Soup

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Soup

Postby spotteddick » November 11th, 2011, 7:57 am

Morning all!

I was reflecting on Carol's (FCQ) soup tube thread and thought that it would be a great to have a specific thread just for soups, I know that I enjoy making soups, they lend themselves to inventiveness, each one being different (well mine are, as I never stick to a recipe 100%). Though I love the winter warmers, the German Eintopf and the rib stickers, there is also a place for the light summery soups, the consommés and the chilled ones as well.

I have made a couple over the last couple of weeks that are among my favourites.

These are:

Dried Pea soup (could add a bit of ham and be Pea and Ham)
http://spotteddick-itsallinthegame.blog ... ntopf.html

and

Leek, potato and bacon soup
http://spotteddick-itsallinthegame.blog ... -soup.html

So what are your favourites with the recipes?

Cheers

Dick
Cheers

Dick

Just because you're wandering doesn't mean you're lost!!

http://spotteddick-itsallinthegame.blogspot.com/
spotteddick
Registered

Re: Soup

Postby frenchcheesequeen » November 11th, 2011, 9:27 am

Yesterday's chicken stock is presently murmuring with the addition of a couple of small onions, a handful of carrots and a butternut squash. There are a couple of tablespoons of orange lentils going in a bit later. Plain old vegetable but made with first class ingredients.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby spotteddick » November 11th, 2011, 10:04 am

Hi Carol!

I think that some of the good old soups of yesteryear are the best, my mother always just used what was in the garden, put it in the pan with a few bacon bones and a soup mix and that was it, filled our bellies and tasted great.

I shall see if my big Sis has any of her old recipes, she made a great turkey broth from the left over carcass at Christmas :hungry: :hungry: Nothing ever went to waste in our house.

Cheers

Dick
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby pernickerty » November 11th, 2011, 11:33 am

I must admit I love home made soups and regularly take a flask full to work.

Most recent was a Broccoli and stilton. Others I make regularly are Lentil and Tomato, leek and potato, split pea, mushroom and lentil and broccoli ad cauliflower.

All freeze well so I make large batches

Pete
pernickerty
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » November 11th, 2011, 11:59 am

Lentil and bacon
Carrot and stilton
Onion, leek and potato
Butternut and sweet potato
Barley and veg, made with lamb bone stock.
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby FoodMary » November 11th, 2011, 12:26 pm

Here is one I invented a couple of years ago.

Celeriac and ginger.

2 1/2+ pints good chicken stock
Head of celeriac, peeled and grated
large onion, peeled and chopped
2 medium potatoes peeled and grated
1 1/2 inches root ginger peeled and grated
Salt and pepper to taste
Cream to finish

Combine all the ingredients, except for the seasoning and cream in a large saucepan. Simmer until all ingredients are soft. Liquidise and add salt and pepper to taste and cream to finish. You can add extra stock if a thinner soup is preferred. Garnish with a pinch of chopped parsley.

It is good served chilled too.

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby Mamta » November 11th, 2011, 12:34 pm

My soups are never the same, they go by what is there in the fridge. Last week, I had a bowl full of Aloo Matar (Potatoes and Peas) in curry gravy left over. I just blended it, added a little yoghurt and chopped coriander. It was delicious!
I never remember to buy celeriac, must try it one of these days.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 11th, 2011, 1:17 pm

Mamta, I bought a celeriac yesterday in lidls - 55p, great roasted and for remelade (sp).

My soups are generally like yours, what is left over that needs using up, my blending stick is one of my fave tools.

I picked a load of shaggy ink caps yesterday and today they are going in a soup.

When we had goulash last week, I purposely made too much sauce - it is in a mug in the deep freeze for a cold day !

I did have garlic soup at the Red Lion once, totally wonderful. If I had to choose I would probably go for Gazpacho.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Suelle » November 11th, 2011, 1:30 pm

My soups are never the same twice either, as I tend to use what is available, or what needs using up.

