[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Cullen Skink.

Cullen Skink.

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Cullen Skink.

Postby Gruney » March 3rd, 2020, 11:47 am

I saw a recipe for this in the Guardian, several weeks ago, and quite fancy making it - it's aSue Lawrence recipe, and I've got all the necessary to make it later today.
What I'm querying is the addition of the milk, which it says add at the end. I have a small cook book of Scottish recipes by Claire MacDonald, from Skye, which has been extremely successful for me - it states Cullen Skink should be served very hot.
The Sue Lawrence gives me the impression you add the milk cold. Can this be true - or am I just an idiot who should know the milk should be heated first?

500g undyed smoked haddock, skin on
A bay leaf
Knob of butter
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 leek, washed and cut into chunks
2 medium potatoes, unpeeled, cut into chunks
500ml whole milk
Chives, chopped, to serve

1. Put the fish into a pan large enough to hold it comfortably, and cover with about 300ml cold water. Add the bay leaf, and bring gently to the boil. By the time it comes to the boil, the fish should be just cooked – if it's not, then give it another minute or so. Remove from the pan, and set aside to cool. Take the pan off the heat.

Advertisement

2. Melt the butter in another pan on a medium-low heat, and add the onion and the leek. Cover and allow to sweat, without colouring, for about 10 minutes until softened. Season with black pepper.

3. Add the potato and stir to coat with butter. Pour in the haddock cooking liquor and bay leaf, and bring to a simmer. Cook until the potato is tender.

4. Meanwhile, remove the skin, and any bones from the haddock, and break into flakes.

5. Lift out a generous slotted spoonful of potatoes and leeks, and set aside. Discard the bay leaf. Add the milk, and half the haddock to the pan, and either mash roughly or blend until smoothish.

6. Season to taste, and serve with a generous spoonful of the potato, leek and haddock mixture in each bowl, and a sprinkling of chives.
Gruney
Registered

Re: Cullen Skink.

Postby StokeySue » March 3rd, 2020, 12:05 pm

When Felicity Cloake reviewed recipes for her “perfect” version she singled out Sue Lawrence’s method of adding the milk at the end for approval, so it seems it works well. Adding the milk early can lead to curdling, But I’d assume you heat gently, as you are adding in the cooled fish too

StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 3rd, 2020, 12:12 pm

Yes I'd follow the recipe ... I'd just ensure that the milk wasn't 'fridge cold' ... warm the finished dish gently if it seems too cool, but don't bring to the boil or it may curdle as Sue says. Enjoy ... Cullen Skink is one of my favourite supper dishes :drool:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 3rd, 2020, 12:13 pm

Thanks a lot Sue - that was the article I was refering to.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 3rd, 2020, 12:14 pm

Thanks Suffs - we cross - posted.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 3rd, 2020, 12:16 pm

:lol: :tu: :hungry:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 3rd, 2020, 12:17 pm

I'm with Sue Lawrence. I always add the (cold) milk at the end then heat it gently (don't boil) for a few minutes before serving. The most important thing though is to use undyed fish and generous knob of butter. I tend to not bother removing chunky bits but give pan a quick blitz with a hand blender so that it's a mix of smooth & bits. I :luv: cullen skink. :chops:
liketocook
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 3rd, 2020, 12:20 pm

All you have to do is ask! Thanks all - very much appreciated. :tu:
Gruney
Registered

Postby wargarden » March 3rd, 2020, 3:09 pm

liketocook wow I didn't think is was humane to use live fish in any dish.
If fish was "undyed" it must be alive.
wargarden
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 3rd, 2020, 3:18 pm

Sorry wargarden ... that joke doesn’t work

Dyed ... having been coloured with a dye

Died ... past tense of verb to die
suffolk
Registered

Postby wargarden » March 3rd, 2020, 3:24 pm

suffolk the pun worked.
wargarden
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 3rd, 2020, 3:34 pm

I’m afraid I disagree.

It would work better if spoken, but this is the written word and it doesn’t work IMHO :)
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 3rd, 2020, 4:08 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 3rd, 2020, 5:43 pm

Whether undyed or undead, if the end result is Cullen Skink count me in. One of my all-time fave things.... :chops: :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » March 4th, 2020, 3:59 pm

northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 6th, 2020, 8:36 am

I use a Gordon Ramsey recipe, the fish is poached in milk and the resulting stock used to continue cooking the rest of it with some extra stock, it works well with no curdling perhaps because the milk is well diluted. A quick a review of online recipes find manyy using the same method. Shallots are favoured over onions.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby scullion » March 6th, 2020, 11:11 am

scullion
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 6th, 2020, 7:48 pm

This is a punner...

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 19.44.17.png
aero280
Site Admin