[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - gateau filling with raw egg in

gateau filling with raw egg in

This is the place where the bakers hang out. Cakes and breads abound.

gateau filling with raw egg in

Postby scullion » November 29th, 2016, 6:10 pm

many years ago i was given the recipe for a mandarin gateau that had a sort of buttercream filling which contained raw egg. i didn't find the piece of paper it was written on when clearing my mother's house ( when i lived there it lived between cookbooks - hahaha - on the morning room mantle shelf) although i looked carefully for it.
i've found a recipe nearly similar online but that instructs you to make a syrup with the sugar and add it to raw yolks while still hot. my recipe wasn't made with hot syrup, and was more like sponge mix before the flour is added.
the thing is i can't remember if it was whole eggs or just the yolks, although i think i come down on the whole egg side.
if anyone has the recipe (from the mid seventies) i would be very grateful.
scullion
Registered

Re: gateau filling with raw egg in

Postby suffolk » November 29th, 2016, 6:29 pm

There's an Ina Garten recipe for chocolate frosting which has raw egg yolk in it if it's any help

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina- ... ecipe.html
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 29th, 2016, 7:36 pm

Interesting.

I can find lots of hits on 'French buttercream' which contains raw eggs (for example: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-si ... chn-190263) but nothing similar to what you describe.

Hope someone can help.. :)
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby MariaKK » December 2nd, 2016, 9:31 am

MariaKK
Registered

Postby scullion » December 2nd, 2016, 10:34 am

thank you, the icing sugar one does sound like it but maybe i'll try the other one, too, as it does sound good.
i can remember how sumptuous the gateau used to taste and feel in the mouth and, actually, so simple to make - especially with the packs of three large (maybe about 10" diameter) sponge layers you could buy (i don't know if they're still available) and a drained tin of mandarins.
scullion
Registered

Return to The Bakers Oven