There is one recipe I follow though, and that is this Hugh F-W recipe using the carcass of a roast chicken; the pale meat and vegetables are set off by the addition of a little dark green kale:

Chicken, Kale and Spelt Soup;
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... en-recipes
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby ianinfrance » November 11th, 2011, 6:21 pm

We love soup in this household and always serve them for our first course for guests. Tonight, after my experiments with freezing the fried onion, we're having French onion soup. Yum. As it happens I've got some Tokaji Szamarodni Édes open, so I'll be serving it to go with the soup, as it's one of the rare soup/wine combinations that works.

We also love L&P (Leek and Potato, which we know by its French name "Potage Parmentier"). Loads of others too, many of which are up on my web site. As our guests are arriving in 10 mins, I will have to come back to this thread after supper.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby bubblingcara » November 11th, 2011, 8:36 pm

I make soups too.
From the french creamed ones, to asian flavoured, and a few italian tomato based.
But most of all, it's recipes from our side of the mediterranean,
swiss chard lemon and lentils,
lentils and pasta,
red lentil and cumin,
vegetable soup with a twist of red pepperpaste,
greek avgolemono type soup,
and the armenian specialties of yogurt-barley, yogurt- kibbeh, yogurt-meat filled ravioli style soup.
bubblingcara
Registered

Postby Annie » November 11th, 2011, 9:48 pm

I'm in the Mamta camp here make loads of soups in winter but it depends a lot on what is in the fridge and veg rack.

I make two main soups the first is a chicken which is made with home made chicken stock and what ever veg I have, always onions and carrots but after that it is pot luck. The other is made with a flap of lamb barley, split peas, red lentils, carrots, onion, potatoes and then one or more other veg. Once made the lamb soup always has to be cooked for the first time last least with dumplings. I do like to drop a dumpling in a hearty soup far better than a chunk of bread or croutons - both of which have their place but not in my chunky soups.

I do make particular recipes too but more often than not it is a 'no two are the same' type.

I have in a dish the trimmings from a couple of leeks and onions (including brown skins) the ends and peeling s from a couple of carrots and parsnips all ready to pop into a pot with water to make a veg stock. Now whether this make it then into soup or into the gravy of game pie I will not know until tomorrow. Once the veg peelings are cooked and no longer needed the onion bits go in the bin but nearly everything else goes to the chickens. But certainly a case of waste not want not.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby anneskitchen » November 11th, 2011, 10:20 pm

One of the simple ones I love is Keith Floyds white onion soup, is far more delicious than you think it might be! http://anneskitchen1.blogspot.com/2009/ ... floyd.html

Quite often like other posters here I just throw together what I have in but made two new ones lately which I rather liked - Honey roast pumpkin, pancetta and coriander soup http://anneskitchen1.blogspot.com/2011/ ... a-and.html and one which isn't live on the blog yet but is Spiced Cauliflower with chickpea raita topping. Was surprisingly good! :chops:
Hello edible world!

http://www.anneskitchen1.blogspot.com

Every day is a gift..that's why they call it the present
anneskitchen
Registered

Postby Annie » November 11th, 2011, 10:24 pm

The best tomato soup I've ever made was by roasting onion, tomatoes and some garlic in lots of nice olive oil and sea salt and them blitzing it all together.

Any veg roasted makes fantastic soup and something I make with left over roast veg (yes I'm afraid to say we do get left over roasted veg :oops: ).
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Hope » November 12th, 2011, 1:44 pm

I think the only times I've ever followed soup recipes, they haven't turned out well! I normally just make mine up. At the moment I have a lovely leek and potato and also spicy pumpkin and red lentil soups in the freezer. I always make them in big batches and freeze in ice cube trays to have for my lunch. But I purposefully only put half the amount of liquid in so they take up less room and then add more water when I defrost them. Mr Hope doesn't like soup, so I only ever eat them for lunch during the week.

Next I plan to make roast tomato, onion, garlic, possibly red pepper and basil (to use up my plant which isn't very happy!) But as usual I have no room in the freezer!

