Wild Garlic in Essex, UK

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Wild Garlic in Essex, UK

Postby littlealex » April 24th, 2010, 10:26 am

Hi there everyone - I am based in the Stansted/Bishop's Stortford area and have had big problems finding Wild Garlic around here (quite new to the area) - does anyone know where I can go in this area to find some - I only want a little as I am mindful of taking care of this natural resource!

Many thanks in advance...

A x
:)
littlealex

Re: Wild Garlic in Essex, UK

Postby MrsWWoof » April 24th, 2010, 10:45 am

Sorry don't know the area but if you head for woods you should be able to find some - you'll certainly smell it if it's nearby.

Good luck in your searches. We propagated some from my Mother-in-Law's garden in Devon and it's flourishing here in Sussex.
Hold on . . . until you find your smile again.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby littlealex » April 24th, 2010, 11:39 am

Thanks very much for your answer - that's the thing - I've been all along the River Stort and the Navigation in this area and just can't find any in the usual spots you'd find it - weird! So I was hoping someone could be fairly precise and point out where I can find it!?

Will take a look at the link you sent me - thanks again...

A x
littlealex

Postby littlealex » April 24th, 2010, 2:55 pm

I live near the Hertfordshire border too - anyone know anywhere in Herts I could find it?

A x
littlealex

Postby tezza » April 24th, 2010, 6:57 pm

Hi littlealex

I am sorry I cannot help with your garlic quandry, but just wanted to say that your post has brought back lovely memories to me. Some years ago I lived happily in Stansted Mountfitchet. What a lovely place. :luv: As I sat here remembering those good times my thoughts turned to all things foodie, as usual, and I remembered sitting out in my garden one summer evening slurping a delicious gazpacho followed by a pasta dish and then vanilla ice cream drowned in espresso coffee. :hungry: My next door neighbour, after living next door to him for a few years, telling me that whenever I cook a curry the stench of garlic travels up the walls and stinks his upstairs landing out!! :lol: Eating at The Ash, Burton End - have you been there? A cycle up the road, a couple of pints and a plate of food used to really set us up for the cycle home. The Half Moon, Thorley used to do a mean meal and a good pint on a Friday night. Me and my mate ate there the day before we ran the London Marathon in 1999. Jacket spud with beans, salad AND CHIPS! Chomped that down while we attached our microchips to our trainers. Insane! :lol: Growing my first batch of peas in my garden. Same neighbour popping round with produce from his allotment for us to dine on which I couldn't bear to eat as I knew that his allotment was also my two cat's toilet!!!! :terrified:

Anyway, enough of my ramblings and back to the garlic theme - I live on the Beds/Herts border, and if anyone knows where in Herts you can get hold of wild garlic I would be really interested.

:bounce:
tezza
Registered

Return to The Kitchen