Quick and Easy Meals for One Ideas please

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Quick and Easy Meals for One Ideas please

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » July 5th, 2010, 4:32 pm

At least two nights a week hubby works late which means I sort my own tea out but I do sometimes seem to get in a rut and have the same things over and over.

What would you cook for one?
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Re: Quick and Easy Meals for One Ideas please

Postby ianinfrance » July 5th, 2010, 5:11 pm

When I'm on my own, I'm incredibly lazy . So I'll tend either to make myself something like peanut butter and marmite on brown bread, or do bacon and egg, or sausages. When I'm being really energetic, I'll wander down to the cellar and get a jar or tin of something homemade or that I bought to try out, and hot it up with a spud or two.

To be honest, such occasions are incredibly rare, and in fact, Jacquie will probably steer me towards something left over in fridge or freezer.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby MrsWWoof » July 5th, 2010, 5:31 pm

My regular Friday "treat" meal to myself when OH goes to the pub with the lads is something really simple like coddled eggs on toast or poached egg on toast.

Sometimes I do something more exotic - just depends what mood I'm in.

Mushrooms chopped and fried mixed with a good dollop of mustard and a little double cream is another nice thing on toasted slices of ciabatta or french bread.
Hold on . . . until you find your smile again.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby 18kari » July 5th, 2010, 5:51 pm

hiya cj, i have just had beans on toast which i put some butter and branston pickle in the beans was really nice! :hug: :D karen
who is now slowly getting there!
18kari
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 5th, 2010, 8:00 pm

Like Ian, the occasions when I have no-one but myself to cook for are incredibly rare. I like to make the most of the occasion and not cook anything more rigorous than a fried egg sandwich. I might even buy a pizza! :D

If it was happening on a regular basis, I would make larger stews, curries, bolognese sauces etc when I was cooking for the family and freeze single portions, so that I could still prepare something with less effort than usual. Smoked fish and tinned fish are useful standbys for quick meals - pastas, fishcakes, salads etc. Tortilla style omelettes are quick too - using leftovers from the fridge.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby ianinfrance » July 5th, 2010, 8:24 pm

Hi,
Suelle wrote:If it was happening on a regular basis, I would make larger stews, curries, bolognese sauces etc when I was cooking for the family and freeze single portions,
Exactly. I'd do the same. We do this when we're decorating, so we can merely heat up a meal every day without having to fret about planning, shopping and cooking.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby virtualraspberry » July 5th, 2010, 9:20 pm

I cook for myself about 4 times a week, as others have said I make extra portions of most things I cook and take out of freezer the night before. I find at this time of year pasta with a tomato based sauce with whatever additions you fancy is good, if its a warm night I sometimes eat them cold but if cooler I heat up. I also do the beans or egg on toast too or noodles with veg.

My BF is not keen on chorizo so that features quite a bit in egg dishes or bean stews. I am not a big fish eater but now and again I do treat myself to a few scallops and have with salad. Now I think about it prawn salad has featured quite a bit too recently, in fact salads are appearing quite a bit since the salad leaves are thriving so well at the moment, roll on the tomatoes picked and straight to the plate :)
virtualraspberry
Registered

Postby chools » July 5th, 2010, 9:29 pm

I'm pretty pathetic at cooking for myself when I'm on my own, recently when my OH was away for a few days I mainly existed on hummus sandwiches, admittedly I was doing some DIY in the kitchen but not a good diet.

We're pretty much two peas in a pod when it comes to food so it's not as though I can eat her dislikes when she is away. A pot of vegetable curry that lasts more than one meal comes to mind, as well as easy to make things on toast.

I think I have to concur with Ian, I become incredibly lazy cooking wise when its just me :(

KrC
chools

Postby karadekoolaid » July 6th, 2010, 1:29 am

I either become totally idle or horrendously inventive. Depends on how the mood takes me. I currently have an addiction to Ian's favourite - peanut butter and marmite sarnies, although , being a chile loon, I splash some homemade hot sauce on it as well.
However, one day last week, I had been thinking of new ways to do potatoes and cauliflower. I spent an entire afternoon making Camellia Punjabi's creamy potato curry, a Kashmiri cauliflower concoction with cashew nuts and yoghurt, and some flaky parathas. Three hours later , I sat down to a true feast!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Return to The Kitchen