Salad days...

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Salad days...

Postby Sloe-Gin » April 23rd, 2010, 10:10 am

Yep, they're almost here! I 'fess I am very boring when it comes to salads and usually end up with a big Greek salad. However, I'd like to be more adventurous this year - luckily, hub loves his salads, too. I did used to make one out of Olive or Delicious, with rocket, peaches, stilton and a red wine vinaigrette and some other ingredients, which I've forgotten.

What salads are your favourites, please?
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Re: Salad days...

Postby karadekoolaid » April 23rd, 2010, 11:02 am

Our salads tend to come together from what ever is in the fridge.Lettuce, tomato, potato, goat cheese, beetroot chutney, rocket.. they always have some cheese in them, though.
If, and only if I were to make a "classic" salad, I'd say the Niçoise has to be my fave.
However, if you want an ununsual one, try a Caracas Circular Salad:
1 large potato
1 large carrot
1 beetroot
1 red onion
1 cucumber
1 tin palm hearts
2 large tomatoes
Avocado
Shredded lettuce.

Slice the potato and the carrot into rounds and cook in salted water until tender. Remove and drain. Cook the beetroot and slice into rounds. Slice all the other veg into rounds - except the avocado, which will be in half-rounds!Place the lettuce on the plate and arrange the beetroot in a circle. Next put the carrot in a (slightly smaller) circle, followed by the potato, the onion rings,the tomato, the cucumber and the palm hearts. Top with avocado rounds. Dress with a classic vinaigrette.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby tezza » April 23rd, 2010, 11:41 am

Ooh, I love the first salad post of the spring. :bounce: :luv: :bounce:

I am currently munching a delicious M&S salad, which I keep meaning to try and recreate at home. Bulgar wheat, grated carrot, chick peas & dried cranberries in a mint & coriander dressing. I always think that the addition of a chopped avocado is a treat and works well.

I really love the Jamie Oliver salad of new potatoes (Jersey Royals if you can get them), avocado, cress, S&P, olive oil & lemon juice, all tossed together. Gorgeous.

Other than these two firm favourites my salads are normally a mish mash of whatever I have in the fridge with some lightly cooked broccoli & green beans mixed in. :hungry:
tezza
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » April 23rd, 2010, 1:02 pm

A Caesar salad is probably my favourite classic salad. I like to supersize it with grilled chicken and bacon plus chunky croutons.

A nice healthy one is a selection of green veg - peas, broad beans, French beans in a mustardy dressing . I usually just mix freshly squeezed lemon juice , wholegrain mustard and olive oil to taste.

Good old potato salad and coleslaw are classics for a reason as well. Love salads and looking forward to some more yummy suggestions.
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » April 23rd, 2010, 1:11 pm

Just had a look at all my salad 'cuttings' from mags - another fave is panzanella. Good ideas so far.....
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Return to The Kitchen