Planning for the weekend... Making my own Frozen Burritos

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Planning for the weekend... Making my own Frozen Burritos

Postby Riocaz » April 22nd, 2010, 12:52 pm

Okay I should probably blog post these weekend plans rather than do them here, But hey :-)

I've recently been spending rather a lot of money on burritos from Tortilla, at least once or twice a week I've indulged and at a fiver a pop for something I am pretty sure would cost me a few pence to make, they are getting to be an expensive habit... However I have been assured by American friends that they are just as easy to make at home assembled cold and frozen and nuked to reheat.

So this weekend I will be making Mexican rice:

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/708/mexican-rice.aspx

a spicy braised pork recipe (which I will probably make up on the spot).

I have yet to decide whether I will attempt my own tortillas, or just use the pre-made ones for simplicity.

I am also debating whether to just use canned beans or to cook up some of my pintos. The spanish pintos would be nicer. Also whether to add the beans into the braise or not.
Last edited by Riocaz on April 23rd, 2010, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Board Admin and general dogsbody

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Can't login? Please try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13153
Riocaz
Site Admin

Re: Planning for the weekend... Frozen Burritos

Postby MariaKK » April 22nd, 2010, 1:57 pm

Hello Rio

Mexican rice - taught by Mexicans in my own kitchen. Make a sofrito first : chopped onion, 1 garlic clove - musn't dominate , bit of chopped red pepper (or chile if you want - depends what else you're serving) + optional 1/2 a celery stick. When all soft add the rice. Stir around & add liquid (passata + water or stock if going) . Cook by absorption method. I cup rice : 11/2 cups liquid.

Tortillas - defo make your own. Odette's posted a recipe for flour tortillas - will dig it out for you later, have to go out now. Back late. So far I've only made corn tortillas - need "masa harina" for this. I gather UK supermarkets now sell this.

ATB
Marja
MariaKK
Registered

Postby Luca » April 22nd, 2010, 3:55 pm

Hi Lee

As Marja had to pop out and I'm here.... here is Odette's recipe. The shop bought ones taste dire in comparison.

Odette tortillas
These are my flour tortillas. I make them without any fat or oil, contrary to the usual recipes, and use milk or skimmed milk powder instead and they work wonderfully.
If you have made chapatis, these will be easy

FLOUR TORTILLAS
For 8 large or 12 medium sized tortillas.

When you have made each tortilla, put into a tortilla warmer if available, or wrap in a tea towel or in foil. To reheat, place tortillas in a teatowel and steam until heated through

You will need a large board to roll out the tortillas on.

First,preheat the griddle or pan on a medium heat. I cook these on a dry flat griidle/pan, wiping off excess flour beween tortillas with a dry paper towel
Mix together in a bowl:

3 cups / 15 oz / 425 gr all purpose/plain flour
1/2 (one half) teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt (optional)

Mix and add to flour
1 1/4 / 300 ml cups water plus
1 1/2 tablespoons dried skim milk
OR
1 cup / 240 ml water
1/4 cup / 60 ml milk (any type)

Mix into a very stiff dough. Knead a few times until smooth.
Form into a disc and cut into equal pieces - eight for large tortillas. twelve for medium
Roll each piece of dough into a ball. Put the balls onto a plate and cover wilth a damp cloth
Flour the board. Have a flour dredger to hand
Take a piece of dough, form it into a well-formed ball. Place on the board, flour generously, and flatten into a disc either with the heel of your hand or with a rolling pin. Keep rolling the dough evenly into a thinner and thinner disc, dredging with flour as you go, to prevent it sticking

The skill in making tortillas is in the rolling. The dough is very stiff unyielding, so you really have to press hard, but evenly as you roll them out. Let the dough know who's in charge!
However, the reason you can roll them so thinly is precisely because of the dough's toughness.
The large tortillas will roll out to the right thinness to a 9 or 10 inch diameter tortilla and the medium tortillas to about 8 or 9 inches in diameter.

