[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - favourite biscuit recipes

favourite biscuit recipes

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

favourite biscuit recipes

Postby Herbidacious » March 17th, 2020, 11:21 am

By which I mean flat round things. (Although I suppose they can also be (many) other shapes. Ok not scone-like things.)
Do we have a biscuit thread? I sense we must have...
Anyway, either I normally eat more biscuits at work than I realise, or I am craving them in a comfort context. Either way, I think I am going to have to make some (can't keep going to the shops). Husband is comsuming them too, and he doesn't have the 'mustn't eat more than two a day' mentality. Perhaps biscuit consumption is best not encouraged, but... any favourite/recommended recipes? I've probably made them nor more than twice in the last 20 years :o
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Re: favourite biscuit recipes

Postby earthmaiden » March 17th, 2020, 11:36 am

Yes we've had a few discussions in the past but always good to see if there are new ones!

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1302&p=494150&hilit=biscuit+recipes#p494150

I haven't looked to see if it's there but IaninFrance's 'Noggins' are a firm favourite with me.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 17th, 2020, 11:43 am

This is Ian's 'Noggins' recipe .. they are better (IMO) not eaten too soon after baking - they store well in a tin.

Noggins

85 g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
85 g castor sugar
85 g rolled oats
85 g butter
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon golden syrup

Grease 2 baking trays, preheat the oven (non fan setting) to 150°C

Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda together and stir in the castor sugar and oats.

Heat the butter with the milk and syrup and when all his melted/dissolved but without boiling it, mix it thoroughly into the dry ingredients,

Roll into small balls (20 of them) and place about 10 cms apart on the baking trays. Flatten slightly, and bake in the oven for about 25 to 30 minutes until nively golden brown.

Remove from the oven, and cool on the trays for about 2-3 minutes before removing and finishing the cooling on wire racks as usual. When cold, these are beautifully crisp.

Servings: 20 biscuits
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 17th, 2020, 12:58 pm

Thank you! I think I have all those ingredients in, too.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Amber » March 17th, 2020, 10:44 pm

Def Sue-Ls cookies! and so many variations. Delicious.

(and of course, the chilli and anchovy biscuits :D )
Amber
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 17th, 2020, 11:50 pm

Can't see the recipe for Chilli & Anchovy ..... ?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 18th, 2020, 3:06 pm

EM. It's a staple on another food forum. I believe the original was from Rowley Leigh. Dead good.

Anchovy and chilli biscuits (makes 24)

The best of both worlds, being hot and salty - and rather addictive.
4 red chillis 125g (41/2oz) butter (chilled) 125g (41/2oz) flour 50g (13/4oz) anchovies 125g (41/2oz) gruyère cheese
Brush the chillis with a little oil then blister their skins over a naked flame. Seal the chillis in a plastic bag for 15 minutes, then peel off their skins, remove their seeds and chop the flesh finely.
Cut the butter into little cubes and blend with the flour to a breadcrumb texture using the pulse button of a food processor, or rubbing in with the fingertips.
Drain the anchovies, pat dry with kitchen paper and chop finely.
Mix the chillis, cheese and anchovies with the flour and butter and knead gently into a paste. Wrap in film and refrigerate for one hour.
Heat the oven to 220°C/425F°/ gas mark 7. On a floured board, roll the dough to a 3mm (1/6in) thickness then cut into 6x2cm (2x2/3in) strips. Cook on a baking tray for ten minutes, until golden brown. Cool on a rack and store in a tin, unless serving straight away.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 18th, 2020, 3:28 pm

Ooh thanks PP! I look into the forum you may mean from time to time but have never noticed the recipe.

I wonder if the supermarkets have anchovies in stock, I haven't got any .. 8-)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 18th, 2020, 3:35 pm

I can't be bothered fussing with individual biscuits very often, so usually make flapjacks if I want a quick (very) sweet hit - the recipe easily adapts to whatever dried fruit or nuts you may have in store.
https://mainlybaking.blogspot.com/searc ... and%20bars

These shortbread squares are quick and easy too, but not as sweet as flapjacks, and you can also vary the filling with this recipe too:
https://mainlybaking.blogspot.com/2019/ ... uares.html
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » March 18th, 2020, 8:21 pm

the lemon curd bakewell slices look nice. I have some out of date unopened lemon curd. Probably ok..

Might try and persuade OH to have a go at flapjacks - he is very fond of them.

I hope butter is not in short supply.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 18th, 2020, 9:15 pm

Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » March 19th, 2020, 6:54 pm

I did see that too. I am glad you didn't as I would have missed the lemon curd bars. Mind you, I am going to have to ration eggs, now.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Amber » March 19th, 2020, 11:36 pm

I don’t think it’s necessary to do all the blistering and peeling of the chillies. And I often use an extra chilli. But recently, I haven’t been able to get them crispy... :( . More practice needed. ;)
Amber
Registered

Return to The Kitchen