Ward therapy baking group - ideas please

This is the place where the bakers hang out. Cakes and breads abound.

Ward therapy baking group - ideas please

Postby TezzaBear » March 8th, 2017, 10:08 pm

I have been informed that there is an Occupational Therapy kitchen on the ward. :bounce:
A weekly session is planned. We have about four patients interested (there are only nine so that'S a pretty good turn out) and we are being told to think of ideas.
It seems we have a free reign and the ward provide ingredients and equipment
So what would you suggest?
I don't think anyone can go wrong with banana bread. Any t&t recipes for that?
Chocolate doesn'T seem to be of much interest.
The products made will be served to be devoured at the next ON group in the afternoon to be served with cups of tea, so any tasty biscuit ideas would be welcome. We have to take allergies into account so no nuts. Is there anything suitable for diabetics or gluten free diets?
I have not done much baking really so would turn to a cookery book usually but they are all at home.
Thanks in advance!
Miss my cats...
TezzaBear
Registered

Re: Ward therapy baking group - ideas please

Postby suffolk » March 9th, 2017, 7:54 am

Have a look on Suelles blog for Brownies and Blondies - real 'feel good food'. Therapy on a plate :chops: :chef:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 9th, 2017, 9:03 am

Do you have to worry about sugar ie use as little as possible? From what you say about hospital food it doesn't look as if healthy eating is a primary concern, but it might be to the occupational therapist.

This recipe is lovely - simple and fairly quick to make, really crisp biscuit, and can be used with other fillings. I've used the same weight of mincemeat as a filling, or you could stewed fruit, cooked and puréed dried apricots or figs, or even try jam.
https://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... uares.html

This is my basic recipe for flapjacks. As long as the flavouring ingredients weigh 100-150g, and you stick to the same weight of syrup, sugar, butter and oats, you can add whatever you like in the way of dried fruit. If you buy gluten-free oats then the recipe will be gluten-free.
https://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... pjack.html

I'll have a think and see what else I can come up with.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby hickybank » March 9th, 2017, 9:21 am

This recipe is ideal for this sort of think. I passed it on to our lovellu Mamta who used it for a similar sort of thing in her local hospital & it went down very well

This fruit cake recipe is quite old. I originally got it from the internet, where there are numerous, minor variations; my mums cake, my dads cake, my grandmas cake and so on. It is a quick fruit cake to make for Christmas, picnics, travel or simply for tea. It does not require you to soak the fruits overnight, so can be made at the last minute. It keeps well & tastes delicious. The recipe is virtually fool proof. I have never had a failure yet. I love it because it is so moist, delicious! It keeps well in a tin.

If you do not want booze/alcohol, you can just use water or some fruit juice, but it tastes much better with the alcohol. Some of the flour can be wholemeal, if you want to be healthy. The top can burn a little sometimes, but you can slice this off & turn it upside down, as with most fruit cakes. Or, you can cover it with aluminium foil for last 25-30 minutes. This amount makes one 7 inch cake or 10-12 cupcakes.
Ingredients
• 4oz/125 gm. butter or margarine
• 6oz/180 gm. granulated sugar*
• 1lb/500 gm. mixed dried fruit**
• 6 fluid oz./180 ml. water
• 2 fluid oz./60 ml. sherry or brandy or water or fruit juice
• 1 level tsp. bicarbonate of soda
• 1 heaped tsp. mixed spice
• 2 standard size eggs, lightly beaten
• 4oz./180 gm. plain flour
• 4oz./180 gm. self-raising flour
• *You can use any type of sugar apart from icing
• **You can use any combination of dried fruit, some glace cherries, cut into quarters, are particularly good.
Instructions
1. Grease/line a cake tin approximately 8 inch/20 cm.
2. Put margarine, sugar, fruit, water, alcohol, bicarbonate of soda and mixed spice into a largish saucepan. Bring it to the boil and simmer for a couple of minutes.
3. Remove from heat and allow the fruit to cool.
4. Heat the oven to 150°C/ 350°F/ Gas mark 4.
5. Grease and line a 7 inch/17.5 cm. square or 8 inch/20cm. round cake tin.
6. Mix flours together.
7. Beat the eggs lightly.
8. When the fruit mixture has cooled slightly, it does not have to be cold, sift in the flour mix and add eggs. Mix well with a folding action.
9. Pour into prepared tin and cook in the centre of the oven for 1 1/4 to l 1/2 hours. Keep an eye on it and if it is getting too brown towards the end of cooking, cover it with a layer of aluminium foil.
10. Test with a skewer to adjust timing. A skewer or sharp knife inserted into the cake should come out clean when the cake is ready.
11. Allow to rest for 5 minutes and then slide it out gently onto a wire rack. Leave to cool completely.
12. For making small cakes, use ramekins or a muffin tray, lined with muffin or cupcake liners. This amount will make about 18-20 cupcakes, depending upon how much you fill them. I would fill each cup 2/3rd.
13. Cook cup-cakes in the centre of a pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes or until cooked. Test with a skewer to adjust timing. It should come out clean.