As you become familiar with making tortillas, you will know how much flour to use when rolling. The idea is to use enough to stop it sticking with not too much over - loose flour tends to burn on the griddle, but you can wipe off the excess between tortillas. Gently shake off excess flour before placing on the griddle.

To cook:

Tortillas cook fairly fast. I roll them near the stove top. You will also have to adjust the heat until you find the right level. Hot enough to make the dough blister, but not too hot so that they discolor or burn.

With both hands, place a tortilla on the griddle/pan, laying it out as evenly as possible.

Wait until it begins to blister, flip it over. Wait a few seconds, it will begin to puff up slightly. Let it puff a little more. Flip once more, cook briefly on the first side again. Place in tea towel. Wipe griddle with dry paper towel.

Repeat until dough balls are used up..These freeze very well. Wrap in foil, put in a freezer bag. Freeze flat.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby ianinfrance » April 22nd, 2010, 5:02 pm

If you'll allow me to add to this.
I've got a recipe for Mancha Manteles (tablecoth stainer) which I could post for you if you like. It starts with pork and adds a whole LOAD of other goodies. Genuine Mex food. I would definitely make my own frijoles refritos to go with it, rather than in it, because then you get the flavour/texture contrasts.

Oh sossages, here it is anyway.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Mancha Manteles

casseroles, main dish, mexican, poultry

3 kg poultry; in serving pieces, ** OR
2 kg boneless pork cubes
120 gms lard
2 ea ancho chiles; prepared and soaked
2 ea pasilla chiles; prepared and soaked
2 ea serrano chiles; prepared and soaked
300 ml boiling water; for soaking
120 gms almonds or peanuts or pumpkin seeds; see method
1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
2 ea chorizos (cooking); peeled - in pieces
1 large onion; sliced thin
1/2 lb tomatoes; concassee
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
2 cup turkey or chicken stock
1 tablespoon sugar
5 teaspoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
4 oz pineapple, chunked
2 ea firm cooking apples or pears; peeled & sliced
1 large unripe banana, peeled; peeled & sliced

NB** A small turkey or two chickens, jointed,

The nuts/seeds are used for thickening, and you can use either almonds, or peanuts or pumpkin seeds (which are most typical of Mexico). The chorizo is the uncooked Mexican type.

Prepare dried chillies as usual, heat dry on both sides in pan, turning and pressing down till soft. Open remove seeds and veins, tear up and soak in water for half an hour or so before puréeing. Blanch and peel nuts or pumpkin seeds. grind with sesame seeds and add to chile purée.

Brown meat in lard. Remove. Pour off fat, leaving 2 tablespoons in the pan. Fry chorizo meat in the fat that remains in the pan. Remove. In the same fat, cook onions until soft and remove as well. Now fry chile purée in pan until fragrant Add tomatoes, and cinnamon. Cook a few minutes and then turn out the whole mess into a large casserole. Mix in the stock, sugar, vinegar, and salt. Taste for seasoning. Add browned meat, chorizo pieces, onions, and fruit. Cover and simmer 45 min to 1 hr.

Yield: 8 servings

** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.86 **

--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby MariaKK » April 22nd, 2010, 8:49 pm

Luca,

Thanks for posting that.

Ian,

The Mancha Manteles sounds wonderful. Will have to give it a go - though cut down on the chillis! Incidentally, Loïc's off to Mexico tomorrow morning for a fortnight. I'm ironing the last of the shirts, packing etc etc. How are the supplies? If you want any more goodies let me know - I'll be ordering some more moles; once he's in the market no hassle to get a few more goodies. Prepared a mole colorado for some of the in-laws on Sunday- divine.

Lee

If you can't get any of the chillies Ian mentions easily in the Uk let me know and I can post some - or other Mexican bits & pieces. My neighbours' daughter lives /works in London and she'll be here for a weekend towards the end of May - so no customs! It's the least you deserve for setting up this wonderful site; such a relief after the agro of the other place! Merci. You have my e-mail.

