Soup

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Re: Soup

Postby spotteddick » January 15th, 2016, 1:54 pm

Hi again, not much soup cooking being going on ;)
We are out at our yearly cookery club curly kale feast on Sarurday, we all make a little something to add to the kale, potatoes, smoked regional pork sausages (Pinkel), Kassler and sliced pork rear end (bum cheeks).
I am doing a soup to start off, I was contemplating doing a small haggis starter, but thought with the heavy meal to follow it could be a bit much. So I settled for a Soup in the end, it is a roasted butternut squash and peppers, I added other vegetables (carrots, onions and leek) to make a sort of Pestou. I roasted the squash, peppers and onion along with a couple of garlic cloves, drizzled with olive oil. I then boiled the leek, carrot in a stock, added thyme, marjoram, lovage and a good pinch of both smoked paprika and cumin. When soft blended into a nice thick soup, this will be served with (as a matter of choice) thinly sliced chorisso, thinly sliced and diced, smoked smoked boar and red deer. I have just finished making the rolls, 75% wholemeal, 25% strong bread flour, half are sundried tomatoes and toasted seeds, the other half are black olives with pine nuts and rosemary. The smell is almost unbearable but I shall wait until tomorrow evening.
Cheers

Dick

Just because you're wandering doesn't mean you're lost!!

http://spotteddick-itsallinthegame.blogspot.com/
spotteddick
Registered

Postby Luca » January 15th, 2016, 7:58 pm

Sounds delicious! I love vegetable soups such as that with added meaty bits.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby spotteddick » January 18th, 2016, 4:42 pm

Due to reason outside of my control, I had to do a quick meal for tonight (Linda was coming home as normal because her friend had cried off the cinema evening) I had to break my bird watching jaunt and dash to the Turkish butchers. I got a kilo of mutton ribs as I had decided on a mutton broth. Large onion, diced and sweated down in a little vegetable oil, added the ribs and allowed to brown a little added half a packet of broth mix, a table spoon of freeze dried vegetables and 1.5 L of lamb stock, brought to the boil, lowered the heat and allowed it to simmer for a good hour, when the meat was falling off the bones and the barley bloated and tender, I added fresh chopped vegetables, a piece of celeriac, a piece of turnip (neep), 3 carrots, 3 floury potatoes and the white of a large leek. Added 1L of boiling water and again allowed to simmer for 30 minutes (or until the vegetables are soft and the potatoes have melted into the broth making it thick and creamy, it is ready to eat. Now where is that girl :hungry:

Edited: forgot to say a spoonful each of thyme, oregano and marjoram was added at the same time as the vegetables.
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 18th, 2016, 5:01 pm

OH brought almost all of a whole celery 'plant' home from work the other day as he'd had some for lunch with some cheese ... it's been sitting in the fridge over the weekend ... today I softened a couple of chopped onions and three garlic cloves, chopped up the celery and added that and some chicken stock (made with a couple of those stock pot things) and bay leaves.
It simmered for about an hour then I took it off the heat and cooked it before whizzing it in the liquidiser, returning it to the pan, seasoning it with some garlic salt and stirred in a big dollop of crème fraiche .......... toasted some good wholemeal bread and .............. lunch was served :chops:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 18th, 2016, 5:16 pm

I have started having a weekly magazine called coincidentally 'Woman's Weekly' ;) :lol: Is this a sign of my impending old age I hear you ask ?

The best thing about it is the very sensible/straight forward recipes. Last week's edition had some I will definitely try:

Spinach and coconut
Mushroom Tofu and noodle
Kale, chicken and miso
Chilli, beef and Chickpea
Smoked haddock chowder
Roasted beetroot
Tikka butternut
Spiced Sweet potato and lentil
Creamed Parsnip and coriander

and more ...
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » January 18th, 2016, 5:22 pm

Mmm, the creamed parsnip and coriander sounds nice.
Hold on . . . until you find your smile again.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 18th, 2016, 8:46 pm

Basically it's chopped onions and 2tsp ground coriander gently fried in 30g butter for a few minutes. Add a crushed garlic clove, 600g chopped parsnips and 1 ltr veg.stock. Season, bring to boil and simmer for 25 mins. Add 150ml milk then blitz.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » January 18th, 2016, 10:00 pm

Thanks Pat - I have some parsnips in :-)
Hold on . . . until you find your smile again.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby Catherine » January 19th, 2016, 12:23 am

suffolk wrote:OH brought almost all of a whole celery 'plant' home from work the other day as he'd had some for lunch with some cheese ... it's been sitting in the fridge over the weekend ... today I softened a couple of chopped onions and three garlic cloves, chopped up the celery and added that and some chicken stock (made with a couple of those stock pot things) and bay leaves.
It simmered for about an hour then I took it off the heat and cooked it before whizzing it in the liquidiser, returning it to the pan, seasoning it with some garlic salt and stirred in a big dollop of crème fraiche .......... toasted some good wholemeal bread and .............. lunch was served :chops:

