Soup

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Re: Soup

Postby hickybank » January 15th, 2015, 11:59 am

Agree also Garlic I find burns in next to no time on a high heat I only add it for the last 30 secs to a minute lowering the heat a little as well
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 15th, 2015, 12:51 pm

hickybank wrote:Agree also Garlic I find burns in next to no time on a high heat I only add it for the last 30 secs to a minute lowering the heat a little as well

yes!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » January 15th, 2015, 2:35 pm

I'm a great believer in advance preparation. Make the soup the night before, then all you have to do is last minute reheating when you get home famished. Then after supper & chatting here for a while or whatever, make the soup for the next day. That way you don't have to wait around while you make your soup, nor make compromises and eat something before it's really ready. I get barracked quite a lot over this, but it's often what I do even now I'm supposed to be retired. Let's face it, the 14th repeat of a Poirot story, or yet another intrusive report into people's private lives are not exactly that riveting to watch on TV.
Last edited by ianinfrance on January 15th, 2015, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Zosherooney » January 15th, 2015, 3:07 pm

Which is why I made the tree fellers soup the other day and froze it, I really think the flavours are better as well for the leaving of it...... (I really think there might be three of them, so made 1/2 a pint each for them? It went down a treat last time they were with us).
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby spotteddick » February 20th, 2015, 10:02 am

I have notice you lot have been slacking, what no soup since 15th of January :shock:
I have made several (oxtail, vegetable, chicken, duck).

Yesterday after I had been out taking photos of the storks etc. I was passing our local ham smoke house and though I may as well pop in and get some ham for the weekend. They always have a pile of vacuum packed ham bones and lower knuckles in a basket, I thought well they will come in handy in the future the future is now. Last night I set some split yellow peas on to soak ,I know you don't have to, but I normally but not always do.
This morning I diced a carrot, a piece of celeriac, white of a leek along with three crush and chopped garlic cloves and two red onions, softened them in the pressure cooker added the split peas, a teaspoon of margerum, 3 bay leaves and the ham bones covered all with boiling water and lid on. I am now waiting for the beeper to beep and I shall have a nice lunch.
Cheers

Dick

Just because you're wandering doesn't mean you're lost!!

http://spotteddick-itsallinthegame.blogspot.com/
spotteddick
Registered

Postby spotteddick » March 4th, 2015, 1:01 pm

Yesterday evening we had Moule Frites without the Frites (healthy option ;) ). I had made a good broth to cook them in (diced carrot, leek, celeriac, shallot, garlic, sweated down in olive oil, added a splash of wine (just 100 ml) a splash of vermouth) S&P to taste. Plonked in the pre-scrubbed and debearded mussels (2 kg and not a bad one among them), high heat and ready in next to no time.
There was a good portion left for lunch, so I decided to make a mussel soup, I de-shelled the remaining mussels and added a good 200 ml of passeriert tomato, a good spoonful of garam masala, a dusting of chilli and that was it. I don't mind saying it is bloody good, in fact I am going to have another plate full right now :hungry: :hungry: :bounce:
Last edited by spotteddick on March 4th, 2015, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 4th, 2015, 2:35 pm

Corrr....that does sound well good Dick! :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 4th, 2015, 6:05 pm

I have two bowls of carrot and corriander soup sitting in the fridge which should have been for lunch today, but the plans went awry and he went to work instead. Think I will freeze them for next Wednesday.

I have done something similar Dick to your soup. I also find that the 'water/ice' from prawns is tasty for soup too.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby spotteddick » March 4th, 2015, 7:24 pm

I also find that the 'water/ice' from prawns is tasty for soup too.
:shock: bit dodgy :?
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 4th, 2015, 7:32 pm

Bin doing it forever, still here to type about it. :tu: :chef:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Mamta » March 4th, 2015, 9:57 pm

I have come up with this chunky Hot and Sour, Chunky, Fat Fee vegetable soup for our 5:2 meal menu. It is easy to make and quite filling.
http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_dis ... p?id=10450
Mamta
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 5th, 2015, 9:07 am

Spotting by some fluke some kale rarlier (never seen it here before) I made this yesterday:

https://www.facebook.com/18879690448763 ... =1&theater

It was very flavoursome and I made enough to put 2 serving's in the freezer. Really filling but not at all heavy.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby spotteddick » March 5th, 2015, 10:38 am

Joan that looks just the bees knees for Paddies day, we normally do a nice Irish stew or similar but that would just hit the spot. :tu:
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 5th, 2015, 1:00 pm

Just what I thought Dick - had I had time i would have made soda bread.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby spotteddick » March 5th, 2015, 2:03 pm

Linda is in charge of Soda Bread and Tatty fahls, wouldn't dream of getting on her pitch :terrified:
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 24th, 2015, 4:34 pm

We have been talking about HFW's Chickpea Soup on another thread, it is in his 'Light and Easy' book and I like it.