I also like mixed root veg, bean or lentil soup, possibly spicy too.
Hope
Registered

Postby Annie » November 12th, 2011, 6:45 pm

Hope wrote:[...] I purposefully only put half the amount of liquid in so they take up less room and then add more water when I defrost them. [...]
what a great idea :D
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 13th, 2011, 9:52 am

Just reading this thread about soup, I was going to make Cauliflower and Cheddar Cheese Soup, I think that I might try roasting the cauliflower first.

Later: It turned into Spicy Cauliflower Soup, I added a teaspoon each of ground cumin and coriander to the frying onions. Then added a sppon of yoghurt at the end of cooking.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » November 14th, 2011, 7:22 am

There is a Cuisinart Soup Maker being advertised on the tellingvision at the moment that sautes, cooks and blends all without the usual faff associated with soupmaking and it looks very tempting. I might have a look at one next time I am in Lakeland to check on simplicity of washing up. At £139.99 not cheap and I need a lot of justification to permit the space in my tiny kitchen. But I do like the look of it.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby Annie » November 14th, 2011, 8:01 am

The Cuisinart Soup Maker I've seen looks like a glorified liquidizer that cooks at the same time. I think it looks like just another gimmicky gadget in the kitchen and would end up in the cupboard not used much. Maybe I'm missing something about it.

With your eye for frugality I would've thought you wouldn't have contemplated it. Personally I'm sure I would rather put that amount of money into something else. But then I like most of my soups chunky.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » November 14th, 2011, 10:29 am

My frugality is only exceeded by my laziness! One saucepan plus lid, one liquidizer, sometimes a sieve and a wooden spoon is four items to wash up. With the liquidizer having a lid that makes six! It might be halved!!
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby Annie » November 14th, 2011, 2:15 pm

Surely it is just as easy to was six as it it three if you are running a sink full of water :?: But do you have room for it in your much reduced space since your retirement.

I got a load of carrots in to cook plenty for lunch yesterday and to make soup with. I thought I'd have a go at carrot and ginger as I've also got plenty of ginger in to have a go at some home made [alcoholic] ginger beer.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby spotteddick » November 14th, 2011, 3:30 pm

I am making a clear game soup (I will have to see what broken game I have nearer the day)for our cookery club Christmas dinner, I shall be clearing it using the freeze and drip method (Heston), I shall also be doing hand made liver spätzle. I have made a game consomme many times in the past, I have also made spätzle many times in the past, but all together :o nope so this is a first for me!
I shall have a try at making the liver spätzel this coming week end as I am having hare so they will go down well.

Cheers

Dick
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » November 14th, 2011, 3:43 pm

Never had liver spaetzle. Is that liver mixed in with the dough or a liver sauce? I am accustomed to eating spaetzle in the autumn with fungi.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby ShotleyGirl » November 14th, 2011, 4:50 pm

I got into soup making a couple of years ago and mainly stuck to a recipe that my step-daughter gave me - carrot and basil, which I made time and time again :chops: and it freezes very well too. I've now felt confident enough to try various soup recipes from Aunty Beeb's site, the most recent ones being leek and potato, and mushroom - both were excellent and has put me in mind to try and make various other varieties
Laughter is brightest where food is best - Irish Proverb
ShotleyGirl
Registered

Postby Annie » November 14th, 2011, 4:51 pm

Although I love game I have never made a game soup of any kind clear or otherwise.

Never had spaetzle either. :( I remember stalls that were all the rage one year in France, they were at all the fates and town fairs we went to. Dough that was pushed through a slotted spoon, 1 lady was using something that looked like a large ricer (probably was). Straight into water or deep fat fryer (differed from stall to stall) and served some savory with various sauces and some sweet, dredged with sugar or syrups.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby sueturnersmith » November 14th, 2011, 6:20 pm

Carol, I couldn't justify spending £139.99 on a soup maker, especially as the quantity it makes is limited, and it looks awkward to wash up.