Yum, I love celery soup. My brother in law buys about 3 heads of celery a week as I use it a lot in the kids meals. If there is some still left at the end of the week the kids love it chopped into big chunks and billed with rice. They have rice with most things preferring it to potatoes, including chips.
Catherine
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 19th, 2016, 8:26 am

Duh! 'Head' of celery - of course - brain wasn't working :oops:

My brother's kids used to prefer rice - he despaired - he's a potato farmer :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 19th, 2016, 1:39 pm

I should have mentioned what I cooked last weekend.

We had moules frites for supper on Friday but i had to but a 2.5kg of Cancale bio mussels which is far too many for the two of us for one meal. As they were so fresh i kept the rest in the fridge and cooked them next day, they were fine. i shelled them , strained the cooking liquid and made mussel chowder with smoked lardons, green pepper, potato and sweet corn. I added milk and a bit of cream and it was absolutely delicious with some crusty bread.

I shall not be scared of buying these packs of mussels in future because i know I shan't waste them.

Yesterday I made sprout and smoky bacon soup. Something i haven't made for years. Here's the recipe:

Smoked Bacon and Sprout Soup

2 medium onion
2 oz / 60 g butter
1 lb / 500 g Brussels sprouts, trimmed and washed
4 oz / 120 g smoked streaky bacon, chopped
½ pint / 3 dl chicken or ham stock
½ pint / 3 dl milk
Seasoning
Toasted flaked hazelnuts to garnish

In a soup pan, sauté the onions in the butter, add the bacon and cook until golden. Add the sprouts and seasoning. Cover with damp greaseproof paper, put the lid on the pan and continue to cook very gently for a further 15 minutes. Remove the paper and add the stock. Cook for a further 15 - 20 minutes. Liquidise and return to the pan with the milk heat through. Serve with a sprinkling of toasted flaked hazelnuts.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby spotteddick » January 28th, 2016, 1:21 pm

I have just finished putting together tonights evening meal, a leek and potato soup, I didn't have a lot of leek so it was eked out by adding the remains of the broccoli from yesterday, it has given it a nice vivid green colour. I will blend it later but will keep it lumpy, I dislike baby food :lol:
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » January 28th, 2016, 4:48 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Smoked Bacon and Sprout Soup
That looks really lovely, Joan. I

I've not seen cancale mussels around in this area. What I've been buying are vac packs weighing around 1.4kg from all over, we've had them from Ireland, the Netherlands and more recently from the Baie de St Michel, which were magnificent. Almost no waste at all, beautifully clean, all I had to do to use them was to swish them through and check they were all closed tight.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby veeveg » February 10th, 2016, 10:58 pm

I made the butternut squash soup featured on Mary Berry's programme of last night. It was very sweet and strangely reminded me of the tomato soup made by the 57 varieties company.
veeveg
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 11th, 2016, 6:52 am

That reminds me - I've got some Crown Prince squash in the fridge that needs using up ... I might make some roasted squash soup.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby veeveg » February 11th, 2016, 8:31 am

I think it was the addition of a red pepper that made the soup so sweet. The ginger was nice though, giving it a bit of a kick, but overall it was too sweet to me......and I love sweet food!
veeveg
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 11th, 2016, 11:27 am

My usual squash soup is loosely based on Nigel Slater's recipe. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p011gtf6 which although sweet isn't overly so.

However I've just found his recipe for pumpkin scones (Tender Vol 1) which would be lovely made with Crown Prince squash, and I'm visiting DS tomorrow who could do with some maternal tlc ........
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » February 11th, 2016, 4:37 pm

We recently made a really good soup for the second time. I make it after smoking my own salmon, because I have the offcuts taken from the outside. It's a potato leek and smoked salmon cream soup. Really luxurious and (because it uses offcuts) reasonably priced.

Creamy Smoked Salmon, Leek and Potato Soup
30 g Butter
2 large leeks, halved & finely sliced
1 leaf bay
1 kg floury potatoes, diced
1 litre Stock, chicken or vegetables
100 ml double cream
200 g smoked salmon -- cut into strips
1 small bunch chives -- snipped

Heat the butter in a large saucepan and add the finely sliced leeks and bay leaf. Sweat gently on a low heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until the leek is really soft.then stir in the potatoes until coated in butter.

Pour over the stock and cream and bring to a gentle boil, before turning down to a simmer. Gently bubble for 10 to 15 mins until the potatoes are really tender (if freezing at this stage, slightly undercook the potatoes. and freeze. Defrost and continue cooking until the potatoes are really tender).

