Bread flour

This is the place where the bakers hang out. Cakes and breads abound.

Bread flour

Postby hickybank » March 9th, 2017, 9:40 am

Many of you may remember I have been makung my own bread for years now.
Over that time I have tried many Different flours, from Aldi,s @ 75pence for 1.5 Kg, through Morrisons around £1 Allison's around £1.30 all produce slightly different results mainly it texture.
However recently I discovered Charlcote mill, this is a working watermill dating back to the 18th century.
I but it in 16Kg sack & can have it delivered free by the miller himself.
However much more interesting is to go over I pick it up myself.
The mill is amazing & the miller passionate about his work , not only does he mill all the flour he also covers all the maintenance on the mill including re-cutting the stones.
They weigh up to 2 tons & have to be lifted manually.
There is a charge for visiting the mill but as I buy my flour from him I get a free tour.
All the grain is sourced from within 3 miles of the mill & is pure unbleached flour so it produced a white loaf that looks like wholemeal but tastes wonderful.

Have any other bread makers got a favourite source for your flour
Here is a link to the mill
http://www.charlecotemill.co.uk/
Terry
Last edited by hickybank on March 9th, 2017, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Re: Bread flour

Postby aero280 » March 9th, 2017, 10:37 am

I tried the flour from the Tuxford windmill in Nottinghamshire. But both my duster in law and I found it didn't give a good rise. I think it was too coarse.

I can get the Wessex six grain, which is expensive, but nice and soft.

My basic bread is made with Marriages white bread flour from Costco, mixed with whole meal bread flour from wherever. Sainsbury, Asda, Tesco, local farm shop, etc. I also add a bit of wholemeal spelt to most loaves. It seems to open the texture a bit.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Badger's mate » March 9th, 2017, 4:40 pm

if I can get there when they're open, we use Redbournbury mill flour

http://www.redbournburymill.co.uk/

They used to have a stall at Hertford farmers' market, but no longer do. We like their unbleached white and malted wholemeal in particular. Otherwise I have used various flours by Wrights (I used to work up the road from the mill and did a Spanish evening class with 'old Mr Wright' many years ago) . Also like the multiseed flour from Sainsbury and Waitrose, some of the Wessex ones, such as onion, sunflower and occasionally by from Lode mill and whatever the stuff is they sell at Hambleton bakery.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 9th, 2017, 6:17 pm

Hi Badgers mate, I have just edited my link as I see it does not work, corrected now
comparing the two mills it is amazing how similar they are, I suppose both built around that same a design everyone knew worked
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » March 9th, 2017, 10:15 pm

The guy on the stall at Hertford was a bit of a character. Shaven head, soul patch that was dyed a different colour each month (or so it seemed), various piercings and a lizard tattooed all the way around his head. Lovely bloke, apparently he retired to live on a narrowboat. :D
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 10th, 2017, 10:01 am

We were out for the day, many years ago and came across Eling Tide mill on/near the Solent. They ground their own flour and we bought some, sadly can't remember how it came out as bread but it has reminded me that on the odd occasion when I am into pie making that I use seeded bread flour for a nice crispy (different) pastry. Savoury pies that is, not sweet ones.
Zosherooney
Registered

Return to The Bakers Oven