pm

Article in today’s Times is on the side of farmers. Don’t subscribe, reading it a coffee shop so took a photo. Had to reduce, so you may have to expand it to read.

Farmers.jpg
dennispc
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 4th, 2020, 9:08 pm

Politicians have despised farmers and farming for at least 100 years, 'Industrialisation' was the aim, import food which I agree is very odd given that we are an island with a shaky economy.
miss mouse
Registered

Return to The Kitchen