Baking Success

This is the place where the bakers hang out. Cakes and breads abound.

Baking Success

Postby Bubbles » July 26th, 2017, 9:29 pm

I have made Mary Berry's Banana Loaf, and it's lovely. Great texture yet light and tasty! This is the 3rd banana loaf I've made, following recipes found online, and it is by far the best! I am now ready to try something else, bearing in mind I am a novice baker.what other simple cakes or breads can you suggest please?
Bubbles
Registered

Re: Baking Success

Postby scullion » July 26th, 2017, 11:42 pm

Carrot cake and lemon drizzle cake - two of the best.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 27th, 2017, 10:13 am

I love a good everyday fruit cake or tea loaf (fruit soaked in tea first). They are usually really easy. I have a couple of recipes if you need them.

I'm not sure where I'd look these days, Sainsburys used to do almost foolproof recipe books and I still use them for cake and breads. Australian Women's Weekly books are usually pretty reliable. It's always good to know of a series where you can experiment with the recipes fairly safe in the knowledge that they will come out well. Mary Berry is probably a good bet actually.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 27th, 2017, 10:34 am

Brownies
A reliable light fruit cake that you can very according to taste (ie different dried fruits, nuts, spices etc)
Gingerbread cake
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Seatallan » July 27th, 2017, 10:46 am

A second vote for lemon drizzle cake. I've been following the same recipe for years (Farmhouse Kitchen baking book) and it never fails (the recipe is for an orange cake but works just as well for lemon drizzle).

Tray bakes of many varieties.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Bubbles » July 27th, 2017, 4:24 pm

Thanks, some great ideas here to think about.
earthmaiden wrote:I love a good everyday fruit cake or tea loaf (fruit soaked in tea first). They are usually really easy. I have a couple of recipes if you need them.

I'm not sure where I'd look these days, Sainsburys used to do almost foolproof recipe books and I still use them for cake and breads. Australian Women's Weekly books are usually pretty reliable. It's always good to know of a series where you can experiment with the recipes fairly safe in the knowledge that they will come out well. Mary Berry is probably a good bet actually.

I do have loads of cookery books but not Sainsbury's. Do have a Mary Berry tome though!
Bubbles
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 28th, 2017, 5:28 pm

Well done!
Bubbles wrote:I have made Mary Berry's Banana Loaf, and it's lovely. Great texture yet light and tasty! This is the 3rd banana loaf I've made, following recipes found online, and it is by far the best! I am now ready to try something else, bearing in mind I am a novice baker.what other simple cakes or breads can you suggest please?

There were some really good boiled fruit cake recipes on an old thread of mine from last year, I've made this one - thanks Ratatouille! - a lot:

Re: is a disaster in the baking?
Postby Ratatouille » March 15th, 2016, 2:45 pm

My standby and always reliable fruit cake is for 12oz mixed fruit, 4oz butter and sugar (I use soft brown) 5 fl oz water (I tiop it up with rum) *oz SR flour and 1 egg.

You put fruit, butter and sugar in a pan and add the water/rum and cook gently for about 15 minutes. Allow to cooll then add egg and flour. Into tin and cook at a moderate/low heat for about 1 hour 15 minutes. Works every time and keeps for ages.

I add mixed spice sometimes and add citrus peel, cherries or even crystallised ginger as I feel / if i have them.

Put it into a 2lb loaf tin and cook at a moderate/low heat for about 1 hr 15 mins. (c. 140 degrees fan)

Good luck!!
KC2
Registered

Postby Bubbles » July 28th, 2017, 7:11 pm

Thanks! Will def make this as it sounds so easy! I subscribe to Delia's website and 'she' has just sent her cake of the week - apricot oat slices which sounds lovely, so will give that a go as well.
Bubbles
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 28th, 2017, 10:19 pm

Just realised, no indication of how much flour, it's 8 oz SR flour

I have also used tea instead of plain water and I don't add the rum. Let us know how you get on when you get round to trying it!

Delia's apricot and oat slices sound delicious!
KC2
Registered

Postby Bubbles » July 29th, 2017, 9:47 am

KC2 wrote:Just realised, no indication of how much flour, it's 8 oz SR flour

I have also used tea instead of plain water and I don't add the rum. Let us know how you get on when you get round to trying it!

Delia's apricot and oat slices sound delicious!

Thanks KC2 I hadn't noticed! Re the apricot and oat slices, dates can also be used, or indeed any fruit. I have lots of apple and blackberries in the freezer so may try that first!

You can sign up to Deliaonlinedotcom and it's free! :D
Bubbles
Registered

Return to The Bakers Oven