Serves 4.

3 tblespoons extra virgin rapeseed or olive oil
4 sliced garlic cloves
2 tblespoons chopped preserved lemons (rind and flesh, not pips)
Pinch dried chilli flakes (if liked)
2 x 400g tins chickpeasdrained and rinsed
Up to 800ml hot vegetable stock
1 heaped tblespoon tahini
Salt & pepper (Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper recommended)
Chopped flatleaf parsley for garnish
Smoked paprika - for garnish

Place a saucepan on medium heat and add half of the oil, the garlic, lemon and chilli flakes (if using). Gently fry for 1-2 mins but do not let the garlic brown.
Set aside 4-5 tablespoons of whole chickpeas. Add the remainder to the pan, mix well and cook for 1 minute. Pour over 750ml hot stock and spoon in the tahini. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes.

Put the contents of the pan into a blender an puree until smooth. Add more stock if the mixture is too thick but keep it nice and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.Return to the pan and reheat gently before serving.

To serve, mix the chopped parsley with the reserved whole chickpeas, the remaining olive oil and seasoning. Divide the soup into bowls and top with the herby chickpeas then lightly dust with a pinch of smoked paprika.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Mamta » May 24th, 2015, 5:11 pm

Looks good :tu:
Mamta
Registered

Postby scullion » May 24th, 2015, 6:13 pm

earthmaiden wrote:We have been talking about HFW's Chickpea Soup on another thread, it is in his 'Light and Easy' book and I like it.

thanks, earthmaiden, i'll have a go at that next time.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 15th, 2015, 10:56 am

Most soup that I make is sort of made up as I go along - occasionally I'll follow a recipe more or less exactly - yesterday was one of those days http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vege ... Gr4GRKg.97

Absolutely delicious - superb balance of flavours - highly recommended :chops:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » October 15th, 2015, 3:46 pm

I'm also of the chuck it all in variety of soup making, but that does look nice.

If I omit the olive oil and use the frylite to soften the veg etc it would be free on SW. ( won't bother with the croutons) I think I will try this as I get sick of all the old staple soups that I make most weeks, I rathe like the idea of pasta or barley addition.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 15th, 2015, 3:52 pm

The thing about using the oil is that you fry the sage leaves in it first - that then gives you the beautifully flavoured sage oil to cook everything else in - could you do that with Frylite?
Last edited by suffolk on October 15th, 2015, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » October 15th, 2015, 3:56 pm

Probably not, to be honest by the time it gets portioned out its not going to be too bad on the SW front even if I use the oil.

Damm this diet I seem to get side tracked rather too frequently at the moment :lol:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby scullion » October 15th, 2015, 4:06 pm

leek and potato, here, today.
scullion
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » October 15th, 2015, 10:37 pm

suffolk wrote:Most soup that I make is sort of made up as I go along - occasionally I'll follow a recipe more or less exactly - yesterday was one of those days http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vege ... Gr4GRKg.97

Absolutely delicious - superb balance of flavours - highly recommended :chops:
Your recommendation inspired me to go and have a look. When I'd snagged it to bring into my database, I noticed that I'd imported it already! So, after reading your comments I've put it into my menu plan for next week. I can't wait as I love these squashes and sage goes so well with butternut.
--
All the best
Ian
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » October 16th, 2015, 5:27 am

Enjoy :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 16th, 2015, 1:11 pm

It does look yummy Suffs, I must say. :chops: I may well try that as a starter for OH's birthday meal at the beginning of Dec. I've already decided to do that fab looking beef short-rib recipe you posted for the mains. :hungry:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby spotteddick » October 16th, 2015, 1:14 pm

