leftovers

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

leftovers

Postby milton2 » June 28th, 2010, 5:26 am

Hi All. We had a party for my 50th birthday on saturday, and had a pig roast. It was fantastic pork, really soft and melting, but i now have loads of it left over. Aside from sweet and sour, what else can I do with it. Will be busy freezing today. :cocktail:
milton2
Registered

Re: leftovers

Postby Bazzer » June 28th, 2010, 5:28 am

Between two slices of crusty bread with just white pepper. :chops:
The Miserable Old Git At The End Of The Bar, On His Own And Moaning

http://www.overthegate.co.uk A friendly forum for country matters
Bazzer
Registered

Postby milton2 » June 28th, 2010, 6:10 am

Have done loads of that........yum.... After posting, I had a look at Sakkarins excellant search engine and found loads of really great ideas. I really fancy trying to make rillettes, but can it be done with leftover pork ?
milton2
Registered

Postby icelesley » June 28th, 2010, 7:55 am

pork stroganoff
pork and apple burger
just pork slices
pork and ginger stir fry
spicey pork with noodles

Just a few
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby milton2 » June 28th, 2010, 9:10 am

Thanks icelesley....I can feel another yum coming on..
milton2
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » June 28th, 2010, 12:37 pm

milton2 wrote:. I really fancy trying to make rillettes, but can it be done with leftover pork ?
Not really, no. Rillettes are designed as a way to use up fatty pork - especially belly. You have to cook the meat very very slowly ans then when it gets very soft, you pull it apart with a fork.

I love leftover pork, and we often just make some chicken stock gravy and just warm up the pork slices in that. But I think, best of all is in slices in sarnies as bazzer said, though I also like to add a relish of one kind or another. Old Doverhouse chutney is magic with it, but so are loads of other chutneys.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby milton2 » June 29th, 2010, 5:01 am

Thanks for that Ian, back to the drawing board for rillettes then. I make ny own chutney, and a particularly good plum chutney from my own tree. It also makes lovely jam.
Not pork I know, but food none the less.
Anyone got a T&T for rillettes?
milton2
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » June 29th, 2010, 8:36 am

Hi Milton,
milton2 wrote:Anyone got a T&T for rillettes?

I thought that might be coming, so here you go, this is how I made them, though I have to say Rilettes are not my favourite paté. Be very careful with the seasoning. Too often they are horribly bland, I find.

Code: Select all
Rillettes De Tours

1.6 kg lean pork
900 g fat pork
25 g salt
10 g freshly ground black pepper
1 pinch ground nutmeg   
1/2 tsp ground allspice   
1 pinch thyme   
2 leaves bay leaves   
400 ml water

Different cities have different versions of this dish. In Tours they are made of pure pork; half of the lean pork in this recipe is replaced with an equal quantity of duck or goose to make 'rillettes du Mans', or with an equal quantity of rabbit for 'rillettes d'Orleans'. Serve rillettes at room temperature as a spread for fresh bread or toast; gherkin pickles and black olives are the traditional accompaniments.

Set the oven at low (160°C/320°F). Cut the lean and fat pork in 5 cm cubes and put them in a large heavy pot. Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, allspice, thyme, bay leaves and three-quarters of the water and slowly bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cover tightly and cook in the oven, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 hours or until all the fat has melted and is clear.

As the liquid evaporates, add more water gradually to prevent the meat from sticking. Rillettes should cook slowly; never let them boil in the oven, turning down the oven temperature if necessary.

Drain the pork, discarding the bay leaves. Reserve the fat and leave it to cool. Shred the meat with two forks, discarding the bones. When the fat is nearly cold, mix it with the meat; taste for seasoning. Pack the rillettes
into glass jars or stone crocks, cover with waxed paper and tie the paper in place with string. Store in a cool, dry place for at least 2 days before serving. If sealed with a layer of melted lard, rillettes can be kept for
up to 2 weeks.

Recipe after Ann Willan "French Regional Cookery"
Notes:  IMH
Yield: 12 as starter

Delia has a good recipe too, though you don't need to go through her stage of cutting down the meats into strips. You could try using her way of dealing with the jelly, as it would tend to give a more succulent and less fatty spread. However, the recipe I give will give the sort of spread you get all over France, in good charcutiers.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby milton2 » June 29th, 2010, 6:10 pm

Thanks Ian, you are a star. Will try this when it's not so hot.
milton2
Registered

Postby SchueySue » June 30th, 2010, 7:55 am

milton2 wrote:We had a party for my 50th birthday on saturday, and had a pig roast.

Belated Happy Birthday - and what a wonderful food idea. I love pig roasts. As you say, I see a lot of freezing going on there!

Whenever I have cold pork left I like to chop it into small pieces, toss into a home made spicy tomato sauce, tip the whole lot into a casserole dish and make a pasta bake with it. Not a solution if you have lots of pork to deal with, but just an idea.
Still in Brittany and staying there!!
SchueySue
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » June 30th, 2010, 11:32 am

Left over pork?
Perfect for making Mexican food - use it to stuff some (mild) chiles, to make "Cochino Pibil " (mixed with spices and orange juice) or to make Jerk Pork - pull the pork apart and flash fry it until it starts going crispy.
BUT - it'll freeze fine - my wife often does the same when we have a Leg of pork.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby milton2 » June 30th, 2010, 8:28 pm

WOW ! What fantastic ideas. Have enough left over to pretty much try everything.

Thanks for the birthday wishes SchueySue. It was a really good party, and loads of brilliant costumes. Lots and lots of :cocktail:
milton2
Registered

Return to The Kitchen