Soup

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Re: Soup

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 6th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Just recently I mentioned here on another thread that my spice shop was selling trays of tinned plum tomatoes which worked out at 8p a tin, so I stocked up, and subsequently my now favourite soup was born.

Tomato and chick pea soup with courgette dumplings

This is obviously a simple soup but thought I would share as it sort of came about when I accepted unwanted pitta bread, carrots, celery and courgettes from my neighbour and I want to remember it!

I usually batch freeze diced onion, carrots and celery anyway, so I sauteed some in olive oil with a teaspoon of minced garlic and another of dried thyme. I added a veggie stock cube, two tins of plum tomatoes and topped it up with boiling water. Then in went a couple of broken up pitta and it simmered for 20 minutes. I whizzed the soup then added a drained tin of chick peas and six small dumplings (I made mine with a packet mix) to which I had added a small diced courgette. 20 minutes later when the dumplings were huge it was ready. I added extra hot chilli sauce to mine. I think while I am happily drowning in tinned tomatoes, this will be on my menu at least weekly. :hungry:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 6th, 2018, 4:41 pm

Gosh, that crab soup sounds superb, likewise the chicken soup. Simple but so very good.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 6th, 2018, 6:16 pm

I've had a hankering for pea and mint soup for a while. I might just follow that recipe with yoghurt. Thanks PP.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 7th, 2018, 8:11 am

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Amber » March 7th, 2018, 8:54 pm

Veg and lentil soup from the Student Cookbook 2007 is very tasty, and very easy, and very cheap. Happy to post recipe.
Amber
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 8th, 2018, 1:14 am

I do like the look of Yotam's burnt aubergine soup. I'd only need the brinjal - three hefty sized ones in my spice shop currently on sale three for £1. I've been eyeing them up for the last couple of days wondering what I could do with them, so that link was good timing! I'd leave out the starchy accompaniment for dieting purposes, but I would probably dollop some natural yoghurt on top to serve. :chops:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 8th, 2018, 11:40 am

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 8th, 2018, 3:08 pm

PP - that first asparagus soup on link 4 came just at the right time as it's my mum's favourite and I promised to make her some if she provides the asparagus! And I will be noting down the coconut - coriander chutney recipe too! :chops:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 12th, 2018, 10:51 pm

My soup de jour has been spiced cream of cauliflower with chick peas. Onions, turmeric, cumin, chilli flakes, garlic then cauliflower florets and cubes of potato, stock then simmer, puree and swirl through natural yoghurt and stir in a tin of chick peas. Some fresh coriander would have been nice. I ate it with a naan.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 2nd, 2018, 10:45 am

We have loads of lettuce in the garden ... today's lunch will be a Lettuce, mint and pea soup ... based on this one

https://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/vie ... -mint-soup

but as we have large Little Gems to use up and only half the quantity of peas in the freezer I'm making half the quantity ... we also have a drizzle of single cream left in the fridge so I'll add that and make it just slightly naughtier ... it's taken ten minutes to get to simmering point on the hob, and that includes picking the lettuce and mint, and it's smelling fantastic ... :hungry:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » June 3rd, 2018, 11:19 am

I love lettuce, mint and pea soup! :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 3rd, 2018, 11:26 am

It was bdooly fantastic .... OH kept on saying that as he ate it ... we ate all of it for lunch then he moaned because there wasn't any left for today ...... :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby nursemimi » June 13th, 2018, 12:28 am

Made the lettuce pea and mint soup. Yummy :hungry: :hungry:

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 17th, 2018, 3:30 pm

Spookey ! Mr. Z brought home two bags of fresh peas in pods on Friday, yesterday I podded them and stuck the pods in my SC overnight with some water and mint. Nice and soft today so whizzed them and sieved them, resulting in a lush very pea flavoured stock. Used some of it in the P risotto for lunch with the plaice and there is enough stock and peas to make a pea (and maybe bacon) soup for tomorrows lunch. No lettuce in this household so just P soup tomorrow...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 17th, 2018, 6:45 pm

I must make pea and mint soup soon using my mint plant before it takes over the kitchen!

