Shortbread recipe?

This is the place where the bakers hang out. Cakes and breads abound.

Shortbread recipe?

Postby slimpersoninside » October 23rd, 2016, 11:55 am

Is anyone willing to part with their favourite t&t shordbread recipe please?

I want to make reasonably small thin ones (1-2 bite size) to go along with my morning cappuccino (doesn't that make me sound posh........I'm not!!!).

Thanks.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Re: Shortbread recipe?

Postby Suelle » October 23rd, 2016, 12:31 pm

I always use this recipe for thin shortbread-y biscuits, as the dough is easy to roll out and doesn't spread during baking. However, it's not true shortbread as it uses an egg yolk. If you didn't want to use almonds you could replace them with more flour. Flavourings and additions are a matter of personal preference - it's a perfectly good recipe as plain biscuits too.

https://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... berry.html
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby slimpersoninside » October 23rd, 2016, 12:53 pm

Thanks Sue, I'll give 'em a whirl!
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » October 25th, 2016, 1:30 pm

Shortbread is so easy to make. Just remember the ratios, by weight:
4 parts flour
2 parts soft butter
1 part caster sugar.

Mix all together with your hands until blended, then roll gently and cut out, or else press into a tin (my favourite way) and cut after baking at 180C fro about 40-45 minutes.
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 25th, 2016, 2:00 pm

4dogsagain wrote:Shortbread is so easy to make. Just remember the ratios, by weight:
4 parts flour
2 parts soft butter
1 part caster sugar.

Mix all together with your hands until blended, then roll gently and cut out, or else press into a tin (my favourite way) and cut after baking at 180C fro about 40-45 minutes.

The ratio that I've always used for classic shortbread is 3:2:1 ie 3 parts of flour, not 4, and a much lower oven.

Maybe not so cut and dried after all!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » October 25th, 2016, 2:15 pm

I can't remember what ratio we used but my Mum and I used to make shortbread biscuits by rolling small pieces of the dough into little balls, putting them onto a baking sheet, then flattening them with the back of a fork, so that they made oval biscuits with a ridged pattern

Very much like these fork biscuits, but we used plain not self raising flour, and I think I pressed the fork down twice, once from east & once west, to get the oval shape

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Fork-Biscuits

ETA I think we used the same proportions as Suelle, as that's the Be)Ro recipe and 6/4/2 oz rings bells

http://www.be-ro.co.uk/recipe/showrec30.html?rec=30
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » October 25th, 2016, 2:51 pm

Thank you, more to add to the list (also order bigger trousers online! :D ).
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 25th, 2016, 4:53 pm

Yes, I have always used a higher fat ratio with shortbread too. My grandmother always used a small amount of ground rice in place of some of the flour too which I believe is quite traditional.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 25th, 2016, 4:57 pm

Yes, I have always used a higher fat ratio with shortbread too (and plain flour). My grandmother always used a small amount of ground rice in place of some of the flour too which I believe is quite traditional.

This recipe looks quite reasonable. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... shortbread

When making biscuits to roll out I don't think you can really go above the 3:2:1 method with the fat and even then it needs chilling. That's what we always use for iced biscuits at Christmas for children - using Christmas shapes and decorating with flavoured water icing and silver balls.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 31st, 2016, 5:01 pm

My mum, a Scot, would start off with a whole 1/2 lb of butter and would work the sugar and flour into the block - not rubbing it in but amalgamating it into the block. She'd then press it into wooden molds with thistles on and then transfer to baking sheets. It was the shortest most buttery shortbread ever - I have never found a recipe that makes it like hers. Never found a recipe like it either.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 6th, 2016, 4:50 pm

Waitrose used to do a wholemeal shortbread that was fab but as normal, all the things we liked they stopped doing them. So on went the thinking cap and I now make my own with wheat bran along with the normal rice flour, butter and sugar. It's a damn good imitation if I say so myself.
Zosherooney
Registered

Return to The Bakers Oven