What has disappeared from your supermarket/grocers?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

What has disappeared from your supermarket/grocers?

Postby Sloe-Gin » April 19th, 2010, 12:52 pm

I went yesterday to Tescos to buy some ginger and chillies - I didn't want a lot, but there was no stock there. There were a few bananas - looking very green - and very few tomatoes. I'm sure other things were missing, but as I didn't go out to buy anything else, I didn't pay attention. It is really bringing it home how much is imported by air. Luckily much of what I make is locally sourced, but I do use a lot of chillies, ususally bought from a cash & carry place.
What have you not been able to buy recently?
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Re: What has disappeared from your supermarket/grocers?

Postby tezza » April 19th, 2010, 1:05 pm

I can't say I have noticed stuff missing from supermarket shelves round our neck of the woods, but I'm popping to Tesco after work so I will have a gander while I'm in there.

This lunchtime an Indian colleague took me to a local ethnic food store just up the road from work. It was bursting at the seams with crate upon crate of fresh ginger and chillies, so they must be getting them from somewhere. They all looked fresh and in good nick. Do you have any of those kind of stores near to you?
tezza
Registered

Postby chools » April 19th, 2010, 2:21 pm

My greengrocer reports that he is not out of stock of anything and that his wholesalers are OK as well. Grounded aircraft seem to be hitting just a few items at the moment with I assume many goods being shipped by sea as per usual? Could panic buying be emptying the shelves in some places?

I've also heard that we should be thinking of changing the air filters on our vehicles whilst the dust is around, apparently jet engines are not the only mechanical devices that don't work too well with the fine volcanic dust
chools

Postby 4dogsagain » April 19th, 2010, 5:58 pm

How lucky I am to be living in the Southern hemisphere, with our abundance of fresh fruit and veg, and no ash clouds!
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby virtualraspberry » April 19th, 2010, 6:34 pm

I have not had to do a proper shopping this weekend just bits and pieces partly due to being out for dinner on Saturday night. I did manage to get salad items in Aldi on Sunday but did notice a few empty shelves but that is not that unusual in my local one. M&S had very few side dishes for the meal deal on Sunday but they had removed the shelf stickers so I don't know what was missing.

Chools, interesting about the cars thankfully mine sat in the drive all weekend 8-)
virtualraspberry
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » April 19th, 2010, 10:29 pm

Visited Sainos today on another mission et, voila, ginger and plenty of fresh veg, so piccalilli in the morning!!
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Return to The Kitchen