ATB

Marja
MariaKK
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » April 22nd, 2010, 10:19 pm

Hi Marja,
MariaKK wrote:How are the supplies? If you want any more goodies let me know - I'll be ordering some more moles;
We're fine at the moment, thanks very much. With summer coming up now, I can't see myself doing many more for a while now. Can you imagine a typical Nantais being faced with a Mole colorado as an evening meal in the Corrèze? :lol: :lol:

I'm also OK for chiles as well at the moment thanks. We had an "Asian" winter, so didn't do as much Mexican food as we might otherwise have done.

However.... Can I say this to anyone reading here. Although many people think "a chile is a chile", and must have wondered what on earth I was on about when specifying three different chiles for that dish. That's far from the case, in Mexican (and elsewhere too for that matter) cooking, people recognise that chiles are not (just) about hotness but about flavour profile and, for example the flavours of a Serrano chile have almost nothing to do with those to be found in apasilla, while Ancho is completely different yet again. So if you wanted to make some proper mexican food, you would need to get hold of a small assortment of chiles. I don't know what others will say of my choice, but I can't imagine cooking mexican without Ancho, Pasilla or Mulato, Chilpotle, and possibly Arból. As for Fresh chiles, Jalapeno is a must and of you're going to cook Yucatecan food, Habaneros as well.
So if you are interested..... shout now, as they cost peanuts back in Mexico. (Marja, I hope you don't mind me saying this. I really do wish more people could discover one of the great cuisines of the world.
--
All the best
Ian
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Riocaz » April 23rd, 2010, 10:53 am

Well my American friends made a good point...

Why not just make a chilli and use that. Meat, onions, spice and beans in one. After all the desired outcome is a quick and easy snack and lunch item, not authentic mexican food.

That recipe sounds yum Ian... But possibly not for a work lunch... As you know I am a messy eater and "tablecloth stainer" would quickly become "shirt stainer" :-)
Last edited by Riocaz on April 23rd, 2010, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Board Admin and general dogsbody

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Can't login? Please try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13153
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby efcliz » April 23rd, 2010, 11:46 am

I also couldn't be without my dried chilli assortment. I did a big stock up last time I was in Denver but I use Mexgrocer to supplement if necessary. I recently dicovered aji amarillo and aji limo which were made into pastes for quite a few dishes I tested for "Viva Vegan". I love chipotles in adobo but its quite expensive, so I have a fiendish plot to make my own. I found a recipe but just need to try it. I might do it this weekend if the weather isn't as nice as forecast.
efcliz
Registered

Re: Planning for the weekend... Making my own Frozen Burrito

Postby ianinfrance » April 23rd, 2010, 5:31 pm

efcliz wrote:I love chipotles in adobo but its quite expensive, so I have a fiendish plot to make my own. I found a recipe but just need to try it. I might do it this weekend if the weather isn't as nice as forecast.
Do, it's not hard.

Here's a recipe I've used. It makes quite a lot, but I sterilize it as usual. I have not tried freezing it, but can see no reason not to.
@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Chilpotles En Adobo

misc, sauces

120 g chilpotle or mora chiles; (about 60)
3 ancho chiles; deseeded and deveined
4 cloves garlic; chopped
2 sprigs fresh marjoram; leaves only -=OR=-
1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
2 sprigs fresh thyme; leaves only -=OR=-
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1 pinch cumin seeds; crushed
1 leaf bay leaf; torn small
2 tablespoon olive oil
180 ml mild vinegar; (like cider)
180 ml strong vinegar; (like wine)
60 g barbados muscovado sugar
1 tablespoon sea salt

1. Rinse the chilpotles and drain. Pierce each one all the way through with a sharp fork or skewer. Place in a pressure cooker with water to cover and cook at low pressure for about 15 minutes; they should be soft but not mushy. (Alternatively, cook the chiles with water to cover in a tightly covered stainless steel saucepan over low heat for 30 to 40 minutes.)

