Northumberland cheeses - SOS

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Northumberland cheeses - SOS

Postby MariaKK » June 1st, 2010, 1:19 pm

I have been given 2 cheeses (aprox 600 g each) from Northumberland – special import:

Brinkburn – a semihard goat’s cheese

What it should look like !
http://vixosborne.wordpress.com/tag/brinkburn/

and a Coquetdale
Described as:
“a full-fat semi-hard cheese, made from pasteurised cow's milk and vegetarian rennet ….takes its name from Coquetdale, Northumberland. .
Coquetdale cheese is ripened in a mould for ten weeks, during which time it develops a yellowish-grey natural rind.
The producers describe Coquetdale as "rich, clean and creamy with a melting texture and a long, fruity finish". The cheese won first prize at the Bakewell Show in 2006. “

Unfortunately, they suffered considerably in transport (travelled 3 x the 300 miles ‘tween Northumberland & London + flight + storage in hotel drinks fridge + …) and are now very “mature” .

Put out half the Brinkburn out on Friday – some liked it some did not – as part of a mostly French cheese platter though with contributions from elsewhere, brought by husband’s colleagues who were here to talk traditional salt making.

Question is – what can I do to use them up?

The Brinkburn really is very strong – and that’s after I cut off all the rind and quite a bit into the cheese. Haven’t dared open the Coquetdale yet.

It seems a terrible shame as I’m sure they’d be delish if at their best.

I googled Northumberland recipes / restaurant menus … All I came up with was a cheese and red pepper quiche for the former and a “Coquetdale rarebit” for the latter. Also found a recipe for a similar quiche but with goat's cheese added to the pastry and Monterrey Jack in filling:
http://www.redwoodhill.com/sweet-pepper ... cipe_title

This weekend I’ll again have to feed quite a few (mostly Spaniards, a couple of Moroccans and a lone Brit ) It’ll have to be buffet /finger food as too many (15ish)to sit round the table – though one evening I could do a sort of “cheese fondue” as there’ll only be 5 or 6 of us. What French cheese would you add to the Brinkburn to calm it down? Use white wine (¿suggestions?) or a brut cider – plenty of that in exBrittany. haven't made a cheese fondue in decades!! - tend to do raclette, much easier.

All suggestions will be most welcome – thanks in advance.

Marja
MariaKK
Registered

Return to The Kitchen