We have our cookery club evening meet tomorrow, the main being done by the hostess is saddle of Roe buck, this left the options of either starter, soup, fish or pudding for me, I chose the soup and fish (it is a smoked fish soup).
While at North Shields fish market I had bought some smoked haddock and cod, this was skinned and filleted and made into a stock along with the trimmings from a smoked eel and a diced onion, crushed shallot, diced carrot, celeriac, white of a leek and a spoonful of marigold stock powder, brought to the boil and allowed to simmer (the surface just moving) for about 1/2 an hour.
The stock was cleared and the haddock and cod poached in it, fish removed and an egg white filter applied, I will finely dice some root veg and just soften in the stock. Tomorrow at the venue I shall reheat the stock, flake in the cod, haddock, eel, Stremmel lachs (hot smoked baltic salmon), home smoked trout and home smoked prawns. Snip a few chives over and add some tomato petals. Serve with warm cheese rolls and fresh salty butter.
I will post a few pictures after tomorrow.
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » October 16th, 2015, 9:16 pm

scullion wrote:leek and potato, here, today.

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :chops:

:chops:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » October 17th, 2015, 3:14 pm

Grasshopper wrote:leek and potato, here, today.
And here on Monday.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Grasshopper » November 3rd, 2015, 8:59 pm

Sweet potato and carrot in a local cafe for me 2day - YUM!
:chops:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby spotteddick » November 4th, 2015, 7:50 am

Morning all.
I am starting the prep today for a Goose Consommé to go with our St Martins Goose on Saturday, I went out and got a goose carcass to form the base, this will be set off with some soup veg and chicken stock (just because I have some frozen away from last time I made chicken soup. I use the pressure cooker for this, far better than a stock pot and of course far quicker, I shall filter, it allow to cool, take the fat off the top and freeze over night, I shall then allow to drip through a gauze filter, the resulting stock will/should be perfectly clear, I shall then poach some julienne vegetables and add this along with some diced goose meat for the soup course. I may make some small goose liver dumplings to float on top, we shall see how much time I have.
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » November 4th, 2015, 8:42 am

Hi Dick,
spotteddick wrote:I use the pressure cooker for this, far better than a stock pot and of course far quicker, I shall filter it, allow to cool, take the fat off the top and freeze over night, I shall then allow to drip through a gauze filter, the resulting stock will/should be perfectly clear,
I have to say that I never use the pressure cooker to make stock, because I have always found it hard to get a stock that's clear enough to be clarified successfully. The fast boiling seems to get a lot of protein and stuff into suspension. Have you found that the freezing/thawing process works?

For me (without implying in any way that I think it's "better") I never find that the time taken is a particular issue. I pop the lot into a thermostatic "steriliser" and let it chunter overnight for about 8 hours at 95℃ before taking the stock out from a tap at the base, which of course comes out completely fat free. Mind you, cleaning up the steriliser afterwards is a messy old job!
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Ratatouille » November 4th, 2015, 2:45 pm

Like you Ian, I never got using a pressure cooker for stock right. For me it is just a very long slow simmer in a big stock pot.

I made watercess soup today to use up the huge bunch I got in the market on Saturady for €1.00. I make it rather like leek and tattie and include the stems. Blend then a swirl of cream and some chopped raw leaves on top.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » November 4th, 2015, 4:56 pm

Ratatouille wrote:I made watercress soup today
We've been making that recently a couple of times. Grand'frais seems to have it in reliably, and with fairly elderly leeks and spuds of uncertain size from the garden, it's an excellent use of "wonkies". Lovely soup too. I use the Mastering the Art recipe.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Zosherooney » November 4th, 2015, 5:49 pm

My 6 pints of french onion soup was voted 'best in show' at my cheese and wine party for 12 last Saturday, the addition of red wine vinegar and sherry just set it off right !!! I also did the crouton with cheese on top and even my non eating cheese hubbie ate and enjoyed it.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby spotteddick » November 7th, 2015, 9:36 am

Well for those that have never tried it the pressure cooker/freeze and slow thaw worked a treat (I have done it a few times so knew it would work), the trick is to allow it to defrost through a double layer of muslin and do not be tempted to prod and poke it, just allow it to drip drip and discard the sludge before it has all completely defrosted. This will give you a perfectly clear golden brown consommé. I am now going to make goose liver spätzle to float in the consommé, I realised I had made made these for a game consommé a few years ago using hare liver, but this time it is going to be goose liver.
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » November 7th, 2015, 10:52 am

