Cold milk for breakfast

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Cold milk for breakfast

Postby chools » June 29th, 2010, 9:02 am

This morning I discovered I hadn't replaced a carton of milk (oat) that I'd used up yesterday and the new one from the cupboard was cool rather than cold

I know that in winter some folk have hot milk on their cereal (Hot milk - another smell I can't abide!) but I'm firmly in the cold camp, especially on the likes of hot porridge

Are you a: cold/ doesn't matter/ or a hot milk breakfast person?
chools

Re: Cold milk for breakfast

Postby Rosie » June 29th, 2010, 9:28 am

chools wrote:Are you a: cold/ doesn't matter/ or a hot milk breakfast person?

Any cereal [home-made muesli or Allbran/branflakes with added nuts/dried fruit] tends to be my supper rather than breakfast, and it's definitely cold or at room temperature regarding milk [soya lite], but never ever hot or even slightly warmed.
Rosie
Registered

Postby icelesley » June 29th, 2010, 9:57 am

I don't drink milk, coffee is always black. But If I have branflakes for breakfast the only way I can eat them with milk is if its icey cold, even then its a chore. I think it goes back to when we had little bottles of milk at school. In the summer its was warm and made me sick in the winter it was frozen and thawed slowley in the classroom which made it watery. I haven't drank it since.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby LeCreusetFiend » June 29th, 2010, 11:24 am

I think it goes back to when we had little bottles of milk at school. In the summer its was warm and made me sick in the winter it was frozen and thawed slowley in the classroom which made it watery.

Ooh - that takes me sgtraight back to my primary school! The milk gently heating in the sun as the morning's classes went underway. It must have sat at nearly blood temperature for hours on many occasions! I wouldn't dare drink it now, and the thought also makes me feel somewhat queasy!

I'm definately in the milk must be really hot or really cold camp - there's no room in between! Ice cold milk must hurt any sensitive teeth, and hot chocolate must burn your tongue!

Definately ice cold milk on breakfast cereal or porridge - I can't abide the loss of crunch of the cereal you get with hot milk.
LeCreusetFiend
Registered

Postby MollyPolly » June 29th, 2010, 5:10 pm

I hate to admit this, but I love hot milk on my Weetabix (OK, maybe not so much in the summer). Real baby food.

Sorry!
MollyPolly
Registered

Postby tezza » June 29th, 2010, 8:58 pm

I never touch cow's milk, rarely drink soya or oat or other, but when I do I love it icey cold. I too have nasty, nasty memories of being made to drink bottles of warm cow's milk at 'little' school. Gross! It was all claggy and horrid as it tried to slide down your throat, clinging onto your teeth and roof of your mouth as it went as if to save itself. Blurgh!

I'm with chools - a bowl of hot soya milk porridge with a puddle of freezing cold milk splashed over it just before eating is divine. Especially if there are a few sultanas in there and a small sliced banana. Proper pre-run fodder. :hungry:
tezza
Registered

Postby aero280 » June 29th, 2010, 11:07 pm

Cold! And i used to pinch the cream off the top. But we only get semi-skimmed now :(
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Bazzer » June 30th, 2010, 5:16 am

Hot milk is the most revolting thing ever. Only marginally better than Marshyte.
As a drink or on cereal it must be straight from the fridge.
The Miserable Old Git At The End Of The Bar, On His Own And Moaning

http://www.overthegate.co.uk A friendly forum for country matters
Bazzer
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » June 30th, 2010, 7:01 am

Cold in summer and Hot in a winter.
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby denada » June 30th, 2010, 7:04 am

I never have liked milk to drink, even as a child. I was even allowed to leave my school milk when the powers that be realised after 3 days that if I was forced to drink it, it came straight back up again. So I always have yoghurt on my cereal, never milk. I make my porridge with a milk and water mix and suppose the closest I come to drinking it is when I make iced coffee, but even there I top the glass with iced water.
denada
Registered

Postby Bazzer » June 30th, 2010, 7:32 am

Actually now it's been mentioned I like porridge made with water and salt. :chef:

Bazzer
Registered

Postby chools » June 30th, 2010, 7:36 am

Bazzer wrote:Actually now it's been mentioned I like porridge made with water and salt. :chef:

Is there any other way :D (I know there is but I cannot abide sweet porridge)

KrC
chools

Postby Bazzer » July 1st, 2010, 7:20 am

chools wrote:
Bazzer wrote:Actually now it's been mentioned I like porridge made with water and salt. :chef:

Is there any other way :D (I know there is but I cannot abide sweet porridge)

KrC

Ready Brek?

TAXI!!!!!!

Bazzer
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 1st, 2010, 8:56 am

I was going to have branflakes this morning but OH got to the cold milk before me and just left quarter of an inch left in the bottom of the jug which wasn't enough :twisted: I can't do with warm milk and there was no more in the fridge so I had to have toast.. Why do men do that :?: if your going to use the last of the milk use it all for god sake don't leave a tiny bit in the bottom of the jug :twisted: :twisted: drives me mad.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby AZCook » July 1st, 2010, 1:55 pm

Milk and cereal hater here, since birth! :D I see there are a few of us around! OH lurves both but is slightly lactose intolerant - ah well, them's the breaks!
AZCook
Registered

Postby Wordsworth » July 2nd, 2010, 1:13 pm

I usually have museli for breakfast during the week and the milk has to be ice-cold.
Room temperature will not do.

In the winter I stoke up on hot porridge if we're going walking, and that warrants hot milk.
Again, room temperature or even warm, simply will not do.

Don't often drink milk, maybe at lunchtime with a salad - ice cold only.

There seems to be a pattern here - cold or hot but not room temperature.

I too have bad memories of school milk.
Same as everyone else - frozen or sun-warmed. :?
I remember it being a real chore, having to drink the stuff and I was always keen to take a note from my mum, letting me off, if I has been off sick.
Wordsworth
Registered

Return to The Kitchen