beef wellington

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

beef wellington

Postby milton2 » March 31st, 2010, 12:33 pm

Hi All. Just wondered which beef wellinton recipe you have found to be the most successful. I am planning to try the John Torode one this weekend, unless there is a completely foolproof one out there that I don't know about yet.
milton2
Registered

Re: beef wellington

Postby peasoupdragon » March 31st, 2010, 3:04 pm

None :evil:

Sorry - it always looks lovely in the Cookery books though
Never met a curry I didn't like
peasoupdragon
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » March 31st, 2010, 10:06 pm

I'm 100% with PSD on this.

I've never had one made by anyone where the pastry was perfect and the meat perfectly cooked at the same time.

I think it's really hard to get right. Certainly I've never succeeded. I'd serve grilled rare fillet steak with some foie gras and duxelles on the top and a couple of puff pastry crescents. Call it a "deconstructed" beef Wellington! :D :lol:
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby milton2 » April 1st, 2010, 6:27 am

Ta for the replies. I shall let you know how it goes...
milton2
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » April 1st, 2010, 8:47 am

Hi again Milton2

Sorry not to have been more positive. But - do let us know.

I do have one tip, which you may or may not like to try. It's not altogether authentic, but one can use a brioche type dough round the fillet, quite successfully, because - unlike puff pastry, which can't stand warmth before it gets cooked - the fact that it's yeast raised means that the residual warmth of the meat helps the dough rise a bit extra before baking.
--
All the best
Ian
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby marcecath » April 1st, 2010, 7:01 pm

Hi Milton 2!
I have read a recipe that says to wrap a pancake between the steak and the pastry - stops it going soggy!! I think it was the Olive mag when 2 different ways were tested.
Marce
marcecath
Registered

Postby marcecath » April 1st, 2010, 7:08 pm

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1138 ... wellington
Found the recipe!! Looks very yummy!! It was a pro v punter . This was the best . Hope this helps.
Marce
marcecath
Registered

Postby Joyola » April 2nd, 2010, 6:03 pm

Hello All,

This is my first post here, saw a mention of it on the BBC site, I think it was a post by IaninFrance.

Back to Beef Wellington, I've never cooked this, but my daughter has done it for the last two Christmases, following Gordon Ramsey's recipe, and it has been
beautiful, the beef is topped with a mushroom mixture.
Joyola

Postby Luca » April 2nd, 2010, 6:32 pm

Joyola wrote:Hello All,

This is my first post here, saw a mention of it on the BBC site, I think it was a post by IaninFrance.

Back to Beef Wellington, I've never cooked this, but my daughter has done it for the last two Christmases, following Gordon Ramsey's recipe, and it has been
beautiful, the beef is topped with a mushroom mixture.

Welcome to this board Joyola! I like Gordon Ramsay's recipes generally so shall look out for it.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby ianinfrance » April 2nd, 2010, 7:43 pm

Hi there Joyola,
Joyola wrote:This is my first post here, saw a mention of it on the BBC site, I think it was a post by IaninFrance.
Who me? (a pity there's no innocent whistle smiley). If that's the case, it behoves me to give you a big :hug: of welcome.
[quote="Joyola"Back to Beef Wellington, I've never cooked this, but my daughter has done it for the last two Christmases, following Gordon Ramsey's recipe, and it has been beautiful, the beef is topped with a mushroom mixture.[/quote]Yes, that's right. A proper Beef Wellington has a layer of duxelles (mushrooms choppped, cooked with shallots and herbs) spread round it before being wrapped. I have seen recipes that use foie gras as well - very decadent.

I like the idea of wrapping a very fine pancake round the duxelles, before applying the puff pastry. It must improve the results.

Like Luca, I have found many of Gordon R's recipes to be very successful. If ever I had a criticism, it would be that some of them aren't properly tested, with quantities that can be more than a bit approximate. I'd not make one for a dinner party without having tried it out first.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Luca » April 2nd, 2010, 7:50 pm

ianinfrance wrote:Like Luca, I have found many of Gordon R's recipes to be very successful. If ever I had a criticism, it would be that some of them aren't properly tested, with quantities that can be more than a bit approximate. I'd not make one for a dinner party without having tried it out first.

That's a good point if you are talking about a formal dinner party... but the same would apply for most chef's recipes for me . When we have dinner parties I would never try a new recipe unless it was a variation on something I had already done which I knew would work. For a more elaborate recipe ..... first time around I save that for family or informal meals with close friends! :)
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby ianinfrance » April 2nd, 2010, 8:19 pm

Hi Luca,

Luca wrote:but the same would apply for most chef's recipes for me

I agree with you for many "chef's" cookbooks, where I'm afraid I often find to be unevenly proof read. However, my criterion for a really good cookbook (I'm sure I've said this before to you) is that I can so rely on it that I can cook from it "in anger" and be quite sure that the recipe will work. There aren't many like that, in my view. "Mastering the art of French Cooking" is the one that first comes to mind, but I've NEVER done a recipe from a Delia book that wasn't perfect first time. That's not so say that I might not decide to modify them, but not because I feel the first attempt was wrong.

Maybe I'm too exigent - demanding - but I do feel that if a famous chef puts his name to a recipe book ( even if I would be naive to imagine that he's done all the testing and development him/herself) at the least the recipes should work well enough for a formal dinner at the first attempt - certainly when attempted by a competent and experienced cook.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby milton2 » April 3rd, 2010, 6:25 am

Well, tonight's the night......
I will let you know how it goes...
milton2
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 3rd, 2010, 11:10 pm

Hope all went well Milton. I don't know what recipe my mum uses but she makes a fantastic wellington. Meat rare and pastry perfect. I gets the thumbs up from the eaters anyway. Hope you enjoyed yours
Catherine
Registered

Postby milton2 » April 4th, 2010, 5:58 am

HURRAH....the wellington was perfect.... wrapping it in parma ham worked really well and was easy to do and really added a certain something to the taste. I cooked it for a birthday dinner for some friends, who are serious foodies and very good cooks. My wellington was described as "a triumph". I am really pleased... will try out some more recipes from JT's book.
milton2
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » April 4th, 2010, 7:59 am

Well done,

And thanks for coming back to tell us all about it.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Return to The Kitchen