gateau filling with raw egg in

This is the place where the bakers hang out. Cakes and breads abound.

gateau filling with raw egg in

Postby scullion » November 29th, 2016, 6:10 pm

many years ago i was given the recipe for a mandarin gateau that had a sort of buttercream filling which contained raw egg. i didn't find the piece of paper it was written on when clearing my mother's house ( when i lived there it lived between cookbooks - hahaha - on the morning room mantle shelf) although i looked carefully for it.
i've found a recipe nearly similar online but that instructs you to make a syrup with the sugar and add it to raw yolks while still hot. my recipe wasn't made with hot syrup, and was more like sponge mix before the flour is added.
the thing is i can't remember if it was whole eggs or just the yolks, although i think i come down on the whole egg side.
if anyone has the recipe (from the mid seventies) i would be very grateful.
scullion
Registered

Re: gateau filling with raw egg in

Postby suffolk » November 29th, 2016, 6:29 pm

There's an Ina Garten recipe for chocolate frosting which has raw egg yolk in it if it's any help

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina- ... ecipe.html
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 29th, 2016, 7:36 pm

Interesting.

I can find lots of hits on 'French buttercream' which contains raw eggs (for example: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-si ... chn-190263) but nothing similar to what you describe.

Hope someone can help.. :)
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby MariaKK » December 2nd, 2016, 9:31 am

scullion wrote:my recipe wasn't made with hot syrup, and was more like sponge mix before the flour is added.

There's a thread on eggs in butter cream which might help

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3723&p=97921&hilit=icing+chocolate+cake#p97921

I make butter cream using yolks and sugar syrup - it's lighter and no danger of gritty icing if you don't have very good electrics. Soften butter in warm bowl, beat in yolks, dribble in warm sugar syrup and beat away.

Ian posted a couple of recipes - the first uses icing sugar so may be the sort of thing you're looking for. The second is definitely worth a try. I've saved them in my recipe file so here they are:

Crème Au Beurre, Menagère (Household Butter Cream Icing)

2 egg yolks
60 gm icing sugar; sifted
170 gm butter; softened

FLAVOURINGS----
2 tablespoons kirsch, rum, orange liqueur or; strong coffee, or
1 tablespoon vanilla extract; or
60 gm chocolate; melted

This should be made in an electric beater, it's heavy work by hand.

Rinse a large bowl in very hot water, dry it and place in it all the ingredients listed.
Beat at a moderate speed for about 5 minutes to obtain a smooth cream.
Chill until the cream is cold but still malleable, then fill and ice your cake.

Yield: 300 mls

Butter-cream - with Sugar Syrup

1/2 lb unsalted butter; softened
5 egg yolks
4 oz granulated sugar
3 tablespoon Water; (or more IMH)

Flavourings
2 tablespoon liqueur or strong coffee; note or-
1 tablespoon vanilla extract; or
2 oz plain chocolate; melted
1 oz unsalted butter; or more, softened

Notes
1-- 1 whole egg can be substituted for two of the egg yolks.
2-- Flavourings can be kirsch, rum, orange liqueur or very strong black coffee. Up to 50% more can be used. Alternatively, melted chocolate can be used as shown.

Allow the butter to come to room temperature and beat with a wooden spoon in a gently warmed bowl until it’s light and fluffy. Set aside at room temperature.

Put the yolks in a large bowl and beat lightly till smooth. Set aside. Bring a large pan of water, big enough to hold the bowl of yolks, to very hot, without it simmering. Around 80° C.

Dissolve the sugar in the water in a saucepan over heat (use a little more water if needed, to ensure ALL the sugar is completely dissolved before the syrup reaches boiling point). Cook the syrup until it reaches the soft ball stage 236°F to 238°F (113°C-114°C).

Immediately, add the syrup slowly in a stream of drops into the egg yolk, while whisking vigorously all over the bowl. (Electric beater best). Now put the bowl over the pan of hot water on low heat and continue beating the yolk and sugar together at a moderate speed, incorporating us much air as possible. After 4 or 5 minutes, the mixture will become light, foamy, doubled in bulk and feel very hot to the finger. When this stage is reached, remove from the heat, place the bowl in cold water, and continue beating for several minutes until the mixture has cooled to tepid and the mixture forms the ribbon.

If you creamed extra butter "in case" separate it out, Beat the egg mixture by spoonfuls into the bowl of creamed butter. Beat in the flavouring.

Butter cream should be a smooth homogeneous creamy mass. If it looks grainy, or has a tendency to separate, beat in extra softened butter by tablespoonfuls to bring it back. Chill until cold but still malleable, then use it to fill and ice the cake.

Notes: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

Yield: 3/4 pint

It's probably not exactly what you're looking for, but might just trigger the memory cells

ATB

Marja
MariaKK
Registered

Postby scullion » December 2nd, 2016, 10:34 am

thank you, the icing sugar one does sound like it but maybe i'll try the other one, too, as it does sound good.
i can remember how sumptuous the gateau used to taste and feel in the mouth and, actually, so simple to make - especially with the packs of three large (maybe about 10" diameter) sponge layers you could buy (i don't know if they're still available) and a drained tin of mandarins.
scullion
Registered

Return to The Bakers Oven