Boshie Caterer, sack him or fry him?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Boshie Caterer, sack him or fry him?

Postby ianinfrance » April 24th, 2010, 2:53 pm

On the chatterbox thread, Mogatogs asked this
mogatogs wrote:Hi All,

Need some advice, some friends and I are hosting a quiz tonight the caterer was asked for a specific menu, he is now being a pain the backside and stating it will be served as a buffet, only doing one choice in fact changed everything! when he emailed me last night I couldn't reply without being incredibly rude and I just don't wnat to go now, so come on folks how to deal with this person!!

It's very late to be able to change anything. However, I was a freelance chef when I worked in London, and I would never have dreamed of messing a client about like that. Obviusly you can't sack him at this late date, but I think you have every right to expect to pay considerably less, especially if you have a written record of what happened. I'd be inclined to give him a cheque for 60% and tell him you'll be delighted to meet him in the small claims court if he hopes to get any more.

Voilà
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Re: Boshie Caterer, sack him or fry him?

Postby Tatihou » April 24th, 2010, 2:58 pm

mogatogs wrote:Need some advice, some friends and I are hosting a quiz tonight the caterer was asked for a specific menu, he is now being a pain the backside and stating it will be served as a buffet, only doing one choice in fact changed everything!

If you had a written contract with him to supply a specific menu (ie, what you wanted was in writing and he had agreed to it including agreeing a price) suggest to him that as he is not adhering to his side of the contract then obviously he will not expect to be paid the original price. Then negotiate a substantially reduced price. You may find he is suddenly capable of doing what you asked him to do. Of course, he may spit on every dish first. ;) Good luck with achieving the result you want.
Tatihou
Registered

Postby Fiona » April 24th, 2010, 3:01 pm

Completely agree with Ian and Tatihou. Go with it until the evening is over, (unless you want to be without food completely!) being careful never to say how delighted you are with what he has produced, then pay him according to what you got rather than what you agreed to pay.
What a cheek!
Fiona :)
Fiona
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » April 24th, 2010, 4:51 pm

Agree with all.

I would never alter at such a late time, more likley add to a menu what ever I had available.

Go ahead, then name & shame on here ;)

Good luck. :hug:
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby Luca » April 24th, 2010, 5:01 pm

I agree with views already posted. It is outrageous that the caterer thinks he can up and change the plan at the last minute. You should definitely reduce the recompense accordingly. Do you have written confirmation from him of his acceptance of your original menu?
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby frenchcheesequeen » April 24th, 2010, 7:04 pm

Most catering is paid for ahead of time and seldom has a contract in place for a casual agreement. I think it is all happening this evening so suspect that it is not going to be possible to do much at this stage. However, if you paid a deposit and the rest was payable on the night then simply don't pay. If he insists on payment then write acheque, do not give him your guarantee card and cancel the cheque tomorrow.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 24th, 2010, 8:39 pm

It's illegal to issue a cheque knowing that you are going to stop it! :shock:
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Riocaz » April 24th, 2010, 9:46 pm

Who has cheques now?!?
Board Admin and general dogsbody

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Can't login? Please try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13153
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Catherine » April 24th, 2010, 10:05 pm

I agree with Ian, and only pay 60%. BUT, I would make sure payment was made at the end of the event to ensure the food that is eventually served does not come with any hidden extras.
Catherine
Registered

Postby sunofessex » April 24th, 2010, 10:30 pm

ianinfrance wrote:On the chatterbox thread, Mogatogs asked this
mogatogs wrote:Hi All,

Need some advice, some friends and I are hosting a quiz tonight the caterer was asked for a specific menu, he is now being a pain the backside and stating it will be served as a buffet, only doing one choice in fact changed everything! when he emailed me last night I couldn't reply without being incredibly rude and I just don't wnat to go now, so come on folks how to deal with this person!!

It's very late to be able to change anything. However, I was a freelance chef when I worked in London, and I would never have dreamed of messing a client about like that. Obviusly you can't sack him at this late date, but I think you have every right to expect to pay considerably less, especially if you have a written record of what happened. I'd be inclined to give him a cheque for 60% and tell him you'll be delighted to meet him in the small claims court if he hopes to get any more.

Voilà

there is another solution.

place an order at the local chippie for delivery and cancel the caterer half an hour before he is due to turn up so you put the boot on the other foot!

whatever you decide please let us know how you get on.
sunofessex
Registered

Postby mogatogs » April 25th, 2010, 8:47 am

Morning,

Well, my lack of replying to him must have struck a chord, when I arrived I was still too upset to speak to him civilly, and chose to ignore him, luckily my fellow organisers agreed with me and we had a plan of action, we had copies of all correspondence and when he saw this suddenly we had a served meal small reduction in price (his choice) and a lovely Roast Beef meal and all the trimmings. His partner was most upset that the 'relationaship' had become 'sullied' and hoped the next event will be theirs as planned, I informed them it would be considered at the next meeting but we did have tenders from 2 other companies and guarantees would be required, the next event is for 150 people and worth a considerable amount of money to them, so fingers crossed he will get the message.

Thanks for your support

Mogs :)
mogatogs
Registered

Postby Luca » April 25th, 2010, 9:03 am

Good Morning Mogs,

I'm glad the roast was good and that the caterer seems to have got the hint and behaved a little more reasonably. With the risk of loss of the next big job he might get his act together rather better. Nothing like a little healthy competition to get the ball rolling in the right direction!
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Catherine » April 25th, 2010, 9:11 am

Hi Mogs, 'all's well that ends well' as they say. BUT, you don't owe this guy anything so if you don't feel happy with him them you should look elsewhere. After all, you are the one paying the money, and you deserve the service you are paying for. PLUS, it costs nothing to be civil, and you should expect that as part of the service. Hope the next event goes without any extra concerns for you.
Catherine
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » April 25th, 2010, 10:43 am

Hi Mogs,
mogatogs wrote:Well, my lack of replying to him must have struck a chord,
[snip]
Thanks for your support
Mogs :)

Well, that IS good news. I wonder what got into him, because honestly, if a caterer regularly messed people around like that, then they would soon be out of business.

I think you're right to have done what you did in terms of a shot across the bows, and in informing them that if there is a next time, you will insist on a written guarantee that the meal will be provided as agreed. That said, if you think the company/partners is/are genuinely contrite and if you were happy with the meal finally, and have been satisfied in the past, then I think you should consider this no more than an unfortunate blip. Anyone can have an off day and I personally believe that a relationship (of whatever nature - business in this case) deserves cultivating.

That's what I would do in your shoes, though I'd not think you were wrong if you felt the relationship of trust couldn't be re-established.
Last edited by Riocaz on April 25th, 2010, 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixing quotes, and adding the reason for editting which I forgot the first time.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Return to The Kitchen