what have you baked today?

This is the place where the bakers hang out. Cakes and breads abound.

Re: what have you baked today?

Postby aero280 » March 17th, 2017, 3:18 pm

Today I made a batch of biscuits and a loaf of bread is about to go in the oven.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Hope » March 18th, 2017, 1:54 pm

i made a dozen muffins with mixed dried fruit in. Took ages to make them as the only way I could manage it today was to do a few bits (like get out some ingredients) then have a rest. I also managed to forget to preheat the oven, then put it on the wrong temperature, so cooked them far too low and had to put them back in again on the proper temp after I'd realised! I'm pleased I managed to do something useful, though. And I think this method of really breaking up tasks and taking more frequent breaks is the way ahead!
Hope
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 22nd, 2017, 7:48 am

Yesterday I made a chicken and leek pie for supper, using some of Sundays roast chicken. For a change I made a pie with a bottom crust - I seem to have started a furore in the press - when is a pie not a pie indeed - even on the Today programme. Should I send them a photo do you think?
image.jpg
“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.”― Luciano Pavarotti
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 22nd, 2017, 10:53 am

:chops: :chops: :chops: :chops: :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 25th, 2017, 12:18 pm

This morning I've made a batch of Cornish-recipe pasties and, as there was some pastry left over I made what in Suffolk is called an Apple Jack
image.jpg

Apparently in the rest of the country apple jack is an apple-based alcoholic beverage ... not in Suffolk. It's made with the leftover pastry and some sliced apple, cinnamon and sugar :chops: :chef: at least it always was. :D
“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.”― Luciano Pavarotti
suffolk
Registered

Re: what have you baked today?fresh fruit salad

Postby hickybank » April 6th, 2017, 7:42 am

Morning all.
I fancy knocking up a bowl of fresh fruit salad, but one that will keep for a few days to have for breakfast.
Any fruit will do but not Bananas as I cannot stand them
Thanks
Terry
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby dennispc » April 6th, 2017, 9:12 am

Baked fruit salad - interesting. ;)

Mangoes, kiwi fruit, segmented oranges, grapes, melons, pineapple, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries - take your pick. I add a fruit juice such as apple and ginger and avoid syrupy type additions. I think Delia adds rum.

We usually have a bowl of some fruit in the fridge and just add to homemade muesli.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby hickybank » April 9th, 2017, 10:18 am

Sorry for late getting back but thank you Dennis, despite my age I cannot ever remember making one but suddenly fancied it for breakfast, surprised there have not been more replies, but perhaps it is boring
Terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby dennispc » April 9th, 2017, 10:37 am

hickybank wrote:Sorry for late getting back but thank you Dennis, despite my age I cannot ever remember making one but suddenly fancied it for breakfast, surprised there have not been more replies, but perhaps it is boring
Terry

:tu:

Freshly made fruit salad (without apples and pears) is never boring. :D
dennispc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 9th, 2017, 10:54 am

I think that as long as you add an acidic juice to prevent apples and pears from browning most fresh fruit salads will keep for 2 or 3 days as long as there is no banana (people who like them can add them fresh on the day of eating). Just add what you like (melon, blueberries, oranges, apples, grapes .......). If I am making one to keep several days I add a tin of pineapple chunks in juice. I love them anyway but the juice helps keep the fruit moist and free from browning. Never boring, always a delight served at any time of day. I wish more people would offer it as a pud instead of sickly chocolate stuff.

As for baking, do you remember those packs of dried fruits which used to be sold to make a winter fruit compote? Always figs, apple slices and prunes with other additions. My family cooked them in the oven in a casserole dish with water and sugar when the oven was on and it was served with custard or top of the milk. I loathed it. I liked it later when I discovered it wasn't bad without the sugar and overly sweet juice, I have always adored dried figs.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby dennispc » April 10th, 2017, 3:50 pm

We've always got dried fruits (bought separately) in the house, soak overnight in water, cook in the morning – add to muesli, keep rest of bowl in fridge. Like Shredded Wheat, no added salt or sugar, plenty in the fruit anyway. :D

Slice a cooking apple and an eating apple, cook until soft, adding sugar according to taste. Also, goes with roast pork.