My soup today was red onion, garlic, Scotch bonnets, Madras curry paste, tinned tomato, red lentils and fresh coriander, zapped with the stick blender. Very nice it was too.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby KC2 » June 18th, 2018, 2:51 pm

Sounds tasty Tezza!
We had sweet potato and carrot with ginger and coconut, whizzed to smooth and velvety in the jug blender.
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 20th, 2018, 11:36 am

I can't remember if I posted this before, but I made a Giada de Laurentiis Green pea, fennel and lettuce soup
Excellent hot or cold
But the Food Network recipe I was using has vanished, and I've just discovered it elsewhere, so here it is (possibly again, but at least available)

https://houseandhome.com/recipe/green-pea-lettuce-fennel-soup-recipe/
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 21st, 2018, 10:50 am

Oooh, I have a fennel bulb that needs to be used up … This looks delicious :chops: :chef: :hungry:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 21st, 2018, 5:14 pm

And I can now confirm the soup was absolutely delicious …… shame I've got no-one to share it with (or perhaps not ! ;) ) :chops: :chef:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 22nd, 2018, 9:42 am

I am entertaining on Sunday and am planning a tomato consomme with tapenade toast garnish. It will have to be made tomorrow because it is best sieved and, as it uses 1.5kg tomatoes this takes some time.

Last week I had a lovely fruit soup which according to the chef is simplicity iteself to make. I t was white peaches skinned and then whizzed up. Sliced strawberries and a splasha sparkling wine added just before serving. Cool, fresh and lovely.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » June 22nd, 2018, 9:59 am

That fruit soup sounds lovely...I’m going to try it when I find the white peaches.
Did you see the ‘cheats’ consommé on Saturday kitchen a couple of weeks ago? As I remember the tomatoes were chopped fine in a processor, then frozen, then allowed to drip through a muslin. I thought it was worth a try, but for family first, not guests!
Found the link : https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/tomato ... with_88809

There was a chat on here about the Mille feuille served with it which didn’t look too good.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 22nd, 2018, 11:11 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:And I can now confirm the soup was absolutely delicious …… shame I've got no-one to share it with (or perhaps not ! ;) ) :chops: :chef:
:hi5: :hi5:

patpoyntz wrote:Found the link : https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/tomato%20...%20with_88809There was a chat on here about the Mille feuille served with it which didn’t look too good.

She's a rubbish recipe writer too, no system - first tells you to thaw it then to bash it up while frozen :rolleyes: - but I have used a freeze / filter methods a long time ago in a lab, and it does give a very clear result usually, and I think it would work here

Compare & contrast Raymond Blanc's method without freezinng
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2130/essence-of-tomatoes-
Last edited by StokeySue on June 23rd, 2018, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » June 22nd, 2018, 3:09 pm

Well, the link doesn’t seem to work for me now...maybe she’s had complaints about her recipe!
She doesn’t write welI I agree, and the spelling is not the best...but she doesn’t actually say to bash while frozen...

“When ready to serve, defrost the mixture whilst still in the bag. Bash with a rolling pin until the mixture is well broken down. Line a colander with a large piece of muslin cloth and suspend it over a large bowl. Spoon the tomato mixture into the muslin and seal with pegs or string, then put the whole bowl into the fridge to drip away for at least 4 hours or overnight, without pressing or squeezing it at all”
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 22nd, 2018, 8:52 pm

StokeySue wrote:but I have used a freeze / filter methods a long time ago in a lab, and it does give a very clear result usually, and I think it would work here

I seem to remember Heston making an absolutely clear beef/meat consommé by freezing the stock, then thawing out through a fine mesh/muslin cloth
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 22nd, 2018, 9:00 pm

I can remember someone doing that too ... don't remember it being Heston ... possibly Rick Stein???
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 23rd, 2018, 7:38 am

It was a few years ago now … when Heston worked from his 'laboratory' above the Fat Duck and round the corner from his pub … He also made the thinnest, crispiest chicken skin too :chops: :chef: :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Previous

Return to The Kitchen