The Perfect Scone recipe

This is the place where the bakers hang out. Cakes and breads abound.

The Perfect Scone recipe

Postby Zosherooney » May 23rd, 2016, 9:06 pm

My lovely neighbour has asked me for my opinion/recipe for a plain scone to be served with cream and jam for an event later this week. i just thought I would ask my learned fiends for their opinion ? The requirement is for 50 scones or halves as we discussed. The concern was for moistness and rising agent.
TIA XX
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: The Perfect Scone recipe

Postby Suelle » May 23rd, 2016, 9:44 pm

The recipe I always use is so old it's in ounces - 8oz SR flour, plus 1 teaspoon baking powder and a pinch of salt; 2oz butter, rubbed in; enough cold milk to make a soft dough. Sugar is optional, but no more than a tablespoon. This amount of dough should make about 16 x 2" scones

The dough needs to be softer than pastry but not so wet as to be sticky. Handle as little as possible and only knead briefly. Roll out gently to about 1" - 1.5" in depth, cut into circles without twisting the cutter. Brush sparingly with milk or egg wash trying not to let any run down the sides of the dough. Bake at 220C for about 10-12 minutes until golden and risen. Serve while still warm.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby aero280 » May 23rd, 2016, 9:47 pm

I used to make scones with the Radiation Cookbook recipe, but they always turned out more like rock buns! :(

More recently I've used the Mary Berry recipe with some success. They are much lighter, but I make it slightly drier so that they keep their shape better. They are just about OK a day later, but much better fresh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/tea_time_scones_77839
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » May 24th, 2016, 5:14 am

I use Tamasin Day Lewis' recipe:

450g/1lb plain flour
1/2 tspn salt
55-85g/2-3 ozs unsalted butter
2 level tsp bicarb and 2 level tsp cream of tartar with 300ml/10 fl ozs buttermilk (or sour cream or yoghurt thinned with milk)

Sift flour and dry raising agents, add salt, rub in butter with fingertips, add buttermilk and combine with fingers.

Roll out gently on a floured board until about an inch thick.

After cutting out I leave them to stand for 10 mins then put on a baking tray and bake for about 10 mins.

Proper traditional English scones :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 24th, 2016, 6:42 am

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions, they have been duly passed to my neighbour, I have asked for feedback :D
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 24th, 2016, 7:52 am

Reading with interest, I had already saved the recipe Suffs uses from a previous post. I have always been happy with my scones but later this year my ladies group is having a fun scone-baking competition so I would like to produce something especially good. I think buttermilk is a winner in scones. I have noticed that every time there is a scone recipe in the National Trust magazine they add an egg. I have never added egg to scones but tried it once after reading about it. I found it produced a more 'cakey' texture and wasn't that keen.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » May 24th, 2016, 9:33 am

My scones are better with the egg! :)

But I'm still not 100% happy with them. When I go out for a cream tea, the scones are usually much lighter than mine.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Suelle » May 24th, 2016, 10:34 am

aero280 wrote:My scones are better with the egg! :)

But I'm still not 100% happy with them. When I go out for a cream tea, the scones are usually much lighter than mine.

If you use SR flour, you still need extra baking powder to get a good rise and a light texture.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby smitch » May 24th, 2016, 10:43 am

I use Nigella's recipe that includes cream of tartar. They turn out nice and light. I couldn't find a proper link but this is almost the same:
http://eatlittlebird.com/2012/09/21/scones-with-strawberry-jam/

I sometimes add a bit of sugar to the recipe if I'm making sweet scones but I don't always bother.

It is pretty similar to the recipe Suffolk posted above.
smitch
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 24th, 2016, 11:15 am

I don't make scones ... another thing I've never been good at, but may have to give them another go. ;) I am though very interested to see the vastly different ratio of fat to flour in the above recipes, liquid too .. and yet they all seem to make a successful, light scone :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 24th, 2016, 1:26 pm

I'm not advocating this as the Perfect Sconce recipe, but I watched Ree Drummond (Pioneer Woman) cut out her scones this way just a few days ago, and I thought I'd try it next time :tu: - you have to scroll down; she uses a pizza wheel and makes triangular scones with no waste

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/mixed-berry-scones/

I notice none of you lot use egg in you recipe, I'm always unsure about that (eta I see you've discussed that and I missed it first time)

Talking of the Perfect Sconce - an early Felicity Cloake The Perfect... for the Guardian exists, and even if you don't agree it has a good round up of other recipes, she recommends Rachel Allen

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/apr/22/how-to-make-perfect-scones
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » May 24th, 2016, 5:27 pm

I've been making scones since I was a child, without using a recipe.
This is how I do it:
Into a bowl sift about a cup and a half of plain flour with 3 teasp baking powder.
Rub in an egg-sixed lump of soft-ish butter, using the fingertips.
With a table knife, stir in enough milk to make a soft but not sticky dough.
Do not handle the dough too much, but draw into a ball and pat out to about half and inch thick, on a floured board. Do not roll, just pat out gently.
I often pat the dough into a circle, and cut into eight wedges, but you can cut into circles using a floured cutter. Draw up the surplus, do not knead, put press together, and cut more circles. This should make eight wedges, or 10-12 circles depending on size.
I would rather make two or three mixes rather than doubling or trebling the quantities.

Bake at 180C for about 10-12 minutes or so until done.
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 24th, 2016, 5:55 pm

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: I have just made my first batch of scones... 15 little turrets of perfectly light delicousness - wooo hoooo

I followed Suelle's recipe as I had all the ingredients (I would have had to do a special shop for buttermilk ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Suelle » May 24th, 2016, 6:16 pm

Well done that girl! Are you going to eat all 15 yourself? :o
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby aero280 » May 24th, 2016, 7:16 pm

Now I have a challenge!! :)
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Zosherooney » May 24th, 2016, 9:36 pm

Well Pats, hope you have eaten them all by now.... they sound delish and perfect.

With regards to the triangle method, I have made cheese and chilli (with jeera) ones with this method, totally saves on the rolling out method, one circle, six cuts, end of........
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 25th, 2016, 7:30 am

Suelle wrote:Well done that girl! Are you going to eat all 15 yourself? :o

No ... I gave 6 each to my neighbours both sides... but so chuffed that I have another quick/easy recipe under my belt :bounce: :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 25th, 2016, 7:33 am

aero280 wrote:Now I have a challenge!! :)

I whizzed the butter and flour in my little bamix processor .. this made it even quicker and easier.

Oh and I also made a savoury 'swiss roll' from the left over dough I made last Sunday, filled with pancetta, tomato sauce and hard goats cheese .. baked at the same time as the scones :bounce: Thanks for that idea Will :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 25th, 2016, 10:14 am

Well done Patsy! They sound delicious. I am really wanting to make scones now but trying to stay off flour goods for a while :). Interested that you made them with a processor. I make lovely pastry with the processor but my scones always seem better by hand, something to do with the degree the fat is rubbed in I think.

Love the sound of the roll ... :chops: :chops:. You are making me want to break the regime I am trying to stick to .. :lol: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 25th, 2016, 10:42 am

I've volunteered to make some for the WI on Saturday

The advantage of scones is that hey are so quick, they can reasonably be made on the day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 25th, 2016, 1:22 pm

I make my savoury ones for brekkie and bake them in the remoska. Amazingly speedy ! The remoska is the perfect size for brekkie for two ! + one for another time
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 25th, 2016, 5:17 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Interested that you made them with a processor. I make lovely pastry with the processor but my scones always seem better by hand, something to do with the degree the fat is rubbed in I think.

I thought that too EM ... the blitzed mixture was like fine breadcrumbs.. after I did it I had my doubts but was pleasantly surprised how well they turned out :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 25th, 2016, 6:16 pm

:tu: :tu: :D
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » June 1st, 2016, 11:51 am

My recipe was given to me by one of the Wildies but I can't remember who :oops: :oops: :oops:

Prior to that my scones were pants but since then they've never failed.

Thank You Dear Wildie (whoever you were. I've tried searching the forum but can't track down whatever the relevant thread was). :hug: :hug: :luv: :luv: :wave: :wave: :tu: :tu: :tu:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 1st, 2016, 3:18 pm

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » June 1st, 2016, 4:27 pm

Yes, it was I! I repeated on this thread, just scroll up a bit.
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby Seatallan » June 1st, 2016, 5:54 pm

Thank you 4dogs!! I owe it all to you.... :D :D :wave: :wave: :wave:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » June 1st, 2016, 7:21 pm

My pleasure!
4dogsagain
Registered

Return to The Bakers Oven