2. Drain the chilpotles, remove the stems and wipe off any stray seeds clinging to the outside. Set aside.

3. Meanwhile, in another pan , cover the anchos with hot water and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and transfer to a blender. Add 1 cup of water plus the garlic, marjoram, thyme, cumin seeds, bay leaf and 4 of the cooked chilpotles and blend until almost smooth.

4. Heat the oil in a shallow stainless steel frying pan . Add the blended ingredients and fry over moderately high heat for about 3 min., scraping the bottom of the pan to prevent sticking. Add the vinegars, brown sugar, salt and 1/2 cup of water and cook for 5 minutes longer. Then add the remaining chilpotles and cook over moderate heat, scraping the bottom of the pan from time to time to prevent sticking, until the sauce has reduced and thickened, about 15 minutes.

(MAKE AHEAD: Chilpotles en Adobo can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 month. Before using, place in a medium saucepan, moisten with a little vinegar and bring to a boil. Let boil for a few minutes.)

Yield: 3 pots

** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.86 **
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby efcliz » April 23rd, 2010, 7:52 pm

Oh that looks good. The one I've got is more simple, like yours but without the herbs. I wonder; I don't taste any herbs in the tins I buy; I suppose it's just another layer.
efcliz
Registered

Postby MariaKK » April 23rd, 2010, 8:28 pm

ianinfrance wrote:With summer coming up now, I can't see myself doing many more for a while now. Can you imagine a typical Nantais being faced with a Mole colorado as an evening meal in the Corrèze?

Ian,

In one word : No. That said much depends on the mole. Don't know what yours were like ( I did ask her to get proper grown up versions for you!!) but when buying for me Patricia choses moles "que no pican" . The one we had Sunday had all the depth/complexity of flavours, but the merest insinuation of "heat" - just my level, though probably for most people here it would be more like the sub zero temperatures we had this winter!!!. But you can always add the heat with a separate salsa or whatever on the side - if you must.

I'm very much a toddler when it comes to Mexican cuisine, but totally agree that

ianinfrance wrote:in Mexican (and elsewhere too for that matter) cooking, people recognise that chiles are not (just) about hotness but about flavour profile and, for example the flavours of a Serrano chile have almost nothing to do with those to be found in apasilla, while Ancho is completely different yet again. So if you wanted to make some proper mexican food, you would need to get hold of a small assortment of chiles.

and for wimps like me it has been a huge discovery. That there are even true full-blooded Mexican's who can't take the heat, is also reassuring.

ianinfrance wrote:So if you are interested..... shout now, as they cost peanuts back in Mexico. (Marja, I hope you don't mind me saying this. I really do wish more people could discover one of the great cuisines of the world.

Of course I don't mind. Offer stands. If you need / want any genuine Mexican goodies, as Ian says "give a shout". Details probably best sorted off site . Riocaz obviously has my e-mail, as does Ian. As long as it's "postable" no problem.

ATB

Marja

P.S. Ian, thanks for explaining - on some other thread - how to do the quotes.
MariaKK
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » April 23rd, 2010, 8:49 pm

efcliz wrote:Oh that looks good. The one I've got is more simple, like yours but without the herbs. I wonder; I don't taste any herbs in the tins I buy; I suppose it's just another layer.
This recipe is, in my opinon a whole order better than the La Costena tins one can find. It is pretty hot, of course, but then that's the Chilpotle.

If/when you try it, do let me know how you get on with it. Obviously it goes without saying that such preparations are by no means hard and fast or invariable. You could leave out the chilpotle in the adobado sauce, for example, or cut back on the wine vinegar and increase the cider vinegar.

By the way, I meant to thank you for the Heads up about the Great Veg Challenge, but for some reason it never appeared. I probably forgot to press the "Submit" button.

Marja

Our mole pastes were perfect. I've still got some left in the freezer, but all the dishes we made with them were ace. I'm also glad you discovered (perhaps with a little encouragement from me) that not all chiles are equal, and some are really very gentle as far as hotness is concerned, while still having barrow loads of flavour.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Return to The Kitchen