Nigella's Old Rag Pie

This is the place where the bakers hang out. Cakes and breads abound.

Nigella's Old Rag Pie

Postby Pepper Pig » April 30th, 2017, 11:16 am

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/old-rag-pie

Has anyone here ever made this. I fancy having a go but am wondering what the pitfalls are. :oops: :oops:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Nigella's Old Rag Pie

Postby Suelle » April 30th, 2017, 11:30 am

As she stresses it several times, I think the pitfalls would be packing the layers too tightly, either by accident, or when trying to cut as directed.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » April 30th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Cheese and honey :sprout: , not a combination I like, never been tempted
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 30th, 2017, 2:13 pm

I think it sounds lovely. Could be nice with some toasted pine nuts in it or on the top too.

Sue, not even fresh pecorino with truffle honey? (As first tried by me in San Gimignano :) )

Not so very different in essence - sweet and salty dairy - from cheese and pickle...?!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 30th, 2017, 2:20 pm

Looks interesting. I really don't like cooking with filo very much and think that the pitfalls would be all the usual ones (too dry, burns easily etc), the advice she gives about different types may be helpful. I can't quite imagine how the 'inner' pastry would turn out either. Worth a try though. If you can make Spanokopita and / or Baklava successfully then you should be able to do this!

Love the idea of adding pine nuts.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 30th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Yes. Have made Baklava before. It was fine but I think I decided it wasn't worth the effort as my Iraqi swimming friend Lulu brings me wonderful baklava from a marvellous wholesalers in Park Royal. Sue, I think you would need excellent Feta and a very nice honey. I think it's interesting that Nigella thinks that the frozen filo is better for this. And yes , pine nuts please.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 30th, 2017, 4:57 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Sue, not even fresh pecorino with truffle honey? (As first tried by me in San Gimignano )

Pepper Pig wrote:Sue, I think you would need excellent Feta and a very nice honey.

Sorry, for my palate, waste of good cheese in both cases :sprout:

Actually re-reading the recipe she only uses 1 TBS of the honey as a glaze and serves the rest on the side, I could probably live with that

I find filo quite straightforward, but bearing Nigella's strictures in mind, this may be because I am lucky enough to get the stuff made by small scale producers, not JusRol or supermarket own brand
I'm interested in the instruction to use frozen, I have always managed to make a mess of it, but that was a long time ago

I would think the end result would be something like strata or English cheese pudding but with a crispy shell and lid
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 30th, 2017, 6:09 pm

Fiar enough, Sue :D I take it you get your filo from a Turkish grocery in SN. I shall have a look in one of ours to see what they stock.
Herbidacious
Registered

Return to The Bakers Oven