OH does a lovely compote when fresh apricots are in season.
dennispc
Registered

Postby hickybank » April 10th, 2017, 5:20 pm

So today I bought Grapes, Kiwi, Mango, Blueberries, Water melon & tinned Pineapple in natural juice, so that's breakfast tomorrow sorted
hickybank
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 10th, 2017, 9:41 pm

There's a Mary Berry Simnel Cake in the oven at the moment! :)
aero280
Site Admin

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 17th, 2017, 10:56 am

As well as the turkey thigh, I am going to do a tarte tatin .. really just to use up 2 wrinkled apples in the fruit bowl ;) The pastry is in the fridge resting and the fruit has been prepped, simmered in a sugar syrup and a good slosh of calvados has gone in. I have also added a chopped up preserved spiced pear from a jar that has been languishing in the larder since I did them some time ago (a couple of years ? :oops: ) I also found a tub of cream in the freezer, so that too has had a slosh of calvados and some icing sugar to sweeten.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 25th, 2017, 9:31 pm

Just eaten a slice of gooseberry pie that came out of the oven half an hour ago. :) I bought some Rodda's clotted cream this afternoon in anticipation!! :chops:

I used deli's recipe and it was much more pleasant than the very sweet one I did a while back using an American recipe. But I need to sort out the oven temperatures. `recipe calls for 10 mins on Reg 7 on top shelf, followed by 35/40 mins on Reg 5 on low shelf.

Even though I went off recipe and blind baked the base for a while before adding the fruit and top crust, the bottom was a bit soggy and "just cooked", and the top was on the overdone side.

I was given 2 kg of frozen gooseberries, so I can make two more pies. I might add some ginger to the next one...
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Badger's mate » April 25th, 2017, 10:02 pm

I often make a gooseberry tart with a crème fraiche custard filling. The recipe I use was in a James Martin book, but there are variants online.

Somewhat off topic, we had a really nice gooseberry chutney in Benares the other week. The recipe is also available on the interweb and I am determined to give that a go.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby scullion » April 25th, 2017, 10:39 pm

Unread postby aero280 » April 25th, 2017, 10:31 pm
Even though I went off recipe and blind baked the base for a while before adding the fruit and top crust, the bottom was a bit soggy and "just cooked", and the top was on the overdone side.

heston suggests using a load of small change instead of baking beans when blind baking, as they supply more heat to the surface of the pastry (through the baking paper). whether this is true or not i don't know as i haven't tried it. i use a load of unglazed ceramic buttons, little ducks and balls when i bake blind.
scullion
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » April 26th, 2017, 6:44 am

Has anyone on here ever made a gooseberry pie with a raised hot water crust?

I read about it a few years ago and always meant to get a round tuit...
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby hickybank » April 26th, 2017, 8:09 am

When blind baking I use Delias method which involves nothing & works perfectly

This is what she says
Forget about baking beans – it's really all too much bother. Provided you've lined the tin correctly, as above, all you now need to do is prick the base all over with a fork, as this will release any trapped air, which is what causes the centre to rise up. Then brush the base and sides all over with beaten egg, which will provide a sort of waterproof coating so that the pastry stays beautifully crisp even after the filling has gone in. Normally this small amount of beaten egg can be taken from that used for the filling in the recipe.

The oven needs to be pre-heated and, at the same time, you should pre-heat a good solid baking sheet on the centre shelf. The temperature for pastry is usually gas mark 5, 375 F (190 C), but you should always refer to the particular recipe. Then pop the pastry case in to pre-bake for 20-25 minutes or until it is turning golden brown. It's a good idea to have a peep halfway through – if the pastry is bubbling up a bit, just prick it with a fork and press it back down again with your hands.

Once the filled pastry case has been baked, to remove the flan tin, place the tart on a tin or jar, loosen the pastry all round with a small knife or skewer and ease it down.

http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/ ... astry-case
hickybank
Registered

Postby scullion » April 26th, 2017, 9:07 am

hmmm, so you prick the base then seal the holes over again with egg and have to check and press down half way through cooking?

i thought the pricking went without saying but i never have to check half way through and never have to press it down. baking beans seem less bother to me. if i wanted to seal the pastry against the filling i'd be more inclined to brush with egg after it was baked (and the paperful of 'beans' taken out) then put back into the hot oven for a minute or so.
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 26th, 2017, 9:17 am

Must say I've found the Delia method to work perfectly. Having said that, I do use baking beans sometimes too, depending on the recipe. I like using baking beans- for some reason, it makes me feel all grown up and 'cheffy'. :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby hickybank » April 26th, 2017, 9:19 am

As I said, it works for me & a lot quicker than lining & filling with beans which have to be taken out again.
Your post has a touch of sarcasm in it which is uncalled for in my opinion
hickybank
Registered

Postby scullion » April 26th, 2017, 9:41 am

there was no sarcasm - i was just making a précis of your method. i would not find that quicker.
i'm sorry you feel the need for defence.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 26th, 2017, 3:19 pm

steak and kidney pie.JPG

Steak and kidney pie with rough puff pastry - yesterday's supper :chops:

Chelsea buns.JPG

Chelsea buns this aftrernoon :chops:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 26th, 2017, 3:34 pm

:chops: :chops: :chops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 28th, 2017, 6:57 am

Looks good Suff, lob a chelsea bun this way, I can almost smell'em !!!!

Oven is going on later, looks like I have 8 tomorrow sometime during the afternoon. A Polenta rhubarb and custard cake, I have some chicken that needs cooking for a sort of coronation concoction that will go on crostini. There will be a vat of leek and potato soup as it looks like the weather might be breezy and cool. I also need to make choux buns for filling later on....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 1st, 2017, 8:22 am

Well my 8 visitors cried off, too many Scarecrows to see..... 5 pints of leek and potato soup has been dished around all my lovely neighbours and 'sitters' together with good portions of chicken coronation.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 20th, 2017, 7:58 pm

IMG_20170520_2004412_rewind.jpg
Baked Goods

Don't do a lot of baking, but have done some today for tomorrow's food festival, the WI has a stall
I made the Rhubarb and Yogurt Cake from the Riverford website, as recommended by Suelle. Very easy and looking good
Also made Mary Berry's Little Lemon Drizzle Cakes from the Lakeland site, but I did them in cupcake cases
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 20th, 2017, 8:57 pm

They look lovely Sue! :chops: :chops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » June 14th, 2017, 6:46 pm

Made my first Pecan Pie last night. The booze in it survived the cooking. :) I may have used a bit too much!! :plink:
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » June 14th, 2017, 7:16 pm

Not put booze in a pecan pie aero
I have made Ian's Loo hoo pecan pie, it was good, but I had beautiful pecans I brought from South Africa. Maple syrup in it, but no booze
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » June 14th, 2017, 10:47 pm

I used the Guardian recipe. I found it online....

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -pecan-pie
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » June 19th, 2017, 12:41 pm

I've just done my first proper cooking since I broke my foot ..... I've made a pastilla with the remains of the poule au pot from yesterday.

I based it on the Hairy Bikers' recipe using ground pistachios rather than almonds, but as the chicken was already cooked I put the filling straight into the pie case rather than cook it first, then turned the heat down after the first fifteen minutes and cooked for twice the time in the recipe. It's cooling now and we'll have it at room temperature with wilted chard this evening.

As a pie to bake whilst partially incapacitated it worked well as I could assemble the filling then have a rest, and of course using bought filo that meant less time standing than making a pie with home made pastry.
suffolk
Registered

Postby hickybank » June 19th, 2017, 1:03 pm

Jambalaya for us tonight also hairy Bikers, their three diet book are my bible now, having used them to lose weight I now use them to maintain the weight loss
hickybank
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 19th, 2017, 1:04 pm

Pastilla June 2017.JPG

Pastilla cooling down ...
suffolk
Registered

Previous

Return to The Bakers Oven