If ever you felt like writing something I could follow, (you know me, t's dotted and eyes crossed) I'd be delighted to give it a go.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby spotteddick » November 7th, 2015, 11:11 am

I shall be blogging it later! so not only writing but loads of pics (makes it easy for the hard of hearing :lol: :lol: )
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » November 7th, 2015, 11:54 am

Thanks. A link when it's up would be great.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Luca » November 7th, 2015, 4:42 pm

Isn't that the method Heston used to make his clear, golden chicken consommé? I have used it very successfully in the past and once upon a time - here or elsewhere - there were quite a lot of posts about it. Not sure if Heston used a pressure cooker though but it's the thawing through muslin or a double layer of coffee filters which does the trick. I also remember Gill blogging about it.

http://www.sbs.com.au/shows/howtocookli ... cipe/14367
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby spotteddick » November 9th, 2015, 7:16 am

I agree that is a method that Heston made famous, and is in his book the fat duck, also it was discussed at great length on the old BBC board.
But here is a link to my blog on my effort this weekend (St Martin's day) on Goose consommé with goose liver Spätzle.
http://spotteddick-itsallinthegame.blogspot.de/2015/11/goose-consomme-with-goose-liver-spatzle.html
Last edited by spotteddick on November 9th, 2015, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 9th, 2015, 7:22 am

Just read it Dick - that must've tasted amazing! :drool:

I must say I found your description of your method very clear :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » November 9th, 2015, 9:42 am

Thanks very much Dick.

As Suffolk said, very clear instructions with plenty of detail.

One question. I've got a spätzle maker which is like a sort of mandoline only instead of a blade it's got flat holes. The food guide has curved edges fore and aft, and therefore when sliding it to and fro, the dough is forced through the holes. I make my galushka (hungarian variant of spätzle) in it and it works pretty well. Is the liver spätlze dough likely to work in this, do you think?

I think I will get myself a duck carcase or two (available freely almost everywhere here) and see how it works. I hope I can work out the sieve/muslin OK.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » November 9th, 2015, 10:26 am

suffolk wrote:Just read it Dick - that must've tasted amazing! :drool:

I must say I found your description of your method very clear :tu:

Just realised - that was a brilliantly good choice of words, given the subject :tutu:

Totally unintentional at that time in the morning tho' :rolleyes: :mug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » November 9th, 2015, 10:46 am

What a shame, Suffolk, I was very impressed by your choice of words.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby spotteddick » November 9th, 2015, 10:49 am

Is the liver spätlze dough likely to work in this, do you think?

I see no reason why not, I think that dough/batter would work in either a hobel (what you have) or a press what comes on some potato ricers. It is a very strong batter (the Germans call it Zehe-flüssig). The important thing is to beat it until bubbles stay on the surface. I have used it with duck (infact with most game and birds) and it works fantastically well, after the clarification you can reduce it even more, making what the Germans call a Kraft Brühe.
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby spotteddick » November 9th, 2015, 10:50 am

Ahh Suffs you are always ever so bright that early ion the morning :lol:
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » November 9th, 2015, 4:25 pm

spotteddick wrote:The important thing is to beat it until bubbles stay on the surface.
Yup, that's the same for my daragalushka, I usually make them in much larger quantities to make noodles to go with hungarian food, and I whizz the dough in the magimix until you get those blisters. Nearly stalls the motor too, by the way. Sounds promising. Thanks again Dick.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Luca » November 9th, 2015, 8:19 pm

Looks delicious Dick. Think I may have to pick up a goose soon. I want to make a cassoulet for the freezer and always like to use the bones elsewhere.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby spotteddick » November 25th, 2015, 8:03 am

Yesterday I made a nice smoked fish Soup (Chowder, Bisque call it what you will)
I defrosted about 3/4 of a litre of fish stock, heated it through, poached some diced fresh salmon and then some hot smoked salmon, eel and smoked trout. I then diced some potatoes from Sunday, added some chopped herbs (chives and parsley) finished it off with 150ml of cream and a handful of brown shrimps. We had this with sime nice crusty sour dough whole meal bread. Very tasty
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen