cooked a new recipe today.

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

cooked a new recipe today.

Postby scullion » January 6th, 2013, 8:03 pm

i've started this thread so that i, and anyone else who cares to, can log down any new and to be repeated (or not) recipes tried.
i recieved the book 'plenty' for christmas and, although i need to go shopping, i had just about what i needed to make this http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/feb/02/recipe.vegetarian from it.
i had to substitute coriander for the parsley, and ordinary plain yoghurt with a dollop of clotted cream for the greek yoghurt and sour cream but it was still good and they will be made again.
very tasty.
scullion
Registered

Re: cooked a new recipe today.

Postby cher_new_cook » January 7th, 2013, 4:41 pm

I made the hairy bikers jambalya from their diet book. OH declared it one the best things I have cooked :chef: especially as it was 'diet/healthy' food.

I really like the book, so will keep a note here of the recipes I try out of it.
cher_new_cook
Registered

Postby FoodMary » January 7th, 2013, 5:01 pm

Not today but whilst with BIL I made the following, it fed 7 of us as niece and great niece and nephew were with us

Chicken with sour cream and mushrooms

50g butter
125g mushrooms sliced
150mil dry white wine
300mil milk and single cream mixed
150 mil sour cream
grated nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
8 chicken breasts skinned
chopped parsley to garnish

Broccoli and mashed potatoes to serve.

melt butter in suacepan add the muchrooms and saute until just tender. Remove from the pan with a straining spoon and set aside. Add the flour to the fat in the pan and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Gradually stir in the wine and the mixed milk and cream and bring to the boil stirring, continue to simmer stirring until thickened. Add half the mushrooms to the sauce along with the sour cream and season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper.

Arrange the chicken breasts in a casserole. Pour over the sauce, cover and cook in a moderate oven 180c gas 4 for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until chicken is tender. Serve garnished with the remaining mushrooms and parsley.

This recipe came from a book called Casseroles belonging to my SIL

It was good, tasty and the kids liked it too.
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby FoodMary » January 7th, 2013, 5:23 pm

Not today but whilst with BIL I made the following, it fed 7 of us as niece and great niece and nephew were with us

Chicken with sour cream and mushrooms

50g butter
125g mushrooms sliced
150mil dry white wine
300mil milk and single cream mixed
150 mil sour cream
grated nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
8 chicken breasts skinned
chopped parsley to garnish

Broccoli and mashed potatoes to serve.

melt butter in suacepan add the muchrooms and saute until just tender. Remove from the pan with a straining spoon and set aside. Add the flour to the fat in the pan and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Gradually stir in the wine and the mixed milk and cream and bring to the boil stirring, continue to simmer stirring until thickened. Add half the mushrooms to the sauce along with the sour cream and season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper.

Arrange the chicken breasts in a casserole. Pour over the sauce, cover and cook in a moderate oven 180c gas 4 for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until chicken is tender. Serve garnished with the remaining mushrooms and parsley.

This recipe came from a book called Casseroles belonging to my SIL

It was good, tasty and the kids liked it too.
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » January 7th, 2013, 6:06 pm

While we were staying with my niece and family, we had a dish from JO 15 minute meals, it was delicious.

Mix minced beef with black bean sauce, divide into 1 patty per person.

Shred a load of mixed veg (mainly asian style) through the slicing plate of the blender, bring some stock to the boil, Parcook veg in stock add noodles leave for a couple of minutes when they'll be cooked. In the meantime fry patties both sides, add honey and sesame seed and glaze over heat. (I then deglazed frying pan with some of veg and noodles and put them back in main pan!)

Didn't do it in 15 mins, but it was well under half an hour.
Last edited by ianinfrance on January 8th, 2013, 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Mamta » January 8th, 2013, 6:52 am

That is only because you had no minions helping you :lol: :lol: !
Last edited by Mamta on January 8th, 2013, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mamta
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » January 8th, 2013, 10:18 am

Mamta wrote:
Didn't do it in 1 mins, but it was well under half an hour.

That is only because you had no minions helping you :lol: :lol: !
Oops. I've corrected the original. But to paraphrase the ad for FamilyHistory.com or whatever "But Mum, I was the minion".
--
All the best
Ian
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Pip » January 8th, 2013, 11:15 am

scullion wrote:i've started this thread so that i, and anyone else who cares to, can log down any new and to be repeated (or not) recipes tried.
i recieved the book 'plenty' for christmas and, although i need to go shopping, i had just about what i needed to make this http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/feb/02/recipe.vegetarian from it.
i had to substitute coriander for the parsley, and ordinary plain yoghurt with a dollop of clotted cream for the greek yoghurt and sour cream but it was still good and they will be made again.
very tasty.

There's a coincidence. I got Plenty for Christmas and the very first recipe I tried was the Leek Fritters. I am no vegetarian but find books like Yotam's ideal for ideas and use them to go with a lump of meat or fish.

I used half quantities but even that was more than enough. The original says it makes 8 fritters but my 50% made 6 good sized ones! and still had some mix left over.

Definitely going into the list of repeatables.

Pip
Our beautiful French village - www.segur-prior.eu
Pip
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 8th, 2013, 11:28 am

cher_new_cook wrote:I made the hairy bikers jambalya from their diet book. OH declared it one the best things I have cooked :chef: especially as it was 'diet/healthy' food.

I really like the book, so will keep a note here of the recipes I try out of it.

Ooh, I got given that book for Christmas - I haven't really read much of it, but you have inspired me to :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 8th, 2013, 11:30 am

ianinfrance wrote:While we were staying with my niece and family, we had a dish from JO 15 minute meals, it was delicious.

Mix minced beef with black bean sauce, divide into 1 patty per person.

Shred a load of mixed veg (mainly asian style) through the slicing plate of the blender, bring some stock to the boil, Parcook veg in stock add noodles leave for a couple of minutes when they'll be cooked. In the meantime fry patties both sides, add honey and sesame seed and glaze over heat. (I then deglazed frying pan with some of veg and noodles and put them back in main pan!)

Got that book for Christmas too ......... I just need someone to cook for ;) :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » January 8th, 2013, 3:54 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Got that book for Christmas too ......... I just need someone to cook for ;) :lol:
err.... invite 3 wildies who don't live too far away?
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby cher_new_cook » January 8th, 2013, 4:42 pm

Patsy - the book is definetly worth trying. I thought it would be gimiky, or the alternatives to use to make the dish low cal I would already know/do, but actually the recipes are really good and hold their own, not just a 'diet recipes'

The only annoying thing I've found is a lot of the recipes are for 4 or 6, I usually only cook for 2, and while a lot of ingredients can be Halved/Thirded (is that a word) not all can be. I wish they had designed it for 2, as it's easier to scale up a recipe than it is to reduce it.
cher_new_cook
Registered

Postby scullion » January 9th, 2013, 10:56 pm

made this one last evening (before hitting the pub) - http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jul/24/one-pot-recipe-yotam-ottolenghi a thumbs up from my partner and a recipe for two. this one isn't in 'plenty' but from here http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/series/thenewvegetarian which is the site from which the 'plenty' recipes are taken.
scullion
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » January 10th, 2013, 7:53 pm

I made Jamie's green chilli from his "America" book last night, which was very nice. It uses pork mince and sage and is fairly dryish in consistency . Nice hum of chilli heat too .
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby cher_new_cook » January 16th, 2013, 3:17 pm

I made chicken and ham tangle pie from the Hairy Bikers Diet Book, it was lovely and I actually prefered the filo pastry top, much lighter than a normal pie.
cher_new_cook
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 16th, 2013, 6:03 pm

C-n-c, you are really inspiring me to try some recipes from this book, especially as I now DO have someone to cook for and he definitely needs to lose a bit of weight, as do I these days :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » January 16th, 2013, 6:25 pm

We have been steadily working our way through two new books that I got for Christmas.

So... The day before yesterday we had Dong Bao chicken and Pak Choi with Shiitake from "Every Grain of Rice" . Yesterday was Black Bean Chicken and Chopped Choy Sum. Today is from Jamie Oliver's Pork Marsala with Porcini Rice and Spring greens. More chinese tomorrow.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Annie » January 16th, 2013, 7:12 pm

I decided to make a veggy chilli today (might even be vegan but not sure on all the contents).No recipe just felt my way through it :chef:

Soaked kidney, haricot, pinto, Cannellini and blackeye beans and cooked them per the instructions on the packet till they began to soften nicely.

Finely diced and onion, red green and yellow peppers. Grated a carrot and a parsnip.

Made a paste on chilli, salt, Marmite, black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic (lots), a pinch of sugar and tomato purée. Softened the onion and added the paste. Then added a 500g carton of passata. It's bubbling away in the SC on low as we speak and smells wonderful. Don't think it'll be ready for tonight though. It's a big batch and will last quite a while frozen in batches.

I see a jacket potato with chilli and cheese in my near future :chops: .

And I don't need a crystal ball to see it.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Lokelani » January 16th, 2013, 7:30 pm

I saved the Jamie Pork marsala recipe when I saw it online. What was it like?

I usually use discs of flattened pork fillet or pork escalopes & attach a sage leaf & slice of parma ham, deglazing the pan with the marsala. Probably more Saltimbocca.

I am tempted to try the quicker & cheaper version though.

I watched an interesting clip about a marsala recipe, I can't for the life of me remember where, but the Italian gentleman insisted that we should use one type of imported marsala & not what we buy in the UK as marsala. I think he was suggesting that it should be dry not sweet. The one I buy is Pellegrino Marsala Superiore Garibaldi Dolce. It's definitely a protected origin from Italy (Western Sicily), aged for at least 2 years but is described as an outstanding dessert wine. I get it from the supermarket though.... has anyone seen any dry ones over here or know for sure which one I should be using in pork marsala, saltimbocca & tiramisu? Or do I need a dry one for the first two & a sweet one for the latter?
Lokelani
Registered

Postby anneskitchen » January 16th, 2013, 9:30 pm

I, well me and a girlfriend made turkey and mushroom pancakes tonight - made all in one white sauce, stirred in mustard and leftover cooked turkey and fried chestnut mushrooms. Meanwhile made thin pancakes, stuffed them with the mixture, rolled up into a baking dish and topped with a quick white sauce made with skimmed milk, cornflour and cheese, poured over the pancakes, sprinkled italian herb mix and a little more cheese then grilled until all bubbly and golden, was really good and creamy tasting and not too fattening which is good this month!! :lol:
Hello edible world!

http://www.anneskitchen1.blogspot.com

Every day is a gift..that's why they call it the present
anneskitchen
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » January 16th, 2013, 10:31 pm

Lokelani wrote:I saved the Jamie Pork marsala recipe when I saw it online. What was it like?
Delicious. And quick. With the advance prep as suggested, Jacquie took just 20 minutes to do it. The pork was delightful, the use of lemon with the greens unusual and delicious and the rice was smashing. Definitely one to repeat. The reason we chose it is because we happened to have half a pork fillet left over from a chinese meal, so used that. As for Marsala, there is a very superior dry type, which one could certainly use to make the two savoury dishes. Personally I am happy enough using the slightly less prestigious sweet Marsala that we can get here. For many years, about all one could get in the UK were two very sweet wines called respectively Marsala al'uovo and Marsala Alla Mandorla, flavoured with egg and almonds respectively. I'd be happy enough to use the former to make a Zabaglione. With my debased taste for sweet wines, I'm happy enough to drink either. Hugh Johnson in his Pocket wine book for 2013 says that that sort of stuff "wouldn't qualify for DOC status. He goes on to say that there are several versions ranging from dry to very sweet, the nest is bone dry Marsala Vergine, "potentially a highly valid aperitif, if desperately unfashionable."
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby ianinfrance » January 18th, 2013, 12:25 am

Two more dishes from Every Grain of Rice. Braised chicken with dried Shiitake Mushrooms, and twice cooked Swiss Chard. Really easy recipes, though like most Chinese food, you need to assemble all the ingredients in advance to make the cooking smooth. Really, really good. This book is a triumph. The recipes are often from Szechuan and so have more chilli bite than some. What sets it apart - for me - is that many of the recipes are really very simple, and what Fuschia Dunlop explains are very typical of home cooking. We're eating like royalty.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Cinnamon Sally » January 18th, 2013, 9:52 am

Ooh, the Jamie Pork Marsala receipe is scheduled for next week for us so very glad to read this positive feedback. I tried my first recipe from the book last week - golden chicken, creamy potatoes and braised greens (can't remember the exact title). Although not wildly different to techniques and dishes I make often, it was nice to bring them all together in one tasty meal and the very quick dauphinois-style potatoes was excellent - I will use this tequnique a lot from now on!
Cinnamon Sally
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 18th, 2013, 11:37 am

I seem to have the FoodNetwork channel on tv as 'wallpaper' these days and been very taken with watching a cook/chef called Jenny Morris who lives in Morrocco ...

I made this dish today

http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes/be ... angia.html

However, I can't quite follow all her directions as I don't have a local Hammam who will cook my Tangia for me :lol: I had to settle for the slow cooker and it tastes quite delicious

I think a holiday to Morrocco is now on the cards ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 18th, 2013, 6:05 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:However, I can't quite follow all her directions as I don't have a local Hammam who will cook my Tangia for me :lol: I had to settle for the slow cooker and it tastes quite delicious

i do have a local hammam, but I think it is heated by a gas boiler gas so they might not do it!

I must check on respectability & hygiene and consider a visit

Ian: most UK supermarkets now seem to sell something called Pellegrino Marsala Superiore Dolce Garibaldi - which is decent marsals, not in fact as sweet as "dolce" would suggest and lovely for cooking
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Lokelani » January 18th, 2013, 7:38 pm

Thanks Ian, for the information about Marsala. I shall definitely try that pork with my marsala then. I like the fact I can use that one bottle in sweet & savoury dishes anyway. It will save me adding to the row of booze I keep by the hob!

I replaced my pack of dried porcini mushrooms yesterday, after my husband used the whole packet rather than the few out of it that I suggested when we were cooking something together before Christmas. A costly extravagance!

So I can do the rice & greens as the recipe suggests to go with it.

That is the Marsala I use StokeySue. It's never turned out a bad meal yet, main or sweet!
Lokelani
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » January 18th, 2013, 9:31 pm

StokeySue wrote:Ian: most UK supermarkets now seem to sell something called Pellegrino Marsala Superiore Dolce Garibaldi - which is decent marsals, not in fact as sweet as "dolce" would suggest and lovely for cooking
Yup, I think I saw it on our recent trip. However it's not really very common to find high quality wines imported here from Italy. I'll have a look for it, but I'd be astonished if I can find it. Thanks for telling me about it anyway.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » January 19th, 2013, 9:08 am

I frequently use just a splash of that Marsala to deglaze the pan after cooking steak - I then stir in some Dijon, a little cream or creme fraiche and possibly a few green peppercorns - delicious with steak and some lamb's lettuce :chops:
“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.”― Luciano Pavarotti
suffolk
Registered

Postby Lokelani » January 19th, 2013, 12:04 pm

That sounds nice Suffolk. I did just that last week with madeira & pink peppercorns. I shall try marsala.
Lokelani
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » January 19th, 2013, 3:53 pm

Just a thought, it's also quite classic to deglaze with cognac instead. Very German.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Seatallan » January 19th, 2013, 4:33 pm

I'm trying a new recipe tonight. It's a Yotam Ottolenghi one- quails stuffed with lamb & rose petals in a harissa sauce. I've left out the dried apricots as OH can't stand them but I think it will be interesting anyway.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » January 19th, 2013, 10:25 pm

This recipe has been sitting on my shelves for years, and today we made it as I bought the most delightful broccoli in the local supermarket.
Rigatoni with Broccoli and anchovies

For 4 people,I used:

4 large anchovy fillets, chopped
about 100 mls olive oil ( with more added afterwards)
5 large cloves of garlic
300 gms fresh broccoli, cut into florets, and the stalks sliced thinn-ish
500 gms rigatoni
Freshly ground black pepper

Heat water for the pasta. Meanwhile, steam the broccoli ( inc. stalks) for 5 minutes.
Heat the olive oil and add the anchovies.Cook for about 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently to break up the anchovies.
Add the minced garlic and stir-fry for about 2 minutes. Now add the steamed broccoli, stir once or twice so the vegetable absorbs all the flavours, then remove from the heat.
Cook the rigatoni in boiling water for 8-9 minutes. Drain the cooked pasta, return to the pan, add the broccoli mixture, stir gently to mix, add ground pepper, a drizzle of extra olive oil and serve. Grated parmesan on top.
Absolutely divine!
( being a chilehead,I added a finely diced red chile to mine, but everyone to their own!)

Drain
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Luca » January 20th, 2013, 10:38 am

Seatallan wrote:I'm trying a new recipe tonight. It's a Yotam Ottolenghi one- quails stuffed with lamb & rose petals in a harissa sauce. I've left out the dried apricots as OH can't stand them but I think it will be interesting anyway.

Sounds interesting Seatallan. How was it?
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » January 20th, 2013, 10:45 am

Clive - that's one I'm definitely going to try for a weekday supper - sounds very good.

From being a "definitely no chilli, not never, not no-how" sort of a chap, by dint of careful subterfuge :oops: OH is now developing a taste for 'just a little heat' in some dishes - we will try a little chopped chilli in with our broccoli ;)
Last edited by suffolk on January 20th, 2013, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.”― Luciano Pavarotti
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 20th, 2013, 1:22 pm

Luca wrote:Sounds interesting Seatallan. How was it?

It was jolly tasty! :chops:

I shall definitely do it again. The combination of flavours was really interesting. I did some saffron rice to go with it and we felt like we should be sitting on ornate floor cusions in a tent in manner of Rudolph Valentino :lol:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » January 20th, 2013, 2:38 pm

Luca wrote:
Seatallan wrote:I'm trying a new recipe tonight. It's a Yotam Ottolenghi one- quails stuffed with lamb & rose petals in a harissa sauce. I've left out the dried apricots as OH can't stand them but I think it will be interesting anyway.

Sounds interesting Seatallan. How was it?

that was this one, was it? http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/dec/21/stuffed-quail-salty-sprouts-recipes?INTCMP=SRCH

ps. left out a comma.
Last edited by scullion on January 20th, 2013, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 20th, 2013, 3:06 pm

Yes, that's the one. I had a couple of quail left in the freezer which I didn't use at Christmas so I bought another four and made a half-quantity for OH and me. I shall try the sprouts recipe sometime as well.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby philFrance » January 20th, 2013, 4:24 pm

We love quails, and can now get four for 4 euros at LIDL, so i'll have a go at that.

For the moment, we do a Spanish recipe, from Penelope Casas, with grated red pepper, garlic and cumin as the stuffing.

Phil
philFrance
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » January 20th, 2013, 4:29 pm

Lunch was some left over braised chicken with a couple of slices of bread and honey and then tonight it's back to Sichuan.

Stir fried Poultry Livers with Chinese Chives
Blanched Choy Sum with Sizzling oil
steamed rice.
Can't wait.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Mamta » January 20th, 2013, 5:23 pm

I wanted to use up some taco shells from the cupboard, so made a vegetarian chilli today,using Soya mince. This I often do, saves me making two separate dishes, one vegetarian and one non-vegetarian. I didn't have any tins of kidney beans but found a tin of butter beans, so put them instead. The chilli was miles better than when made with kidney beans, so will be using them instead in future. The creamy/buttery taste of these beans went well with tacos.
By the way, does anyone else here use Soya mince granules? It is easily available at good Indian stores. Some people do not like its 'smell'. The trick is to soak it in boiling hot water for a while, then rinse with cold water a few times and leave in a strainer to drain. Then use it as normal mince.
Last edited by Mamta on January 20th, 2013, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mamta
Registered

Postby elaine » January 22nd, 2013, 5:17 pm

I love Chinese food and having been reading the posts about Fuschia Dunlop's book - Every Grain of Rice - I checked it out on Amazon, reviews were good and as I had some Amazon vouchers to spend from Christmas I ordered the book, which was delivered yesterday. Its a really good book, very informative and loads of pics to drawl over. So am very pleased with my purchase. :bounce:
elaine
elaine
Registered

Postby philFrance » January 22nd, 2013, 7:11 pm

My favourite Chinese cookery writer is Yan-Kit So.

Check out her books: they're really good!