Why not invest some of the money on a decent stick blender - a Bamix for example - that will easily liquidise large or small quantities in the saucepan, and only needs rinsing under the tap to clean it? It will also take up much less room in your kitchen, and do lots of other jobs such as making brilliant mayonnaise in 10 seconds.
I'm as old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth!
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Postby Annie » November 14th, 2011, 6:33 pm

and you can pick them up for a 10th of the price ;)
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Riocaz » November 14th, 2011, 7:51 pm

Not a bamix...
Board Admin and general dogsbody

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Can't login? Please try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13153
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Annie » November 14th, 2011, 8:07 pm

Just made a batch of soup this evening. Having loads of carrots in I thought I'd make a carrot and ginger batch but that will wait for now instead I put a load of veg trimmings in the pressure cooker and got some veg stock. So put some pearl barley and split peas in it with some bacon bits, a leek, carrot a bit of swede and a sweet potato all diced small. Some of the sweet potato I made sure was smaller than the rest so it should thicken the soup along with the split peas.

edited because it just didn't seem to make sense :?
Last edited by Annie on November 15th, 2011, 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » November 14th, 2011, 10:34 pm

I have the wonderful Kenwood Multi Pro Excel which does do everything - except cook!

My reckless urge to squander money has passed and there is about 700g of carrots awaiting my attention tomorrow. Involving garlic, chili and ginger in one pot, some parsnips and cumin in another and plain old lentils in the third. That should see my soup phase safely dealt with.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby Annie » November 15th, 2011, 7:51 am

:D

carrots awaiting ginger and garlic here too never thought of popping some chili but then i haven't got any handy so won't this time will however put in mind for another batch.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » November 15th, 2011, 11:40 am

The first batch of soup is made:
1 tbsp sunflower oil
2 large onions
500g carrots
2 red chilis
Thumb ginger
Small sweet potato
4 fat garlic cloves
1 litre chicken stock
1 litre water
1 potato
salt and pepper

Put the oil in a stock pot and peel and chop the next six items. Leave the seeds in the chilis. Sweat for about ten to fifteen minutes and then add the chicken stock. Cook for twenty minutes and then blitz in the liquidizer. At this stage I realised that the ginger and chili were blowing my head off so added a larged chopped and diced potato and a litre of water to absorb some of the fire. Cook for another fifteen minutes until the potato breaks down and just give a casual mash. Season to taste.

Fourteen portions for £1.80. The chicken stock was hanging around from a poached chicken anyway and the vegetables were all mis-shapes but full of flavour.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby Annie » November 15th, 2011, 12:48 pm

So what time should I expect to arrive for lunch :D
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » November 15th, 2011, 3:38 pm

Too late Annie - it is mostly frozen in one litre cartons with enough left over for a soup and sandwich supper. We went to our local Thai restaurant for lunch followed by a U3A lecture about the John Lewis Partnership which was most interesting.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » December 1st, 2011, 2:12 pm

Two tired leeks, three even tireder sticks of celery and two medium potatoes. Chopped and sweated in a tablespoon of butter before adding a teaspoon of Marigold and a pint of water. Simmered and blitzed then thinned with a little milk.

Served with a blob of creme fraiche and a little crumbled roquefort. A delicious lunch today and there is enough left for another day.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby spotteddick » December 1st, 2011, 3:02 pm

I made the base for my game consomme last week, from the carcasse of a pheasant, the rib cage of a hare and 2kg of back bones from a roe. Boiled them up with a few bits of leek, carrot, celeriac an onion cut in half and browned dry on a skillet, a few cloves of garlic still in their skins, variours herbs and spices turned down to a rolling boil and skimmed. The 4 litres are now in the freezer, ready for refinement
It wasgood enough to eat then but tomorrow I am going to reduce it down further and slosh in a bit of port. Scharb (slice) some liver spätzle into it, fill into high bowls (the ones with a lions head handles), cover with a puff pastry (bought) lid, egg wash into the oven, I am really looking forward to it! :chops: :chops: :chops:

Cheers

Dick
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » December 1st, 2011, 3:19 pm

That sounds fabulous. My mouth is watering!
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby spotteddick » December 4th, 2011, 4:04 pm

Well the soup turned out better than I dared to hope.

