Rapeseed oil and Flaxseed oil

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Rapeseed oil and Flaxseed oil

Postby Baker-Phil » April 15th, 2010, 8:22 pm

Hia
Me again

I have bought rapeseed oil instead of flaxseed oil,I wanted to use it in some bread,
Is there a big difference in flavour?

Thanks very much

Phil
Baker-Phil
Registered

Re: Rapeseed oil and Flaxseed oil

Postby 4dogsagain » April 17th, 2010, 1:19 pm

Rapeseed oil, or canola as it is also known, is tasteless. I don't know about flaxseed oil, as I have not used it. I do use the flax seeds themselves in bread, usually mixed with sunflower, pumpkin and sesame seed, bought as a mix from my HFS. Sometimes I had added extra flax seed. I like the nuttiness of seeds in my bread, whick is very popular with my B&B guests.
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby suffolksamphire » April 17th, 2010, 2:46 pm

Cold-pressed rapeseed oil isn't tasteless, it's as different to canola as EVOO is to the light olive oil. :-D But I don't suppose that's what Baker-Phil bought? :)
suffolksamphire
Registered

Postby Baker-Phil » April 17th, 2010, 3:09 pm

Hia
It was the cold pressed rapeseed oil I bought,

Oh well ill try it out on monday

X
Baker-Phil
Registered

Postby suffolksamphire » April 17th, 2010, 3:47 pm

I usually use cold-pressed rapeseed oil for salad dressings and marinades. It does have quite a strong flavour - the producers recommend that it can be used for cooking with, but personally I prefer a lighter flavour for frying etc. You were going to use it in some bread? It might be really good - are you adding anything else, seeds etc?
Also what brand have you got? The Hillfarm CP rapeseed oil is from the next village to where I used to live :-D Farmer's son diversifying etc.
suffolksamphire
Registered

Postby scullion » April 17th, 2010, 4:01 pm

hi, from my experience linseed oil is a lot stronger flavour than rapeseed oil (which appears in a lot of ordinary vegetable oils anyway).
scullion
Registered

Postby chools » April 17th, 2010, 4:34 pm

Baker-Phil wrote:Hia

I have bought rapeseed oil instead of flaxseed oil,I wanted to use it in some bread,

Phil

Hi Phil,

It depends slightly as to which flour you're using but <IMO> the type of oil you use makes little difference to the end taste of bread

KrC
chools

Postby Sloe-Gin » April 17th, 2010, 4:38 pm

As your oil will only form a very small percentage of the total ingredients, I shouldn't think it would make any difference to the end product. Having said that, I've never used flax seed oil.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Return to The Kitchen