Phil
philFrance
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » January 22nd, 2013, 8:36 pm

elaine wrote:I love Chinese food and having been reading the posts about Fuschia Dunlop's book - Every Grain of Rice - I checked it out on Amazon, reviews were good and as I had some Amazon vouchers to spend from Christmas I ordered the book, which was delivered yesterday. Its a really good book, very informative and loads of pics to drawl over. So am very pleased with my purchase. :bounce:
You wait till you start cooking from it!! The recipes are dead easy to follow, and the results are quite outstanding.

Today we tried another new recipe. Jamie Oliver's 15 min recipe of Smoked Haddock Frittata with foccacio and salad. The frittata was good, the salad excellent, but for me the triumph was Jacquie's foccacia which she had to make as we can't buy it here. We agree we would be more likely to make the meal again if we could get good smoked haddock as easily as you can in the UK. Here, we will probably reserve the fish for something more special.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby scullion » January 22nd, 2013, 9:05 pm

tonights make from 'plenty' was this http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2007/nov/24/weekend7.weekend3. i know brussel sprouts and tofu don't sound like the obvious bed fellows but the verdict from my partner was 'really good'. the marinade was very tasty AND it didn't let the tofu stick to the pan while frying. another definite remake. i am liking this book/website.
scullion
Registered

Postby Mamta » January 23rd, 2013, 7:06 am

Sounds interesting scullion. There are a lot of ingredients, but most are things you would have in your cupboard/fridge/freezer anyway. You only will have to buy the main ingredients. I should really buy Brussels sprouts more often, I always forget to put them on my list!
Mamta
Registered

Postby scullion » January 23rd, 2013, 8:38 am

that's right, i only bought the brussels, tofu and mushrooms specifically for the recipe (the latter could have been dispensed with easily, really. they didn't add enough to warrant the cost of them to be honest as the marinade flavour was strong).
scullion
Registered

Postby Cinnamon Sally » January 23rd, 2013, 11:07 am

Been meaning to update here as I cooked a new (to me) recipe at the weekend. Slow roasted lamb in paper - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4216 ... eg-of-lamb . I've done similar slow roasted lamb recipes and also cooked Maria Elia's recipes before to great success. This one was particularly good and very tender. I often do a seven-hour lamb recipe which is beautiful but obviously requires committment :lol: whereas this gets similar (although not nearly as tender) results in half the time. Suggested accompaniements were lemon and caper roasted potatoes (I did lemon and rosemary as OH will not eat capers), wilted spinach (I did braised leeks and spinach as needed using up) and butterbeans in tomato sauce (I substituted for slow roasted garlicky tomatoes). I also added pitta bread alongside.
Cinnamon Sally
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 23rd, 2013, 11:34 am

I made a venison casserole, using red wine

What was different about this one, was that I had been watching Simon Hopkinson amking his version of coq au vin and he used a cooked wine marinde, which I don't usually, so I thought I'd give it a go

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/coq_au_vin_15354

I did pretty much as he did with a few little tweaks; I left out the redcurrant as I didn't have any, I substituted a star anise + some juniper for the cloves he used, I used a lot of mushrooms and no button onions, and of course I used diced venison instead of the "Coq"

Was very good, but I shan't buy that diced venison again, as it is not evenly diced, and by the time the big bits were done, the small bits (or which there were far too many) had cooked down to mince.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » January 23rd, 2013, 11:38 am

Hi Sue,

When cooking venison (which we don't often do), I do tend to use a cooked wine marinade, because it can be kept longer, and so I can marinate for up to a week, if I feel like it. It's not a bad idea at all. I have a LOT of time for Simon H, as you know.

I very rarely buy pre-cubed meat for exactly that reason. But then I'm lucky, in that my grip is good and so I can cube my own meat very easily.
Last edited by ianinfrance on January 23rd, 2013, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby spotteddick » January 23rd, 2013, 11:48 am

I dice my own as well ian, but then I have to :lol: along with the wild boar.
I am now going away from the soaking in redwine and rubbing the meat with a dry rub game spice (my own make) then wrapping it in a ckeese cloth that has been soaked in a mixture of redwine and red wine vinegar (or sherry vinegar)put this in a container in the fridge and it works just as well if not better than soaking it.
Cheers

Dick

Just because you're wandering doesn't mean you're lost!!

http://spotteddick-itsallinthegame.blogspot.com/
spotteddick
Registered

Next

Return to The Kitchen