Here is my blog entry!

http://spotteddick-itsallinthegame.blog ... atzle.html

Also out cookery club Christmas dinner is also up on my blog

Cheers

Dick
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » December 6th, 2011, 10:30 am

Half a large onion sweated in a knob of butter with four chopped parsnips and a teaspoon of ground cumin. A good pint of jellified chicken stock (with all the lovely fat from the top) has been added and is now simmering away. I will blitz it for lunch. I have retained one parsnip to shave into long shards with the swivel peeler and will deep fry them for a garnish, with the last of the Rodda's creme fraiche and a good grind of black pepper.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby Annie » December 6th, 2011, 10:41 am

Made one yesterday with a good jellified chicken stock too. sweated of half and onion and the ends of three leeks with two slices of smoked bacon diced. Added the stock along with a handful of pearl Barley and simmered till the barley was cooked then added the chicken I'd saved from the carcase purely for the texture (the flavour was already in the stock). Left it without blitzing. Just what the doctor ordered on a cold day :chops: .
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Mamta » December 6th, 2011, 7:04 pm

I made broccoli soup today, with onions, adding skimmed milk powder in place of cream at the end, delicious, especially after I added a little bit of Encona chilli sauce! Mine are mostly vegetarian these days, otherwise I have to make 2, one for me and one for my OH! Like many here, I hardly ever go by recipes, but have to say that Ian's French onion soup is well appreciated by friends here :-) :tu: :tu: !
Last edited by Mamta on December 8th, 2011, 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 7th, 2011, 12:01 pm

I roasted a couple of beetroots in the oven yesterday and have just peeled them, I also have a pint or so of veg stock from the slow cooker yesterday and my task today is to make Borcht for when my Dad is here over crimbo, I will garnish it with sour cream, chives and serve with some sort of bready thing.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Mamta » December 8th, 2011, 6:07 am

How was the Borcht Zosh? I must put down beets on my shopping list, keep forgetting to get them and I love them an all forms :tu: .
Mamta
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 8th, 2011, 7:42 am

Morning Mamta, Borcht was divine ! Even tho I say it myself. Most of it is now frozen for 22nd Dec, when I collect Dad from Gatters. It will make a quick main course soup, I think I may either put some cubed tatos or make some dumplings to put in it.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Mamta » December 8th, 2011, 8:38 am

Dumplings sound nice, you are making me hungry!
Mamta
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 8th, 2011, 8:55 am

Me too!
I think today is likely to be Dumpling Day! at least in this household (see what are you eating today? thread :D )
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 8th, 2011, 9:26 am

My soups also tend to be made up as I go along though you can't beat some of the classics being made properly at home. As FCQ says, the secret of soup is good base ingredients (even if it is only vegetable stock made from all the peelings!).

I made a fabulous soup by accident recently and hope I can recreate it if I try again. It started off as butternut squash and sweet potato with a base of onion, garlic and carrot then a little chicken stock to simmer the veg. I ended up adding grated ginger, honey and light coconut milk with a little lemon juice for acidity. Delicious!

In the USA a couple of years ago I had a sweet potato soup to which ground hazelnuts had been added for flavour. I think it had been strained afterwards as the texture was perfectly smooth - that too was delicious.

As for the Cuisinart Soup Maker, I had never heard of one until my hairdresser spent some time singing the praises of hers. She had longed for one and apparently it ticked all the boxes making wonderful soup without being too time-consuming when she was busy. It sounded a bit of a gimmick to me but they had one very satisfied customer there!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Annie » December 8th, 2011, 10:45 am

Accidental soups are often great :D

I sometimes think I should write things down when I throw them together as they then become 'never to be repeated' soups which is often a shame.

Love dumplings in soups takes me back to childhood every time without fail. Much rather have a dmpling than a chunk of bread :D , had some in my soup yesterday. :chops:
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Mamta » December 8th, 2011, 2:03 pm

Cuisinart Soup Maker

A bit expensive at £119.00 at Amazon, reduced from £139.00! It doesn't take too long to make most soups on a stove.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 8th, 2011, 3:23 pm

My best 'gimmick' ever was my Remoska.
Zosherooney
Registered

Next

Return to The Kitchen