Add two thirds of the smoked salmon stir in and season. Serve the soup in deep bowls with the remaining smoked salmon and snipped chives on top.

Servings: 8
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby veeveg » February 11th, 2016, 10:18 pm

Thank you Suffolk for the Nigel Slater soup recipe. I think I will try to make that at the weekend as I have a squash in the veg basket......that is if I can resist the smoked salmon recipe ianinfrance has posted :D
veeveg
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 19th, 2016, 12:07 pm

I've just made and eaten some of this Summer Squash and Basil Soup for lunch

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/summ ... ecipe.html

I made it with some of our Pattypan squash glut from the garden, but I'm sure it'd work just fine with courgettes or any other thin skinned summer squash.

Really tasty. :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 20th, 2016, 11:58 pm

That recipe looks gloriously simple and gloriously tasty.
I might just make that tomorrow ( or today over there) after a visit to the Sunday market!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Annie » August 22nd, 2016, 12:49 pm

The weather is so awful today and a sudden drop in temperature so making a chowder seems appropriate.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 21st, 2016, 11:56 am

On Saturday the weather was foul and I felt like soup for lunch.

I had about a one person portion of Romanesco (uncooked) that had been sitting in the fridge for several days - I cut it into small chunks and sliced up three spring onions of similar vintage and simmered them in a small pan of water with a Kallo chicken stock cube.

When cooked (about 7 mins) but still with a bit of bite I zapped them with the stick blender and added a tablespoon of creme fraiche .

Result! :chef: A really good quick lunch on a day when you want a warming but not stodgy soup :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 21st, 2016, 12:14 pm

I might have a cup a soup today as it is miserable and wet, tommy and basil or broccoli & stilton.... ? Too much to do to make it from scratch but I did my version of ribollata last week for the two of us, quite tasty with lentils and kale. I will make that again.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby ShotleyGirl » November 21st, 2016, 1:12 pm

I made leek and potato yesterday and it was bliddy lovely :chops: will most probably make tomato soup sometime this week :chef:
Laughter is brightest where food is best - Irish Proverb
ShotleyGirl
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 21st, 2016, 1:32 pm

I've got some lovely smoked bacon stock from yesterday's gammon joint - I might make a ribollita later in the week - we've got some chard in the garden that would be lovely with it. :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » November 21st, 2016, 3:56 pm

I made parsnip, ginger and Apple served with chicken crackling this week as part of a challenge for a FB food group I belong to.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 21st, 2016, 5:38 pm

That sounds delicious MM - any chance of the recipe? :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » November 21st, 2016, 6:17 pm

I found a limp lettuce (a soft round butterball type) so made a lettuce, leek and frozen pea soup...a lovely colour and lovely taste. I used veggie stock, and whizzed with a little milk.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » November 24th, 2016, 10:23 am

It was made up Suffolk so I don't have exact quantities, I think it was 4 parsnips, one small Apple plus a bag of Apple wedges, a thumbish piece of ginger and a small freezer container of chicken stock, plus the same of water.
I slow cookered it untill it was all soft, blended, sieved and served with a swirl of cream and Apple cubes
It was very liquid which worked with the crackling and the rest of the meal, but as a stand alone soup I'd have skipped the seiving stage to make it more filling.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 25th, 2016, 8:34 am

MM - thanks - that gives me the basics ... I've bookmarked it for when Bro delivers our annual sack of parsnips :shock:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 29th, 2016, 6:30 pm

Stock, water chestnut slices, coconut cream, rainbow vermicelli, a handful of spring onion tops, yellow curry paste, small lemongrass dumplings. One mugful left for a lunch tomorrow. :chops: :chops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 22nd, 2016, 11:24 am

I needed to clear out the veg drawer in the fridge, so made this soup the other day:

A white onion, chopped and sweated in some oil; add about 4 cloves of garlic, then a carrot, parsnip, half courgette, a leek, a small cauliflower and some very tired broccoli, all cut into chunks. Add a litre of veg stock, then pressure cook (or gently simmer until veg is soft) for about 15 minutes. Blitz the whole lot then add about 200g blue goats cheese and chopped coriander, with about 200ml of milk ... Delicious :chops: :hungry:

Today it will be the red/orange veg: Red onion, red pepper, sweet potato and another leek .....
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 22nd, 2016, 11:35 am

I had a nice head of celery to use up, so I made celery soup, essentially a half quantity of this recipe (a good head of celery weighs about 500 gm)

