Soup

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Re: Soup

Postby miss mouse » July 13th, 2017, 7:10 pm

I am in the, 'Tastes like slug eggs' faction. Hooray, more pearl barley for the rest of you.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 13th, 2017, 7:23 pm

Luca wrote:Each to their own! ;) I love it.

Weirdo :D
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 13th, 2017, 7:35 pm

suffolk wrote:

So do I :chops:

Me too!
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Luca » July 13th, 2017, 9:16 pm

Catherine wrote:

Weirdo :D
8-)
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 14th, 2017, 4:05 pm

Me too ! :chops:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 16th, 2017, 2:09 pm

I was wondering ifanyone had a t &t Slow Cooker recipe using dried Country Soup Mix, please.
Gruney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 16th, 2017, 10:18 pm

I would love to help with the dried country mix request but would probably be on the receiving end rather than the giving. I am always drawn to buying these mixed pulse bags and they invariably get shoved to the back of the cupboard.
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 17th, 2017, 5:05 pm

Gruney wrote:I was wondering ifanyone had a t &t Slow Cooker recipe using dried Country Soup Mix, please.

I would soak overnight, then the next day prep some fresh veg (onion, celery, carrot). Fry off some meat, add the veg, then the soup mix and heat through. Sling in the SC and cover with stock ... set for high for about an hour, then low for about 4 hours, or until the beans in the soup mix are cooked.

This is just what I would do - it's not a recipe as such ... ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 17th, 2017, 7:02 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
Gruney wrote:I was wondering ifanyone had a t &t Slow Cooker recipe using dried Country Soup Mix, please.

I would soak overnight, then the next day prep some fresh veg (onion, celery, carrot). Fry off some meat, add the veg, then the soup mix and heat through. Sling in the SC and cover with stock ... set for high for about an hour, then low for about 4 hours, or until the beans in the soup mix are cooked.

This is just what I would do - it's not a recipe as such ... ;)

I do much the same as Patsy though tend to use chicken stock and the meat picked from the carcass plus some leeks. It would also work with a ham hock though I'd slow cook the hock for a couple of hours on high before adding chopped veg and the broth mix.
liketocook
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 17th, 2017, 7:25 pm

There you go Gruney, you have my rough version and LTC's much nicer sounding version ;) :chops:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 17th, 2017, 8:11 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:There you go Gruney, you have my rough version and LTC's much nicer sounding version ;) :chops:

Don't know about that Patsy your's is a pretty tasty sounding soup - can't beat a bung it in and see what happens "recipe", 99% of my cooking is just that :lol: (always a beggar when you try to replicate or write down what've you've done much to my kids amusement/consternation ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 17th, 2017, 8:17 pm

Thanks a lot both - aye, chuck it in sounds the way to go.
Gruney
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 17th, 2017, 8:49 pm

Gruney wrote:Thanks a lot both - aye, chuck it in sounds the way to go.

It is indeed canny beat it :D ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Rainbow » July 17th, 2017, 11:08 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I would soak overnight,

I'd definitely soak the pulses overnight or else boil up for a few minutes and let stand for an hour or two. I usually do the latter, as I forget to soak the day before ;)
Drain and rinse and throw in the pot! I do that for lentils as well, they seem to take ages in the SC otherwise.
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 18th, 2017, 6:01 am

Thanks everyone - it was the ratio of liquid to veg/country mix, and the timing/ temperature I think I was probably most curious about. All sorted now - thanks.
Gruney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 18th, 2017, 8:08 am

Gruney wrote:it was the ratio of liquid to veg/country mix,

When you've worked that out Gruney can you let me know please ;) ... I normally just make sure everything is covered with liquid. Of course in a SC you don't usually need as much liquid, but you don't want it to boil/simmer dry ;) :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 18th, 2017, 8:23 am

Gruney wrote:Thanks everyone - it was the ratio of liquid to veg/country mix, and the timing/ temperature I think I was probably most curious about. All sorted now - thanks.

I just tend to add enough liquid after everything else is in to reach 2/3 of the way up my 3.5L slow cooker. I use around 1/3 of a pack of mix.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 19th, 2017, 7:03 am

Thanks liketocook - That's thing - we're trying to make soup, not a veg stew, aren't we.

I don't know if this is appropriate, but all night I've had a recurring dream about making soup with pack mix and hens' feet.
Gruney
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 19th, 2017, 8:23 am

Gruney wrote:Thanks liketocook - That's thing - we're trying to make soup, not a veg stew, aren't we.

sometimes there isn't a huge difference when I make it especially on the second day :lol:
liketocook
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 21st, 2017, 5:37 pm

I'm delighted to report that, today, and using all the advice I received here, I made 5l of vegetable soup/stew. Absolutely superb. Thanks for all the help and encouragement.
Gruney
Registered

Previous

Return to The Kitchen