Blender recommendations?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Blender recommendations?

Postby chools » April 22nd, 2010, 4:15 pm

My trusty Moulinex DAE2 blender has broken. I noticed two pieces of plastic in the nuts I was blending and found they had come from the blade unit - not repairable. A spare seems to be around the £20 mark, and the one company that listed it was out of stock :(

I seem to remember that new the unit was under £30 and much as I hate chucking anything out I think this is now for recycling. I could maybe buy the same model again and have a spare motor unit and jug, but to be honest I wasn't that happy with the design. The blade unit was difficult to remove from the jug and the top when closed properly leaked!

So... any recommendations folks?

KrC
chools

Re: Blender recommendations?

Postby Riocaz » April 23rd, 2010, 12:49 pm

I've never found a better blender than the one that comes with a kenwood chef.
Board Admin and general dogsbody

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Can't login? Please try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13153
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » April 23rd, 2010, 1:34 pm

Chools - Moulinex almost died out and were taken over by (I think) SEB so the spares situation is poor

If you use it for things like nuts would you be better off with a stick plus mini-chopper?

I keep eyeing up this one as I have the hand mixer & love it, but I think it is a bit big for my hands

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahl-Blender-Chopper-Attachment-ZX411/dp/B0000C6ZMX/ref=pd_sim_sbs_kh_1

This one has better reviews
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HR1363-Blender-Chopper-Accessory/dp/B000LYSSWW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1272029534&sr=1-4

I keep thinking about getting one as I do have an elderly Moulinex stick blender, which is going to head for the hills quite soon I think
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby efcliz » April 23rd, 2010, 2:23 pm

What do you mostly use it for? I've spent an awful lot of money on different solutions in the past, but it depends on use.
efcliz
Registered

Postby chools » April 23rd, 2010, 2:39 pm

efcliz wrote:What do you mostly use it for? I've spent an awful lot of money on different solutions in the past, but it depends on use.

Usually used for soups, but blending the likes of rice for dosas, chick peas for hummus, breadcrumbs etc

We do have a 'stick' but the larger blender is better for volume

I have contacted Moulinex but not holding my breath for a reply, or any hope of a spare

Seems as though you can spend what to me is a fortune on one as well, our Moulinex has a glass jug which I quite like as it hasn't crazed like the unit it replaced

KrC
chools

Postby Sloe-Gin » April 23rd, 2010, 2:40 pm

I agree with the Kenwood chef option. I use mine a lot and bought a stand-alone Kenwood blender, but I've gone back to the one that sits on the Kenwood.
Whatever you do, don't get a Marco Pierre White mini chopper - useless!
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby Riocaz » April 23rd, 2010, 3:14 pm

it's awesome innit Sloe-Gin?

I've had several blenders since I moved out of the family home. but buying my 2nd hand KC was my best investment because none were either as good or as easy to clean.

My Mum's one is as old as me and still going strong.
Last edited by Riocaz on April 23rd, 2010, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Sloe-Gin » April 23rd, 2010, 3:38 pm

I give mine some wellie, Lee! I actually have two blenders, so I make a batch of smoked paprika mustard and a batch of Cajun maustard, virtually at the same time! My stand alone one doesn't grind the mustard quite fine enough for my liking, nor does it give me the result I want with chilli jam, as it tends to tear the ginger and leave the fibrous threads. I have a heavy duty Cuisinart processor, which I also rate well.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby chools » April 23rd, 2010, 3:50 pm

Sloe-Gin wrote:I give mine some wellie, Lee! I actually have two blenders, so I make a batch of smoked paprika mustard and a batch of Cajun maustard, virtually at the same time! My stand alone one doesn't grind the mustard quite fine enough for my liking, nor does it give me the result I want with chilli jam, as it tends to tear the ginger and leave the fibrous threads. I have a heavy duty Cuisinart processor, which I also rate well.

Interesting information here... I would really like to be able to fine grind/blend the likes of dal (which is wet when I blend it having been soaked)

Kenwood Chef option looks as though it is around the £180 mark but I'm sure is a good investment by the sound of it, just not sure as to how much I would use the mixing bit of it :cry:

Moulinex have come back to me with details of a company who have the 'spare' part - £20

Food for thought and time to count the pennies

KrC
chools

Postby tezza » April 23rd, 2010, 3:53 pm

Sorry, not really able to offer any blender recommendations, but I have just got to ask chools, what is that picture in your avatar? It's been bugging me for ages. :D
tezza
Registered

Postby Riocaz » April 23rd, 2010, 3:57 pm

chools ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KENWOOD-CHEF-MIXE ... 335c494f52

I paid about £50 for mine, including several attachments (mincer, juicer chopper and of course blender)
Last edited by Riocaz on April 23rd, 2010, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Riocaz » April 23rd, 2010, 4:02 pm

I would like the 2nd that question of Tezzas.

And mention that if you have the choice, the glass liquidiser is better than the acrylic one.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby chools » April 23rd, 2010, 4:03 pm

tezza wrote:Sorry, not really able to offer any blender recommendations, but I have just got to ask chools, what is that picture in your avatar? It's been bugging me for ages. :D

Hi folks,

It's a photo of my head partially covered by my left hand - hope that helps, not one of my better photos though :lol:

Thanks for the eBay link, good idea

KrC
chools

Postby Riocaz » April 23rd, 2010, 4:15 pm

And don't forget all the other bits you can buy...

potato peelers, mincers/sausage makers, processors, juicers, coffee mills, cream makers, choppers, tinopeners etc etc.

The world (with a kenwood chef) is your lobster.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Return to The Kitchen