Cheers
Terry
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 9th, 2017, 9:32 am

This is a good gluten-free fruit loaf, if you have time for something which needs a longer bake. Again, just leave out the nuts and use water instead of rum. You don't need a food processor - just mash the dates and bananas well with a fork, then add the liquid:
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/514 ... d-rum-loaf
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby TezzaBear » March 9th, 2017, 9:35 am

Thanks people. :hug:

I really like the idea of a flapjack, quick and easy, and the date squares look to be a two man (woman) job, one on the filling, one on the dough. A nice bit of patient interaction. :tu:
Hicky - fruit cake sounds yum! The baking session is only an hour long which includes prep, assembling and baking so we wouldn't have time. Plus no alcohol allowed on site at all. Substituting would be good if it wasn't for the time factor.

Will let you know what others think of this idea in our ward 'community group' today. Will keep you posted.
Miss my cats...
TezzaBear
Registered

Postby TezzaBear » March 9th, 2017, 10:01 am

The group liked the idea of the date squares. :tu: So I will get an ingredients list in order for that one but other ideas will be appreciated in case I am still here next week.....
Today we are making smoothies as part of the healthy living group. Yum!
I feel like i am wasting away here but while I am stuck here at least there are groups to occupy one's mind. And these groups do show that sharing food brings people together and baking can be excellent therapy.
Miss my cats...
TezzaBear
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 9th, 2017, 10:11 am

I do understand that the results will be for an afternoon treat and not a meal but thought I would mention mini-quiches. If you can get hold of ready-made rolled shortcrust pastry you can cut out tartlet sized pieces to put in a 'bun' tin, add chopped veggies (if you are not allowed to use sharp knives perhaps a member of staff could do the chopping) such as mushroom, tomato or pepper, a bit of grated cheese and the usual egg and milk mix and bake quite quickly. The resulting tartlets shouldn't be difficult for anyone who can't have sugar or nuts and taste lovely.

I make similar with my very young granddaughter, you don't need a rolling pin and although the pastry gets a bit warmer than most cooks would like, it bakes very well.
There are numerous other tartlets which can be made, plain jam or lemon curd of course. At school we put fresh fruit into baked tartlet cases and covered then with an arrowroot mix to make it look shiny, I'm sure I could find the recipe. If you are interested I can find more.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 9th, 2017, 10:12 am

And of course, baking doesn't have to be sweet - I often feel that those of us who have a more 'savoury tooth' get left out in baking sessions ... what about savoury muffins?

Lots of different options here https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ttingstall

:chops:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 9th, 2017, 11:36 am

Savoury treats could include sausage rolls, plus vegetarian versions with cheese and onion, or sun-dried tomatoes or olives. Mini-pies made in mince pie trays.

Look at the BBC Good Food website, Tezza - lots of well tested recipes there.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby scullion » March 9th, 2017, 12:30 pm

this is another no added sugar and fat free cake that i now make more than any other cake.

http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/ma ... -L728.html

i also make a similar sort of date square, however the 'top and bottom' of mine is made from 4oz each of rolled oats, wholemeal flour, butter and sugar. for the filling i just cut up the dates (or other dried fruit - as suelle says) and stew with a little water until they're a soft purée.

cheese straws? scones? savoury biscuits made with a basic shortcrust pastry mix and then add in cumin seeds, chilli powder or any other spice/herb you feel like experimenting with - they make a nice biscuit for cheese.

ps - 'cocktail pastys' - my recipe for vegetarian pastys is somewhere on the site - just make them tiny.

pps - it's on the good morning thread, on the 24th august last year.
scullion
Registered

Postby TezzaBear » March 9th, 2017, 3:05 pm

Now I do like the idea of something savoury. I wouldn't mind trying the muffins, thinking though may be too many ingredients there on the mentioned recipe.
I just had an idea for rosemary, olive and sun dried tomato focaccia. We have loads of rosemary in the ward garden.
Or a black cherry sweet focaccia, a recipe for which I have at home.
Miss my cats...
TezzaBear
Registered

Return to The Bakers Oven