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9121/celery-soup

I mad a few changes - I didn't have any cookers, so used a Cox's apple, and I didn't add the lemon juice as I couldn't find a lemon and I didn't think it needed it. I didn't add the garnish either. just a dash of gold top!
I cooked for much longer than stated & the celery never got really soft, so although a reasonable texture when thoroughly blitzed, if making for guests I'd definitely use the fine blade of the mouli (one of those super blenders would be ideal here)

But very nice, and I think the hint of apple makes it
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Catherine » January 5th, 2017, 11:13 pm

I made a simple but lovely soup for my parents over Christmas (well they said it was lovely anyway) I used a large whole cauliflower and added that chopped to a large onion and a couple of cloves of garlic that I had sweated off with some curry powder. I added chicken stock and a small chopped potato, and seasoned. Cooked for about 10-15minutes then blitzed the lot with a hand blender. It didn't need any milk or cream so was really healthy, but they found it very filling. I served it with cheese and onion toasties. When I say I used the whole cauliflower, I meant it, I threw all of it in. It tasted even better the net day too.
Catherine
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 5th, 2017, 11:23 pm

I make leek and potato soup most weeks. Yesterday I chucked into the usual mix the leftover cauliflower in white sauce and a few green beans from NYE, the cauliflower had a mix of Parmesan and breadcrumbs on the top. It really lifted the soup and the cauliflower thickened the soup and made it much more filling than usual. I get fed up of soup, especially slimming world friendly ones, but this one was really lovely.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 6th, 2017, 2:44 pm

We need more soup in this dull winter weather :tu: :tu: :tu: I expect the parmesan gave it the lift BB.... :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Catherine » January 7th, 2017, 7:03 pm

Zosherooney wrote:We need more soup in this dull winter weather :tu: :tu: :tu: I expect the parmesan gave it the lift BB.... :tu:

These soups should hit the spot

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -aubergine
Catherine
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » January 8th, 2017, 12:58 pm

I've currently got lentil in the slowy, with stock from the Gammon I just cooked in there.
I'm not serving it until Tuesday which hopefully will be daughter's first session with a Maths tutor.
Some of the gammon will be for dinner with egg and chips, the rest will go in the freezer for a risotto next week.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 8th, 2017, 5:20 pm

MagicMarmite wrote:I've currently got lentil in the slowy, with stock from the Gammon I just cooked in there.

Snap! I've just made (and frozen) a stew/broth made with the stock from my Nigella Christmas gammon (in coke). I've included lentils, some veg going cheap at local Tesco (carrots, sugar snap peas, mushrooms, a red pepper and some onions) and some belly pork (also going cheap). Should be quite yummy for a cold night. :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 11th, 2017, 12:23 pm

What've we got for lunch?

Lots of choice in the fridge and the pantry but nothing I fancied ... but there's an elderly leek and a couple of lurking potatoes ... chopped up, softened in some butter, poured on some water and a chicken stock cube and simmered for fifteen minutes, mashed with a potato masher and a spoon full of creme fraiche stirred in ... delicious leek and potato soup ........... suddenly OH abandons his plans for sardines on toast .... just as well there's plenty for two .........
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 13th, 2017, 7:55 am

I found some ox tail on the rtc clear counter at my local Tesco the other day ... so guess what I made yesterday .. I love ox tail, even in this weather. It did give me the excuse to use up leeks and carrots from the bottom of the fridge :tu: It is languishing in the fridge now as I need to get the fat off the top, but will be supper tonight :chops:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 13th, 2017, 9:02 am

I'm on my way Patsy ............. :drool:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Luca » July 13th, 2017, 9:50 am

Me too. I love oxtail. My mother used to make a fabulous oxtail stew with the normal mirepoix and a couple of handfuls of pearl barley. Served with crispy baked potatoes with plenty of butter. Real stick to the ribs food which kept us lot full and out of mischief when we were younger - actually I think it gave us the energy to get up to mischief as afternoons were spent out and about with no parental influence!
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 13th, 2017, 10:33 am

I intend to add the barley once I have skimmed the fat off... I sincerely hope that barley is allowed on Slimming World ;) (as fat isn't :( ) :lol:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 13th, 2017, 11:28 am

Barley is a new wonder food Patsy ;) !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » July 13th, 2017, 11:33 am

naah, i often used to 'wonder' why my mum put it in stews when i was little. horrible slimy lumps.
scullion
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 13th, 2017, 11:38 am

scullion wrote:naah, i often used to 'wonder' why my mum put it in stews when i was little. horrible slimy lumps.

totally agree. My mum makes a delicious chicken broth soup, but she no longer puts pearl barley in it if she knows I will be having some. Utterly vile
Catherine
Registered

Postby Luca » July 13th, 2017, 4:41 pm

Each to their own! ;) I love it.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » July 13th, 2017, 6:11 pm

Luca wrote:Each to their own! ;) I love it.

So do I :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen