Panacotta

This is the place where the bakers hang out. Cakes and breads abound.

Panacotta

Postby 4dogsagain » February 12th, 2017, 12:05 pm

I had eaten panacotta a few times, and felt that it was something that I could take or leave. Then I made it from a Nigella Lawson recipe, and I'm hooked. What's more, my husband likes it as well. We had it with rhubarb picked fresh from the garden this morning, and it was lovely!
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Re: Panacotta

Postby Badger's mate » February 12th, 2017, 12:25 pm

We like it too. We generally only buy cream if there are people coming round for dinner. Usually we buy too much and I sometimes use the excess to make panacotta. Typically served with poached fruits as available - rhubarb soon, then goosegogs, raspberries, loganberries, blackcurrants and raspberries again. :chops:

The alternative use of those fruits and cream are fools. :D
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 12th, 2017, 12:33 pm

Pannacotta with goosegogs poached with a sprig or two of elderflower - heaven on earth :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » February 12th, 2017, 12:39 pm

I love pannacotta too, beautiful texture if made properly. I think it's quite an elegant dessert and not too filling either. Never made it though, yet!!
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » February 12th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Never made it though, yet!!

I was surprised how easy it was to make. Give it a go! :D
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 12th, 2017, 1:41 pm

I followed a suggestion from Raja, (Scientist 22 on the BBC) and made a saffron pannacotta with a fresh mango coulis as the pud to follow a Middle Eastern meal, much more to my taste than the usual sweet pastries
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » February 12th, 2017, 2:31 pm

Prettykiwicrazy wrote:I love pannacotta too, beautiful texture if made properly. I think it's quite an elegant dessert and not too filling either. Never made it though,
yet!!

It's very easy. The instructions said to heat the milk and cream together, but I heated the milk, added the gelatine then the cold cream. That way it cooled quicker so that I could put in the fridge. A necessity in our 34 degree heat.
No gooseberries here, but I thought I might use blueberries. Mangoes are in season at the moment.
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 12th, 2017, 2:53 pm

When I was lucky enough to be invited to enjoy the tasting menu at The Old Bell in Malmesbury with Ianinfrance and various others some years ago, we had a superb coconut pannacotta. Pannacotta isn't usually my first choice from a pudding menu but this was sublime, I wanted to lick the bowl.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 12th, 2017, 5:29 pm

I was thinking of making one at Easter. I have some cream in the freezer which was left over from Christmas and having read this thread I now definitely feel inspired to do so. Too early for gooseberries but I do like the idea of a saffron pannacotta. :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Return to The Bakers Oven