Using whey in bread making

This is the place where the bakers hang out. Cakes and breads abound.

Using whey in bread making

Postby suffolk » October 20th, 2019, 9:37 am

We’re making our own Greek-style yoghurt and have whey that we can use in cooking. I use whey for soda bread and scones but I’ve not used it when making bread.

Our ‘daily bread’ is made using this recipe https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/191 ... bake-bread with 400g organic wholemeal bread flour and 100g white bread flour, and substituting light olive oil for the sun flour oil. I often add pumpkin or sunflower seeds.

Can anyone foresee any problems if I use whey instead of some or all of the water in this recipe?
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Re: Using whey in bread making

Postby scullion » October 20th, 2019, 9:54 am

have you tried looking through the fermenting book? i have the feeling he has something on the use of whey.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 20th, 2019, 9:55 am

That idea occurred to me just a few moments ago ... :tu:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 20th, 2019, 10:46 am

I wonder if it would work in place of some or all of the milk often added to soft floury baps?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 20th, 2019, 11:41 am

I’m sure it would Sue :D I’ve found quite a few recipes online using whey to make white bread of all sorts and I’ll be trying several of them ... but as it suits us best to eat mainly wholemeal as our usual loaf that’s what I make most often. I was wondering what others thought of using whey in the particular recipe I linked to smile :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 21st, 2019, 8:36 am

suffolk wrote:Our ‘daily bread’ is made using this recipe https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/191 ... bake-bread with 400g organic wholemeal bread flour and 100g white bread flour, and substituting light olive oil for the sun flour oil. I often add pumpkin or sunflower seeds.

Made some last night. Didn't use any seeds, as it was a first try and found it required quite a bit more than 300 ml of water, but a success, I've not really got to grips with bread since I got a fan oven, I now think the problem has been mainly that I haven't been reducing the temperature enough compared to my old gas oven

Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 21st, 2019, 8:44 am

Looks good Sue :D It’s such a straightforward recipe isn’t it. We find that as it stales it makes really good toast too.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 21st, 2019, 11:18 am

:chops: :chops: :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby dennispc » October 25th, 2019, 8:27 am

Does this help?

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/56643/ ... read-dough.

I see the recipe has only one rise, no knocking back or proving stage. I must try that some time, would enable us to go out for coffee earlier!
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 25th, 2019, 8:56 am

Thanks. The one rise was the first thing that appealed to us as it means that we have fresh bread cooked and cool enough to slice in time for lunch.

Thanks for the link ... it looks interesting.

I made a wholemeal loaf doing a straight substation of the whey for the water and if turned out just great. A slightly softer loaf but with a good rise and great crumb

I’ve also bought myself Wild Fermentation by Sanford Ellis Katz (who wrote the book Scully referred you earlier). This has some really interesting looking recipes for breads, as well as other fermented foods. I’ve not had time to read it properly yet.
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » October 25th, 2019, 9:44 am

is 'wild fermentation' good? i haven't had a look at that one.
'the art of fermentation' will take you a long time - it's just over 900 pages - i've been reading it (on and off for months - probably a year - it's open behind this page on my 'desktop').
i think it's a book you dip into rather than reading start to finish.
it is an interesting book, isn't it? he has investigated so many ferments, from around the world, that i'd never even heard of.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 25th, 2019, 10:20 am

Wild Fermentation seems to be a brief précis of the Art of Fermentation, plus recipes ... I can see it being very useful.
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 27th, 2019, 11:21 am

I don't think either of you are on facebook, but there is a UK Fermenting group with some very knowledgeable contributors … Katz is considered to be the guy with incredible experience - he's virtually looked on as 'god' :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » October 27th, 2019, 1:55 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I don't think either of you are on facebook, but there is a UK Fermenting group with some very knowledgeable contributors … Katz is considered to be the guy with incredible experience - he's virtually looked on as 'god' :tu:

sandor ellix katz has an amazing knowledge of fermentation.' the art of fermentation' is probably the most comprehensive book that's been written. i have a couple of books on the subject but they pale into insignificance. do you have a copy?

i am on facebook, have been from just about the start in this country (i think it was still called the facebook then), the kids would send me messages from school when they had i.t. lessons. i only, really, used it when they were at school/6th form and uni). i choose to use it as little as possible, now.
i lost the will to live with - so-and-so has updated their status etc and so-and-so is feeding their hens on some farm or other. there are a couple of groups that i get email notifications from, from when my partner used my account - until i insisted he got his own. all the facebook emails usually get deleted without being opened.
when i was at falmouth one of the other younger students told me i should join this new thing facebook and went on to explain what it was. their jaw dropped when i told them i'd been on it for a couple of years. hah! some of these young things are behind the times!
i think i have about thirty 'friends' on there - i became disillusioned when people were asking to be my friend who i hadn't seen for years and who i wasn't really friends with even then, when it was becoming a game of numbers.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 27th, 2019, 4:31 pm

I mainly use Facebook for groups, like the fermenting one (though I’m not in that), and local groups for history and community information, and of course backgammon groups
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 27th, 2019, 6:23 pm

scullion wrote:sandor ellix katz has an amazing knowledge of fermentation.' the art of fermentation' is probably the most comprehensive book that's been written. i have a couple of books on the subject but they pale into insignificance. do you have a copy?

I don't actually .., I only make milk kefir, after seeing a Michael Moseley programme about it's benefits, I have made kimchi and sauerkraut, but don't actually like either of them and the scoby involved in making kombucha makes me want to throw up ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Return to The Bakers Oven